Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:21 PM   #151

Thank you Sandhill for sharing your thoughts on the FZ30 and DSLR and your spectacular photos. Goooooo FZ30!!! :lol: You inspire me to get my photos up.

Thank you Tony for your encouraging words. I will try to size down the picture again. My problem is that I don't seem to be able to adjust the bytes amount, only the ability to change pixal amount and resizing picture ininches, cm, mm. When I shrink it down to the size of even an avatar pic, 200 pixals by 200 pixals, the number of bytes still show way over the amount allowed for posting. I use Paint Shop Pro if anyone has any ideas.

Well, here I go again. Wish me luck all.

Gosh! I sure hope the picture will be worth all this discussion. haha

"I'll be back..."

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:29 PM   #152

ILEX wrote:
Quote:
I have just read all the FZ30 v DSLR chat & am absolutely fascinated, because I have a KM Dimage Z3 (with a Raynox 2020) at present, & intend to upgrade either to an FZ30 (with which I could still use my Raynox) or the new Sony Alpha A100. The argument so far seems to be very even, but I feel the Sony just tips the balance to the DSLR for me. My key need is to capture a bird at long range & to be able to blow it up to a sharp 7 x 5 or so.

What lens would I need to give me the equivalent of my present set-up - approx. 920mm (35 mm equivalent) ? I am not worried about wide angle or macro 'cos I can keep my Z3 for that (I have a KM wide angle converter)

I know it is early days for any gen. on the Sony, but I would be very grateful for any views.

Ilex

Ilex,

I can definitely recommend the Sony Alpha A100. I own its predecessor, the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, and it's one great camera. I added the Tamron 28-300XR ($145 on ebay from Cameta Auctions) whichwith the APS-C sensor gives me the equivalent of 42-450mm. Thus I got an 11x ultra-Zoom DSLR with built-in image stabilization. I ended up selling the FZ30 because I no longer had a need for it. You can also add a 2X teleconverter to get your 900mm equivalent. And then, of course, you have the option to get wider, longer, faster and other specialty lenses if you so choose. But with the Tamron 28-300XR 3.5-6.3, the Sony will give you everything and much more than the FZ30 can, and it's all-in-one without having to lug a big bag around. Naturally, you lose a couple of f-stops at the tele-end (6.3 vs. 3.7), but you make more than up for it by gaining three f-stops because you still get better pictures on the KM5D or Sony Alpha at ISO3200 than you would with the FZ at ISO 400. The ONLY thing I miss (but very rarely) is the swivel LCD. But even that can be found now as an accessory to attach to the optical viewfinder.

This subject has been discussed in detail in many other threads, such as these:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Hope that helps.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

See
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:34 AM   #153

Hi all! I'm back with my head swimming with new knowlege on how to post. I found a place for newbies like me on Steves forums specifically for posting images. YES YES YES. Now I will try my hand at posting my stink but again. And by now it has been a stinker to figure out for me :lol:ha ha! If this works, I will post more. Here I goooooo!

YEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! It worked!!!! :-D Here is the link to where I found info on posting for newbies.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

It's illustrated and everything. I need to look at the pictures.
Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:48 AM   #154

Hi Teree

In an earlier post you suggested your picture might not be worthy of comment, WRONG, it is Excellent!

Regards

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:16 PM   #155

Hi Rainer,

Many thanks for that info. I'm a bit confused about "losing f-stops". Does it just mean getting less light ? I think what I really need to know is which camera will enable me to get a larger print for a given focal length & distance to target ? It seems as though the answer is the DSLR - mainly because of the larger sensor ?

Ilex
ILEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:11 PM   #156

Yes, losing f-stops means losing light transmission. Each stop halves the light transmitted through the lens. Aperture f-stops in sequence from the brightest to the dimmest are 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, 31, etc. Thus, the smaller the number the larger the aperture, the more light is being transmitted. At the same time you need twice the exposure timewith each smaller aperture step (f-stop). Thus if the correct exposure is 1/125th at f5.6, you can also use 1/250th at f4.0 or 1/60th at f8. Get it? At the same time each doubling of the ISO value also makes you gain one f-stop. If 1/125th at f5.6 is correctwith ISO 100, you can use 1/250th at f5.6 with ISO200, and 1/500th with ISO400, etc.

In the previous context that means, while the FZ30 gives you a maximum aperture of 3.7 at 420mm, and the Tamron 28-300 on the KM5D's maxes out at f6.3 at its tele-end, you can still boost up the sensitivity to ISO 3200 instead of the FZ's maximum (and basically unusable) ISO 400 and therefore net 1-f-stop gain. You loose two f-stops in the aperture, but gain three in the ISO.

Get it? Basic photography stuff. You got to think in f-stops in order to master photography and be a little more than a point and shoot guy.

Here are some samples of the KM5D with the Tamron 28-300XR at high ISO's:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...558167#p558167

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:02 PM   #157

Thank you so much Tony,

By the way, I suppose you noticed I accidently called my little friend a "stink but" earlier. It is a Stink BuG. haha. He was taken in my back yard at very close range. I was so glad he turned out. Here is another photo (now that I can post I may go wild with it) :lol:

This is a picture taken in March just a couple of weeks after I got my FZ30 in February. I was so excited to see these little critters I must have taken 30 pictures of the same thing. I started out pretty far away using the zoom but eased in closer and closer taking pictures along the way. Didn't want to scare them off. I finally ended up taking this picture about 3 feet away. They are Gulf Fritellaries "resting" on a Hibiscus leaf.

Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:10 PM   #158

And here is a dragonfly, whom I also eased up on, taking alot ofpictures as I got closer. I managed to get about a foot away from this big fellow. It was taken at a nature sanctuary and he was the highlight of my day (well, for picture taking).
Another photographer happened behind me and I pointed the dragonfly out to him. He was equally thrilled to get some pictures as well.
I lovedit's green eyes!

Attached Images

Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:47 PM   #159

Hi Teree

See you have mastered the art of posting pictures

Goes for all ones posted so far too, nice work!

Tony
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:53 PM   #160

Hi Sandhill

Nice photographs. One question I have though - how did you get the "copyright" mark on them? I have not investigated such a thing and was wondering how it is done? To anyone who is now thinking, "That Tony, he is thick, it's easy" I'm sorry but I don't know!!

My reason for asking is that the benefits of doing this are obvious, or at least should be and I am certainly not going to belittle any forum member's intelligence by going into them here!!!

Regards

Tony