Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:13 AM   #191

Hi all, thanks for your comments

Is it a Clio?.. or a 206 :?

I went with Neat Image in the end rather than Noise Ninja or Noiseware. I also have the Nero Ultra Edition which has a photo editor with noise removal.

Here's a sample using the close up of the ducks head above. This is uncropped and reduced in size to 800x600 using photoshop or nero as applicable.

First up is the original:

Then using Neat Image as a plugin in photoshop on only the background areas:

Finally using Nero to both de-noise and resize:

For me the background does have noise in the original, not massive amounts but enough to annoy me when I know there are ways of removing it! The second image has reduced this issue yet keeping the detail on the subject where needed. The third image hasn't done a bad job, but there is detail loss on the subject. This is due to the noise neing removed across the whole pic. Neat Image can also apply across the image but isn't quite as savage in removing detail.

jj_glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:23 AM   #192

gotta.learn wrote:
Quote:
Hi JJ_glos,

Welcome to the FZ30 family! Ienjoyed all your pictures. At the risk of sounding simple, are the first (brown birds) photos of geese or ducks? You have an amazingly steady hand to get that first one at full zoom and hand held! The second one is quite nice too. It is one of my favorite shots. I also especially like the close up of the white duck.

I have only had my FZ30 for 5 months or so and am still learning all the "bells and whistles". My previous cameras have all been "point and shoot" types. When my daughter mentioned she liked my "point and shoot" camera (right before her birthday ) I set out to upgrade so I could give her mine. After much research and comparison, I came upon the FZ30. Excitedly, I read all the specs and reviews I could find and finally decided to get it. I have to admit, however, I did not know just how powerful this camera really was. At times I've thought, almost more that I can handle,but it has challenged me to go further in my picture takingand it has been great learning how to expand and take photos in new ways.

I know what you mean about the vast majority being rubbish. :lol:Most of mine were too.:-)Now I think I'm down to about 1/3 being rubbish, 1/3 being pretty OK, and 1/3 being hey not bad! I'm getting better. :crazy:

Good luck, and have fungetting to know your new camera, and hope to see more of your pictures soon. Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Teree

P.S. I also meant to say that the last one was my most favorite too. :-)

Thanks

The first pics are of a Canada Goose, there must have been 40+ of them there at the time! I was sitting down (with a pint) which did helpfor a steady hand, also burst mode is a god send! I sort of wish I was shooting in raw format, but I was trying to catch one of the birds with wingsextended so I thought burst mode would be of help!

I too have only had point and shoot type cameras and with many friends getting DSLR'sI thought I would give it a go. I didn't really want to go to the expense of a full DLSR for something that might end up in the cupboard! I went for the FZ30 for the zoom and image stabilisation in the end, as I intend to frequent airshows and grab a few pics. My first outing with the camera was at RIAT 2006 at Fairford where I did get some half decent pics, I'll get some posted on here shortly.

Lovely picture of the owl by the way
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:53 AM   #193

Hi JJ

Well, that didn't last long did it? My competition I meant! You are Ryton with your guess! Yes it is either a Clio or a 206. Having given you another clue herein I will leave you to decide which!

Regards

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:46 PM   #194

Well I'll go with my first guess which was the Renault Clio?...
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:52 PM   #195

A few pics from Fairford as promised:

A trio of the magnificent Red Arrows.

A couple of the Osprey which is a very interesting aircraft.

...and finishing with an F16.

Again all photos handheld, with varying degrees of zoom. I'm looking into buying lens filters, telephoto, tripodetc.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:19 PM   #196

Some great shots.Looks like a lot of funyou must have had a good day.

VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:51 PM   #197

Hi JJ

Ryton was the clue as the car company in question recently shut, or at least announced plans to shut, it's plant there. So you should have gone with the Pug! Never mind eh. Your aircraft pics are fantastic! Brings back memories of a time some 25 yrs (ish) ago when me and my late father got blown over by a US jet at Mildenhall as it taxied! I think it was an F15 but can't remember for sure. I CAN remember my old man trying to take pics hand holding his Canon A1 (which I still have) and Tamron 500mm f-8 (fixed aperture) mirror lens (which I don't) and failing dismally though! How times have progressed!

Regards

Tony
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:30 PM   #198

Nuts, I nearly went with the 206 due to the colour. Only said Clio as it was the first French small car that sprung to mind! Completely missed the Ryton reference, it did give me pause for thought, but I was in a rush!

Way back when, we used to have airshows at our local airport (Staverton), but my old man wasn't into photography at all,I think he had some 110 cartridge job at the time! I must say that whilst jets are pretty impressive my heart does lay with the piston prop powered aircraft of old. Although I obviously havea softspot for the Gloster Meteor :twisted:
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:46 PM   #199

VinnyP! wrote:
Quote:
Some great shots.Looks like a lot of funyou must have had a good day.

It was a cracking day, the misses only brought factor 8 sun lotion though,which didn't help me at all! Lots of sunburn!

I was gutted at not getting any decent pics of the piston aircraft, I somehow managed to be completely off focus for the vast majority of pics

Here are a couple which weren't too bad though...

The gorgeous Lancaster:

Joined buy the sublime Spitfire:

...and the Hurricane on its own asI managed to cut it out of the group fly bys!

Old Aug 6, 2006, 5:05 AM   #200

Hi JJ

You MISSED the fly-by shots of the Lanc', Spit', and Hurri' all together altogether? Shame on you lol (JOKE)

Btw, what metering were you using when taking the plane shots, spot or centre?

I know what you mean about the proper old aircraft. The sight and at least as, if not, MORE importantly, the sound of those Merlins as the Lancaster Spitfire and (much maligned and often ignored - sorry m8, couldn't resist it) Hurricane go over - guaranteed shiver down the spine job, EVERY time! Better than Pink Floyd reaching the climax of the guitar solo in Comfortably Numb! Well, almost! Now there's a good idea, it may be Sunday morning but I feel a Gilmour and Co tune or 12 coming on!!!

Cheers

Tony

P.S.I'm not that into planes, cars are more my scene - some years ago there was a guy who built a car known as "The Beast" powered by a Merlin V12. Now that's what I call overkill!