Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:04 PM   #21

My browser (Safari) mustn't like this forum software, because all my line feeds disappeared! Sorry about the undeadable block of text. As well, I could only get one attachment added, so here is the other: (this, the second image, is the manual focus shot. The one in the previous message was the one done with autofocus)Is there a trick to using this message editing software with a Mac? It sucks big time from this end, and I imagine my message's appearance is as bad from your end.
Attached Images

KentC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:18 PM   #22

Well, you may have confirmed my suspicion (and genece's, I believe) that it may be the Raynox. Bear in mind that that your converter is 1.7x, while the Raynox is 2.2x. The Raynox would, in theory, substantially reduce depth of field compared to the Panasonic converter, reinforcing the DOF theories about this. As I mentioned, this phenomenon, the discrepancy between normal evf and "focus-assisted" evf during manual focus, only exists for me w/ the 2.2x Raynox installed, in conditions requiring wide aperture & slow shutter.
However, I totally agree w/ you that the camera is a challenge to manually focus, lots of zeroing in. I can live with that, although a firmware patch could desensitize it a bit, since its elecronic. What I do wish is that the evf image and the Focus-assisted evf image would _exactly_ match the finished product under all conditions. This is not the case with my camera/lens combo. But now I know when I can't trust the magnified evf, sort of...
I suspect Panasonic would tell me to get a Panasonic lens. I'll call Raynox tommorrow. Should be interesting.
forestcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:52 PM   #23

Am intrigued with this thread. I usually shoot in auto mode as I don't have the time to frame, zoom, and then manually focus.

Iset up the focus chart of KenC:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...res-chart.html

Took one in auto mode:
Attached Images

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:59 PM   #24

[con't] {Do not know how to show two pictures in the same post}

Took another with manual focus with assist. Both pictures: 8m 89mm F/3.7 1/6 sec ISO80 Spot.

Thay look alike to me. Do not know what I proved.

Stan
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:55 PM   #25

I just took the same shots as my previous posts but with a TCON 17 attached and still at full zoom at 30 feet.

With the TCON 17 attached, the manually focused image and the auto-focus look the same as the images without the Tele. All the Picture adjustments were at low.

For me I think I will keep on taking pictures using auto-focus.

Like the idea that the TCON 17 doesn't visibly degrade the image.

Stan

Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:34 PM   #26

I just wanted to thank everybody so far who took the time & effort to check this on their own equipment. Based on the replies, it's really looking like a Raynox thing, but that may only be due to its higher magnification & shallower DOF. I emailed them today, in any event.
Re: DOF, I can't say this scientifically ( although I'm sure there are formulas out there...) but judging from some full telphoto f3.7 shots of birds in branches at 60-80', it looks like a couple of feet of DOF, if that. This shot is f5. Regardless, I gotta tell ya, focus oddness & all, 920mm is a beautiful thing...

Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:15 PM   #27

Thats a nice photo .....shoot F5.6 to F11 and watch the rate go up big time.

With or without a teleconverter the success rate will be much better...but you need good light to do that with the Raynox 2020.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:52 PM   #28

Thanks, Gene. My only issues with this camera are its lowlight performance, but it won't ruin my day that often. Other than than that, I am thrilled with the camera. I had an Olympus 2040, which I used the heck out of. Of course, one develops a wish list over time. I can very honestly say that the FZ30 met the requirements of that list, which is why I own it. The short list:

1. Much more zoom.
2. Manual zoom w/ a ring.
3. Manual focus with a ring.
4. Separate manual dials of some sort for shutter speed & aperture.
5. All information superimposed in viewfinder
6. Logical control layout.

I mainly photograph wild things, & they generally get impatient while one navigates menus...

The extra pixels are a bonus. I was not miserable before, unless I had to crop more than 10% or so. Suffice it to say, 8mp was a nice bonus.

But to get a little back on topic, I find I like the combo of big apertures at long zooms as it allows one to do some really creative (if a bit tricky) DOF composition that a lot of the dslr folks say you just cant do with a point & shoot. This camera, with a couple of accessory lenses, should keep me busy for a while. And yes, I agree, my hit rate is way higher at smaller apertures.

Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:17 AM   #29

forestcat44 wrote:

try this http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Quote:
Re: DOF, I can't say this scientifically ( although I'm sure there are formulas out there...
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:48 PM   #30

Ok, I emailed Panasonic questioning the Manual Focus.

Thank you for your email.

In regards to the manual focus ring it is as manual as possible due to the
use of physically adjusting the lenses to obtain proper focus. There is an
on screen close up of focal point to guide you as to the focus you are
achieving. As well you can use the focus button located beside the AF/MF
switch to adjust focus quickly. As to the eye piece focus, it is just a one
time focal point adjustment. There is a little turnstile right on the
eyepiece you need to turn to manually set.

Best Regards,
Panasonic Canada Inc
Customer Care Centre
SM

and a follow up message

Thank you for your email.

In regards to the manual focus and your image, it can be adjusted using the
manual ring on the outside and the image should correct according to what you
see in the viewfinder. As well there is a quick focus on the lens to use as
a starting point to focus from. Try aiming at image and pressing the focus
button and then manually adjusting using the ring afterwards.

Best Regards,
Panasonic Canada Inc
Customer Care Centre
SM

Did that help anyone
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote