Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:02 PM   #31

people compare them because they are just that similar. When I had my Canon A70, the difference between it's capabilities and a DSLR were night and day.

In function and feel, the FZ30 IS close to a dslr. The fact that it is compared so frequently is a compliment to the camera in every respect except perhaps price, but as we've said over and over, to have a dslr with lenses that allow you to duplicate the FZ, cost isn't really comparable anymore. There's no doubt that the evolution of the FZ from the "1" model up to the "30" was to blur the line between a small point and shoot to DSLR. I like that my camera is constantly compared to DSLRs :|
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:34 PM   #32

forestcat44 wrote:
Quote:
For less than $1000, I have an fz30, a Raynox 2020, 6600, & 505. That gives me >900mm for the far away stuff, 18mm for the fat stuff, & 27x mag for the tiny stuff. Allright, now I want minimal noise at >400ISO, burst mode for raw, more light than f3.7 at 420mm. I want focal distance display ( I do, really). But I want to keep all the things we love about our FZ, especially the EVF features, data, etc.

AND, I don't won't to deal with new devils, i.e., compromises made in low end dslrs.

Can that be done for under three grand?

Well, I am the one who can answer that question. Shortly after upgrading from my FZ20 to the FZ30 a few months ago (which was the result of lots of public agonizing in these forums...should I wait for the FZ40? What if digital SLR prices tumble?, etc.), and loving the FZ30 for all its improvements, I came across a deal on ebay I could not resist. I bought a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D including two zoom lenses 18-70 and 75-300 as well as a 512MB CF card and a large camera bag to hold everything for $649. The KM5D has image stabilization in the CCD, therefore no need to buy expensive IS lenses. My Raynox 6600, Nikon 4T macro lens, as well as Olympus TCON17 all work with my KM5D although the Raynox gives me quite soft edges at the widest setting. I am currently adding a powerful TTL flash by Sigma to my collection. So, to answer your question: Yes, one can get the same range and features in a DSLR for less than $3000, even less than $1000 in my case. By the way, the multiplication factor of the KM5D is 1.5. Therefore my focal range of 18-300 equals 27-450mm in a 35mm SLR (16.6 optical zoom). If I include my wide angle and teleconverters my range goes from 12-510 (18-765 equivalent, 42x optical). Ialso added a 50 (75mm equivalent) 1.7 lens for under $50. With a 1.7 aperture, IS, and usability of up to ISO3200 I can take handheld shots in almost complete darkness.

Here are the Pros of each cam (I decided to keep them both. I now have three cams: the panny, the KM5, and a tiny Fuji F11 which is amazing for its size):

KM5:
  • faster focus, and tracking focus, resulting in much better ability to shoot fast moving objects, like kids running toward the camera. [/*]
  • larger sensor results in smaller Depth of Field, giving the images much more of a 3D feel [/*]
  • MUCH less noise up to ISO 3200 [/*]
  • No EVF/LCD "blackouts" between shots, enabling much better tracking [/*]
  • True through-the-lens view, rather than EVF's, enabling much more accurate manual focusing. [/*]
  • Overall richer, livelierimage quality, greater dynamic range [/*]
  • CCD based IS [/*]
  • Fully automatic TTL flash available that can also be remote controlled from the camera [/*]
  • Unbeatable low light performance
FZ30:
[/*]
  • Superb all-in-one lens [/*]
  • 8 MP [/*]
  • Great IS effectiveness [/*]
  • Swivel LCD [/*]
  • Inmany cases,greater DoF is an advantage over blurred backgrounds [/*]
  • Fantastic image quality for a Point and Shoot [/*]
  • Very able all-round camera
Fuji F11
[/*]
  • Tiny, great to have in your pocket at a party or so [/*]
  • Excellent, low-light focusing [/*]
  • Superb image quality [/*]
  • Manual settings available [/*]
  • Up to ISO1600 at decent quality[/*]
So, I love all of my three cameras and don't want to give any of them up, each having their distinct advantages.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:55 PM   #33

Yeah, that's a screaming deal. I wasn't really considering used prices, especially not package deals like what you have because I don't think they come around that often.

I'd be curious to see some comparison shots between the KM & FZ30 w/ equivalent lens configurations. I will say this much, looking at some of the D50 shots in the wildlife forums, I'm pretty blown away
forestcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:34 PM   #34

I'll post some shots when I get a chance. Meanwhile you can check out mygalleries at http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries/, particularly the http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries/wildlifeshotssectionwhich has shots taken with several camerasand includes the EXIF data.

The KM5d has come down quite a bit in price where you can get a new one (mine was refurbished)for about $650 with the 18-70 lens kit. Samy's camera in L.A. has been selling them for $599 after mail-in rebate.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:52 PM   #35

Oh by the way, as far as Tony is concerned, for his particular situation, being in a wheelchair, I could not think of a more perfect setup than the FZ30.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:31 AM   #36

Quote:
forestcat44 wrote:
Quote:
AND, I don't won't to deal with new devils, i.e., compromises made in low end dslrs.

Frankly, I don't see that there are a lot of compromises in the KM5D. Its image quality is comparable to the Canon EOS 20D as confirmed in many test reports. Only major difference is the speed of burst mode. However it is rare that I need more than 3 shots per second. Sure, a few more megapixels would be nice, but I get gorgeous 13x19 prints, which, by the way I can also get from my FZ30 and Fuji F11.

By the way, your shot of the birds is amazing. I have not been able to manage that with the FZ30. Got a couple of nice shots though taken at sunset.

Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:36 AM   #37

and another one. I told you I also love my FZ30:

Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:37 AM   #38

Is the KM 5... 6 MP?
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:04 AM   #39

Yes, it is six megapixels. but remember each pixel is generated from a cell about 10 times the size of the ones in the FZ30. So, cropping results are actually better than from the noisy 8 MP sensor of the FZ with at least as much detail. I know you are a cropper, KD. This camera yields very good results as far as that is concerned. Will do some samples this weekend if I get a chance.

PS: Sorry for hi-jacking this forum. I am going toshut up for now. To answer the original question: Who Needs a DSLR when the Panasonic FZ30 is this good?Pros andSemi-Pros because there are distinct advantages, but the FZ30 is simply afantastic all-around camera.

Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:57 PM   #40

For many of us this forum and our FZs have been the perfect spring board to the world of DSLRs. Especially those that love low light and our anti-shake the answer has been at the top of the page. Have a look up there.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote