Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:24 PM   #161

Fascinating thread and some great pictures. I actually went the other way. I have a DSLR outfit with all the bells and whistles (based aroundNikon D2x and D200)and I also have a small pocket digicam (Casio Z750) which goes everwhere with me.I have plenty ofgreat sharp fast lenses for the DSLR but I don't own a "Superzoom" as a one lens walking around kit when I want to travel light. I decided to buy one of the 18-200VR lenses for about £5-600 to use with the D200. These lenses were hard to come by so I looked at the FZ30 out of desperation. Here for about half the price of the lens I got a longer zoom, faster maximum aperturestill with IS manual zoom and focus rings an Ok flash and a screen I can use for overhead and low shotsetc etc + a video mode to boot. Now the SLR is fasterhas better optics etc but I would be wandering around with about 2K in my hand as opposed to 250, this is capable of taking really good pictures.

I am really happy, I take the FZ30 when I can't justify taking the SLR on business etc. Even when I have got the SLR, for just walking around a cityI can leave the kit safe in the room and take the FZ which is a more compact lightweight low risk solution. AllI wish is that it went toawider angle. I have got a 0.7xconverter but that adds a lot to the bulk.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:31 PM   #162

Hi again everyone

Medical Update, unfortunately I now have bowel cancer too, as well as bladder cancer, which is a bit of a pain in the a*** to say the least!

Anyway - time, or the lack of it I have, got me thinking the other day, so I took a picture, hope you like it

Regards

Tony
Attached Images

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:51 PM   #163

Tony,

Hang on in there mate, it's not good news for sure but lets hope the medical staff can give you hope ? I know everyone on here wants you to be well, keep smiling you are an inspiration on this forum and have contributed so much after all you have been through.....I just wish we could help you.

Baskerville.
Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:57 AM   #164

WOW - and hi there again Tony,

Like Baskerville, I can only echo his words as I'm sure you're not going through happy times there.

I'm sure that ALL of us here on this Forim wish you all the strength and desire that you'll need to beat all that's trying to beat you at the moment.

If there's really anything that any of us can do in any way, please repost on this forum and I'm sure you'll be flattered with the response.

Trust me, you deserve it.

STAY STRONG!!!!

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:02 PM   #165

Yes, I can only agree that "Attitude determines Altitude" and in this Tony, I believe you soar higher than most of us. Our prayers are with you. Echo, Echo, Echo of all the above posts. Thanks for being the inspiration that you are.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:06 PM   #166

I recently upgraded from FZ 10 to dslr. Considering the price difference between FZ 30 and pentax ist dl2 I just couldn't go to FZ 30. It's 50 punds more than ist, has slower autofocus and lower iso range. I know I'm going to end spending more buying lenses but I think I'll be more happy with dslr. Losing couple f stops is made up with higher clean iso, it also has better DOF control when shooting macro.I upgraded because my old FZ 10 was off with WB when shooting landscapes, the battery was dying after just 3 hours and wasn't very good at shoting candids due to slow AF in low light. I don't know how ist would compare to FZ 30 in terms of picture quality (probably not much difference due to Leica lens) and overral handling but for this price I had to take pentax. I still think FZ are great cameras and if I had FZ 30 I probably wouldn't upgrade but from FZ 10 I didn't hesitate. Besides, pentax can take almost any old pentax mount lens (which can be cheap to get on eBay), uses AA batteries (good rechargables last for much longer than 2 years old FZ 10 battery), and I didn't have to buy memory because it takes SD cards.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:27 PM   #167

Hello Tony,

Like Baskerville, RamandK and bayourebel have already stated, you are an inspiration and have contributed so much and all of us here in this thread and throughout the Panasonic forum family want to see you feeling better soon. Just from reading your many posts in this forum, I have been impressed with your sensitivity, kindness and amazingly optimisticattitude. Thank you again for providing such a great place to chat, post pics, and compare info.

Please get well as fast as you can. I want to see more of your pictures and hear how you are doing.

Sincerely,

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:42 PM   #168

Here are a couple of pics that will hopefully cheer you up next time you log on. :-)

This first picture is of a Viceroy butterflyand isone of several first attempts attaking action shots of a butterfly in flight.
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:49 PM   #169

And this one is of a very sweet squirrel who comes to visit nearly every day. She is quite friendly and I am actally this close to her as she rests on this branch. It is not a zoom.:-) She just peered at me and watched as I clicked away. At times she walked right up and sniffed the lense
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:07 PM   #170

Hi VinnyP, Congratulations on your purchase of the FZ30. I'm so glad you are enjoying it. I too have enjoyed mine. Recently, I had occasion to need the wide angle as well. Up to now, I hadn't cared about or needed this capability but since I am expanding so much in the kind of pictures I'm taking,now with such a wonderfully flexible camera, I find I want to take pictures that require the wide angleability. Guess that will be one of my nextpurchases when I can.

Since I've owned my FZ30 (bought in February 06) I havelearnedandstretched my picture takingto new levels I never thought I was able to go. I know I have soooo much more tolearn and achieve but this camera makes it so much fun!