Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2006, 1:38 PM   #121

Hey, Tony! Great to hear from you. You are just so cheerful. The Lord has blessed us all with your presence. Thanks for being so uplifting. BTW, I have the FZ30, but I have by no means progressed with it to SLR status. Great thread here Thanks to you and Raymond.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 5:10 PM   #122

Hi Tony,

A belated best wishes for a speedy recovery from down under.

cheers,

Max

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 12:29 PM   #123

Firstly and certainly most importantly - WELCOME BACK "Mr Forum Originator"!!! :-)I hope that you're still recovering as you hope Tony - for my part, like others here, I'm delighted to see you back and posting again on your very successful forum.

Also, apologies for the delay in posting here again but I'm still jet-lagged and sleeping "silly hours" and certainly NOT looking forward to going back to work tomorrow :sad:but, without it, how could one enjoy some of life's pleasures??

When I'm more "coherent", I plan to sort out the many pictures that I took and post some here. I can say that I did also take "video" with the camera and the results are more than satisfactory - unfortunately they're much too large to post here (my largest one being over 400Mb!!!). Also, the "off-line" storage that I've mentioned here on this forum worked a treat which let me "snap away" without having to worry about file space - my total for the trip running out to over 8Gb (yes - Gigabyte!!) and over 1,000 pictures and videos :|.

The picture that I've posted here was originally taken at ISO 80, 1/400 sec at 8Mb resolution. It was cropped and reduced to be able to post it here on the forum. The reason that I chose this picture was just to show how the camera can be used by a "novice" as the picture was taken by my girlfriend (sorry angel for calling you a novice!!) with the attempt to show the "jumping water" which can be seen just about to cross the "E" of "Epcot". I'm sure that you'll agree that she succeeded!!

That's it for the moment. Repeating what I said before - WELCOME BACK Tony - our thoughts are with you! God Bless. Will post again soon.

Regards to all,

Raymond
Attached Images

RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 5:10 PM   #124

i do not particulary want to go to a dslr, because of the price of a macro lens, i know i can buy a dslr with a lens to cover a lot of the panasonic length, but without the macro, i have been told the dslr would also give better results, however, i would have to take my ultra zoom with me as well as dslr for any macro pictures, (as when i go out i shoot what ever takes my fancy), to cover the full range, until i can buy a macro lens, that would be in the distant future though.

from reading some of this thread in its early days, i get the impression you love your fz-30, however i am grossly concerned about the noize, i will only use it in auto / scene modes, i have read so many reports saying how good this camera is, but then slates it re the noize issue, main reason for buying it is the i.s., in your view should i be concerned about noize as i do not wish to use software, to clean images up, other than to crop my images, :?
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 5:42 PM   #125

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
i do not particulary want to go to a dslr, because of the price of a macro lens, i know i can buy a dslr with a lens to cover a lot of the panasonic length, but without the macro, i have been told the dslr would also give better results, however, i would have to take my ultra zoom with me as well as dslr for any macro pictures, (as when i go out i shoot what ever takes my fancy), to cover the full range, until i can buy a macro lens, that would be in the distant future though.

from reading some of this thread in its early days, i get the impression you love your fz-30, however i am grossly concerned about the noize, i will only use it in auto / scene modes, i have read so many reports saying how good this camera is, but then slates it re the noize issue, main reason for buying it is the i.s., in your view should i be concerned about noize as i do not wish to use software, to clean images up, other than to crop my images, :?

Noise in the FZ30 is only an issue in low-light (such as indoors without flash) shots at ISO 400. Otherwise it is not really a factor. The subject is more than covered in many strings in these forums.

On the other hand, my DSLR, the Konica Minolta Maxuum 5D goes up to ISO 3200 and still has less noise than the FZ30 at ISO400. That's a gain of 3 f-stops. This more than makes up for the slower ultra-zoom lens I have attached. By the way, most DSLR lenses have a macro setting. I can zoom in all the way to 11x with my Tamron 28-300 lens from about a foot away. You got to step six feet back with the FZ30 to use your zoom, even in macro mode. In addition, I can attach my Nikon 4t to the front of the lens and get super macro shots.

The FZ's are great digiccams. They are good spring board if the DSLR is out of the question, or an end-all for the casual photographer or ambitious amateur. I am thinking about adding an FZ5 or FZ7 for light carry-on purposes.But it made no sense for me to keep the FZ30 at its size after getting an all-in-one image stabilized ultra-zoom DSLR for about $650 in the KM5D with the Tamron 28-300 lens. For super low-light purposes I also have a fixed 50mm 1.7 lens as well as a 100-400 telezoom and other toys. I like that flexibility combined with the practicality of an all-in-one solution.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:09 AM   #126

Dear Ruduv,

Nice pics. I just bought FZ30 a month back and took some pics. I am 70 and a Hobbyist since I was 12. I used Nikon Coolpix990 for 6years and now Totally Dead and took over 10,000 pics with that. Some good ones and appreciated by Nikon people. Now I love my FZ30 and no problem till now with all sort of pics. I have also .05 Wide (15mm onward) with Macro and sending pics here. Sorry I am still amateur

Harbhajan Khanna India
Attached Images

harbhajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:16 AM   #127

Hi All

After some more health worries I forced myself to take some pictures to take my mind off things! Of 96 pictures taken over about an hour yesterday, 2 stick out as being not bad!

What do other contributors think? Perhaps we could start a mini-competition?

Exposure details for both images: Panasonic FZ30, 8mp, 80 ISO, 1/250th sec @f5.6

Images cropped to fit on site

Regards

Tony
Attached Images

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:18 AM   #128

Hi All

This is the second of the 2 out of the 96 that could be termed a (bee)keeper - Sorry, couldn't resist it!!! Again, your comments good, bad or indifferent, are more than welcome.

Regards

Tony
Attached Images

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:17 AM   #129

Good to see you back, Tony. Nice shots, especially since you used no added macro lens. Well done.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:37 AM   #130

harbhajan wrote:
Quote:
Dear Ruduv,

Nice pics. I just bought FZ30 a month back and took some pics. I am 70 and a Hobbyist since I was 12. I used Nikon Coolpix990 for 6years and now Totally Dead and took over 10,000 pics with that. Some good ones and appreciated by Nikon people. Now I love my FZ30 and no problem till now with all sort of pics. I have also .05 Wide (15mm onward) with Macro and sending pics here. Sorry I am still amateur

Harbhajan Khanna India

Thanks for the nice words. You seem like a very interesting man. I would love to see more shots from India.

Rainer