Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:33 PM   #181

Hi Teree,

Nice shot in the dappled Florida sunshine! glad you like our dog he gets in a lot more photo's then I do !

Take care,

Baskerville.

Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:00 PM   #182

Hello all

I recently bought the Lumix FZ30 in the end (after debating buying a DSLR)it's my first "decent" camera so I don't have much to compare it to (had an optio-s previously). I must say that I still haven't a clue what I am doing, but I am enjoying filling up 2.5Gb of SD cards, even though the vast majority are rubbish!

Took a few down the pub the other day, just going through them now and a couple are half decent. Here's a few for now... Still haven't quite got the hang of re-sizingcropping

This was at full zoom, handheld btw.

The sort of shot I was trying for, closest I got

jj_glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:02 PM   #183

...and some more... Ducks!

I need to get myself Neat Image or something to deal with the noise.

My fave
jj_glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:18 PM   #184

Hi JJ

Excellent shots, well done. You can download Neat Image for free here:

http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

Keep up the good work

Regards

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:20 PM   #185

Hi JJ_glos,

Welcome to the FZ30 family! Ienjoyed all your pictures. At the risk of sounding simple, are the first (brown birds) photos of geese or ducks? You have an amazingly steady hand to get that first one at full zoom and hand held! The second one is quite nice too. It is one of my favorite shots. I also especially like the close up of the white duck.

I have only had my FZ30 for 5 months or so and am still learning all the "bells and whistles". My previous cameras have all been "point and shoot" types. When my daughter mentioned she liked my "point and shoot" camera (right before her birthday ) I set out to upgrade so I could give her mine. After much research and comparison, I came upon the FZ30. Excitedly, I read all the specs and reviews I could find and finally decided to get it. I have to admit, however, I did not know just how powerful this camera really was. At times I've thought, almost more that I can handle,but it has challenged me to go further in my picture takingand it has been great learning how to expand and take photos in new ways.

I know what you mean about the vast majority being rubbish. :lol:Most of mine were too.:-)Now I think I'm down to about 1/3 being rubbish, 1/3 being pretty OK, and 1/3 being hey not bad! I'm getting better. :crazy:

Good luck, and have fungetting to know your new camera, and hope to see more of your pictures soon. Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Teree

P.S. I also meant to say that the last one was my most favorite too. :-)

gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:41 PM   #186

Tony,

hope you are feeling ok and hope your treatment is a comfort to you,may I ask a question ? what is the neat image for ? thanks,

Baskerville.

Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:11 PM   #187

Hi Tony,

I forgot to answer your question about the owl in the author column. Thankyou for asking. :-)Yes I did take that picture. It is a baby Screech Owl that happened to be nesting in a tree in our yard. I was thrilled when I saw it! It has a sibling as well. I have been able to get pictures of both babies and a parent. This particular picture is cropped in close because I just wanted to feature those big eyes. They were so curious as they watched me take picture after picture. None of the pictures are anything artworthy but they are precious to me as they do keep a record that these adorable little creatures chose our yard to have a family in. What thrill! And by the way, he is small enought to fit in yourcoat pocket.

I will attach another picture so you can see the whole owl.

Attached Images

gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:06 AM   #188

Hi Baskerville

Neat Image is a program that I've downloaded but not had time to learn how to drive it yet lol! It apparentlycleans up noise in digital images and is free to download (well the basic version is free). As such it might be worth giving a go. Why not try and post your findings with before and after shots on here?

Regards

Tony
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:55 AM   #189

Hi Baskerville

After playing around for 10 mins or so, and following the instructions (WHAT an admission for a guy to make!! lol) which can be found here:

http://www.neatimage.com/howto.html?61

I came up with the following two pics, the first one is before neat image, the 2nd is with it

Hope this is of use

Tony
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:59 AM   #190

Hi Baskerville

This is the second picture, treated with Neat Image

I think you can see the difference although both pics have had to be reduced in size to fit on Steve's site

Tony

PS Points awarded for anyone who can name the car (Make AND Model please - you didn't think I'd make it too easy did you?) in the icicle. Clue, it's small and French.
Attached Images