Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:31 PM   #141

Yeah, it pretty simple, same as attaching a file to an email. You browse for it and attach it. Just make sure it's not bigger than 200k. Otherwise resize first.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:13 AM   #142

Hi Teree

I am sure it IS NOT because you are "a little slow" more likely that this site is so popular its browser can't cope - occassionally! (That was NOT meant to be derogatory in any way to Steve's excellent site by the way)

Try uploading them again by using the browse button at the bottom of the Post Reply Screen - also ensure your file size is not too big otherwise it will not be accepted - maximum 250400 bytes

Another picture for your (and everyone else's of course) consideration. One of my earliest attempts at a macro shot with the Panasonic FZ30, (taken 6th February 2006 14 days after camera purchase, 11 days after being diagnosed with bladder, now bladder and bowel, cancer) edited version of original with extra sharpening, extra blue added in.

Original exposure details: 80 ISO, (flash fired), f3.2 1/30sec, flashed fired on auto mode, (STILL haven't learned how to drive it it properly, 5 months later!) , 4x digital used

resized for site restrictions on size.

Best Wishes

Tony

Attached Images

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:02 PM   #143

I have just read all the FZ30 v DSLR chat & am absolutely fascinated, because I have a KM Dimage Z3 (with a Raynox 2020) at present, & intend to upgrade either to an FZ30 (with which I could still use my Raynox) or the new Sony Alpha A100. The argument so far seems to be very even, but I feel the Sony just tips the balance to the DSLR for me. My key need is to capture a bird at long range & to be able to blow it up to a sharp 7 x 5 or so.

What lens would I need to give me the equivalent of my present set-up - approx. 920mm (35 mm equivalent) ? I am not worried about wide angle or macro 'cos I can keep my Z3 for that (I have a KM wide angle converter)

I know it is early days for any gen. on the Sony, but I would be very grateful for any views.

Ilex
ILEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:45 PM   #144

Hi Ilex

Firstly, welcome - I do not recollect having the pleasure of responding to your posts before.

I am afraid I know nothing about the Sony Alpha you mention, sorry.

I am also sorry but I know of NO prosumer (non SLR) digicam that will give 900+mm without the aid of either digital zooming or an auxillary lens. The FZ30 without any extra lens, can go to 420mm, The 4x digital zoom at 4x = 1680 with it, @8mp, and even more if you reduce the amount of mp you use, just be aware that you will lose quality if you go down the lower mp route. Also using digizoom give less quality - as will upping the ISO speed to try and combat camera shake. To combat Camera shake, use the MEGA OIS, oh, AND a Decent Tripod!!!

Regards

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:45 PM   #145

Hi, Tony,

Thanks for your welcome. It was the first time I have used the site.

The 920mm I get is the combination of 420mm from the bare Z3 (as on th Fz 30) times the 2.2 from the Raynox 2020. Thanks for mentioning the uselessness of digital zoom & the need for a tripod. Although I am new to photography & in my seventies I am aware of both those points, but I am grateful for any tips, as I am still pretty clueless - and slow to learn !

Regards, Ilex
ILEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:32 PM   #146

Hi Tony,

I've been reading this topic for quite sometimes and I think it's time for me to say hi to you. I used to be like a lot of people here, tried to choose between a DSLR and FZ30 and ended up buying the FZ30. The reasons are simple:

1. I want a camera that would cover pretty much all the range from (almost) wide angle to telephoto. Now, the FZ30 is not really cover the wide angle but 35mm is not too bad and I can always get a wide angle converter later (which I already have at this point, mine is a .5X which convert the FZ30 into a 17.5mm). As far as telephoto concern, 420mm is more than enough for me (I'm almost never have to zoom that close, usually only around 200mm would do the trick in most cases). A DSLR can do the same but I'll have to spent between $500-$1000 more to cover all that.

2. Interchangeable lens has its own weekness. I'm living in a desert so sand and dirt are always the issue. I went to Valley of Fire National Park couple weeks ago (some of you guys might already saw the photos). By the end of the day, my camera was covered with dust. I had to spent an hour cleaning it. If I used a DSLR, that could have been a major headache and I may have to send the body back for professional cleaning process because I took photos at all distances that you can imagine on that trip (means I'll have to change lens all the time if I used a DSLR and risk a chance to expose the sensor to dust).

3. A live view LCD is very handy. A lot of people said no way the EVF can match the clarity of an optical viewfinder. That may be true but nobody can deny that a live view LCD can be more useful and help a photographer become more creative. I've taken a bunch of photos at odd angles and always think, how would I do that if I really have to put my eye against the viewfinder? Would I lay down in the middle of the street? Do I have to carry around a step ladder? Situations like that happen to me a lot and thanks to a live view LCD. I can still take the picture with ease.

4. VDO capability, this may not important to some people. But I think be able to capture a VDO without carrying a camcorder on top of a still camera is pretty cool. when I went to see fountain at Bellagio hotel, I can capture both Video and still pictures. I don't think a DSLR can do that just yet because a DSLR structure is not all that flexible to make this happen.

5. SD card!! That's perhaps the most popular media for all electronics devices right now. I have a bunch of them all over the place so it just make sense for me to buy the FZ30 instead of something else says Canon 350D, Nikon D70s or Olympus E500 etc. I don't have to buy a new memory card.

Now, I'm not saying that a DSLR is not good. Professionals are using DSLRs for reasons and I'm looking for one myself. The reason why we still need a DSLR is mainly because noise level is much better than an EVF camera like FZ30 but again, noise level is very subjective. I don't think it's a big problem as long as it's not bother the photographer. I used my FZ30 mostly at night and it's not bother me.

Let me post one of my photo first and we continue later.......
Attached Images

Sandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:45 PM   #147

Hi again, Tony and everyone,

Now, another reason why we still need a DSLR is because we can change lens to fit the situation. I don't really care much about long telephoto zoom but wide angle and a real macro lens would be nice. However, those lens come with price. I took this close up photo 6 weeks ago. It's no 'Canon EOS 30D+150mm Macro' quality kind of image. But by all mean, FZ30+ a $70 close up lens can create this photo that I think it's not too bad for an amatuer (who had never done a close up before) like me.
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:52 PM   #148

Another reason for buying a DSLR is speed, start up time, shutter lag, etc.

I caught this bird flying toward the lake and as soon as I started up my camera, I took the shot in less than a second ( at least that's how I felt at the moment). And that was before I read the manual for my FZ30.
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:00 PM   #149

There's another reason why we like a DSLR, there's no shutter B funtion on the FZ30. Most people don't think it's important but it could come handy when you try to take photos of firework.

I took this firework photo (and many more) on the 4th of July without shutter B, remote shutter, etc. (not to mention the FZ30 took times to process after the shot finished, still...)
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:08 PM   #150

For one last photo today.......

I took this photo of Hoover Dam 4 days ago. It's actually 2 shots (with .5 wide angle lens) put together. All I can say is I can't take this shot with a DSLR because there's no way I can reach out that far to compose this shot behind an optical viewfinder.

The flipped live view LCD on my FZ30 and a tripod made this shot possible......

Thank you, Tony and everyone, to make this topic very interesting and inspiring.
Attached Images