Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:09 PM   #91

Baskerville,

Wonders NEVER cease as, the reply that I've just received from UKDIGITALCAMERAS (see http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/__...E96C0CE33.html)

has been:

"Hi Raymond,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Yes - we can match that delivered price. Please order online then email us and we can adjust it for you.
style="FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica,sans-serif"

Regards,

Gerard

UK Digital Cameras
http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk"

style="FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica,sans-serif"So, from their advertised price of £189.99 (plus postage of £6.95 - a total of £196.94), they have run true to form and are now respecting the price that I showed them (a total of £152.99 including postage AND a carry case which the other supplier did not offer!!).

Honestly, I do NOT work for them and, whilst I accept that there is still a saving to be made by buying it in the USA as you say, for the difference, I get a UK company (who happen to be within 3 mins of where I live!!!) and TWO years guarantee with it.

Yes, it is very much a buyers market but I also feel that I have found a truly genuine internet company. I'm also giving them a link to this post as I feel that they deserve it - don't you? :-)

Best regards and thanks for all the suggestions - NOW I'll be snapping at 8Mb and "fine" - I can afford it!!:G

Raymond

style="FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica,sans-serif"
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:00 PM   #92

Raymondk

That is brilliant, like you say so good to be appreciated and only around the corner,

what is the final price for the 80 gig ?

When you order tell them that I will give them a call (Andy in Blackburn) on friday to order the FZ30 simply because they treat people right, (is it Gerard) I'm a big fan of good relations between customer and retailer.

I was in California last Christmas with my family, San Fransisco, Hollywood, and Disney but we all want to go to Disneyland Florida now !!

Andy. (Baskerville)
Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:01 PM   #93

Andy,

The exact e-mail that I sent to Gerard (it's to his colleagues e-mail and it's "[email protected] - I understand that "Andrew is currently in Australia on holiday") was:

I have currently found the same article on the internet for £144.99 (reduced from their price of £179.99) - the only difference that I can see is that you're offering a case and are slightly cheaper on postage (your total price being £196.94 as compared to their £152.99 - and I can't see that a case would cost £47 anyway!!!).

They still have to confirm the above price (sorry about the colour change!!) but I feel that they will respect the £152.99 as stated above.

I would suggest that you contact him by e-mail and I bet you get a reply within a couple of hours maximum!!

Please let me know how you get on - I've already mentioned that you will be contacting him!

Best regards and pleased to have been of some assistance to someone here on this Forum - and, from now on, I'll be taking pictures at 8Mb, fine too :-)

Finally, bearing in mind that I've ordered it today (Wednesday, 8th of March) at around 11pm, if they run "true to form", I'll receive the article (being delivered to my work address - for comfort!) before the weekend, I'm sure!

I'll let you know.

Regards,

Raymond (please don't ask me why the colour changed as I don't know!!:sad

Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:04 PM   #94

2GB compact flash and sd cards are $99 Canadian at Costco.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:40 PM   #95

kriptone wrote:
Quote:
There is a LOT of talk around about to take "serious photographs" you need a DSLR!

I'm not sure that Digital SLRtechnology has peaked.I'm not saying it has and I really don't know. If it hasn't theninvesting in an SLR at the moment is risky in the sense thattechnology is changing too fast too invest a lot of money in a camera body only to have something much better come out in a couple of years. If you are a professional, it is probably well worth it. As a hobbyist it's a matter of how much you are willing to drop to get the results you need. I remember when I was into film SLR cameras, most of the technology enhancements were geared to making the cameras easier to shoot for the novice which were enhancements driven by marketing. When you purchased a good camera body there was no fear of it becoming dated.It was up to the individual to improve the shots by manual manipulation.

For myself right now I just want to invest as little as possible so that I can possibly get back in to a hobby that I abandoned 15 years ago. That way my investment is minimized in the event I don't enjoy photography. I used the same approach a few years ago when getting back into motorcycling. I think for me, based on what I have been reading, the FZ30 is clear choice. I just hope that when they introduce an FZ40or other new model, they don't improve upon the FZ30 so much that I regret buying it. At least my out of pocket won't be exuberant.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:23 AM   #96

Pagerboy,

Thanks for that information ($99 Canadian at Costco). Even if I "rounded down" the exchange rate, that's an equivalent of £49 for a 2Gb card.

Using simple maths, an 80Gb's "worth" of storage on SD cards would be 40 X £49 which works out at a grand total of £1,960!!!! In my case, by buying this "off-line" storage unit (which is around a similar size to an Ipod) for just £152, I'm saving £1,808 (which is equivalent to $3,625 Canadian!!).

Yes, I'm sure that there'll be people who'll now say that "having all one's eggs in one basket" is very risky (if the unit fails) or "when are you ever going to need to be able to store (approx) 20,000 pictures (based on 500 pictures per 2Gb card) and I'll really have to agree with both those thoughts. Up until now, I've not spoken about using the FZ30 for taking video but, now having that much storage available to me, why ever not???

Anyway, in my case, that's the route I'm taking. As with my choice of camera (the FZ30), it's really how one sees things and, you never know, I might just need to take over 1,000 pictures a day during this trip to Orlando - who knows???:?

Seriously though, thanks for your suggestion (and others posted by other readers to this great forum),

Best regards,

Raymond
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:42 AM   #97

Meanstreak,

I'm sure that you're SO right when you say that Digital Photography hasn't peaked yet. I'm in the IT (computer) business and I can remember "fighting" to get my hands on a PC which had a processor speed of 32Mb (yes, Megs!) and a HUGE hard drive of all of 10Mb (yes, Megs again!). I don't remember the cost at the time (I'm sure it was around the value of my house :?) but just how silly does that sound today. True, that I'm referring to quite a few years ago but, then, technology wasn't advancing as fast as it is today.

Just take a look at other similar things - "super" mobile phones, hi-fi units, plasma screens, etc... and just think of those "crazy" prices only just a few years ago and compare them to those of today - WOW!!!!

Add to that the benefit of the Internet to be able to find the most competetive price (I've posted several comments about that on this forum) and it's not surprising that the big companies are HAVING to reduce their prices so as to be competetive. So, with huge advances in technology and almost never ending "price reductions", it's really a buyers world - our kids never had it so good!!!:lol:

Enjoy your FZ30 (I saved £130) against the "reduced" Jessops price by buying from UKDigitalCameras here in the UK (there are several posts where I've put a link to them on this forum should you be interested) and I'm not even saying that they are the cheapest although, in my case, they have been FIRST CLASS in all the dealings I've recently had with them (more posts here on this forum about that too - yes, I know, I love "posting" ).

Just enjoy your FZ30 if you finally decide on it. Like yourself, I'm no longer 21 (:sad and feel that I now have a camera for many years to come. Even if I did want to change it one day for a DSLR, by then they'll onlycost around £100 anyway .

Best regards,

Raymond
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:51 AM   #98

My last two trips I took 1300 and 1600 pics in a week, I have a 1GB and a .512GB card and I could have used an extra 2GB cause I took a few videos from my cam. But that looks like a cool device, I just didn't find one around here in my price range.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:18 PM   #99

Hi all,

Just for the record, I ALREADY have my 80Gb off-line storage which I ordered late Wednesday night!

Thank you so much UKDIGITALCAMERAS for such an efficient service and for also pricematching the unit too.

Only praise is due to them - thank you Gerard and your team!!

Regards to all,

Raymond

PS: For those who haven't read the "whole" story, just check out my other posts here on this forum - there's also a URL for them too. :-)
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:58 PM   #100

Just checking back in to see how Kriptone is doing since he was really sick. Kriptone, how are things?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote