Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:20 PM   #41
spy

I have enjoyed reading this thread as I have enjoyed shooting pics first from my FZ20 Christmas of 2004 and then moved on to a DSLR Canon 20d Christmas of 2005.

Before buying the FZ20, my wife and Idid our research and were convinced that the FZ was the smartest buy allaround and it was the camera that startedmy love for photography, however it didn't take long (8 months) and I was quickly pushingthe FZ20'slimits and needed moreout of it than it could give me. I needed more ISO's, faster burst mode for action shots and a larger sensor for low light indoor action. This turned my interest toward DSLR. I just stopped bringing my FZ to the swimming meets because the camera's limits weren't enough to meethow I wanted my pictures to look. (I will show you below example shots of indoor low light swimming shots from both the FZ20 and the Canon 20d)

I then got the 20d last December and have absolutely enjoyed every single moment with it. There is much to learn with it and the personaloptions seem endless but once learned it truely can be a 'point and shoot' camera if set up to be but if you like tweaking every shot then you can as well. Has there been any downfalls??....I'd have to say cost for lenses. I have the 17 to 85 IS USM lens and for the moment I rent the 70 - 200mm 2.8 lens for the indoor action swimming. That lens to buy is $1600. So I rent it for $25 dollars for the weekend from the local camera store in town.

One other downfall would be dust getting on the sensor. But that is an easy fix, just twist off the lens, and with a special blow tool, remove the dust and go back to taking your pics. I carry a fairly decent sized camera bag around with me but I don't mind.

All in all starting with the FZ20 was very good in learning the whole digital thang and it was necessary to learn it first and to get a grasp on it before moving on to the DSLR. I wouldn't change a thing. The one thing those of you desiring to shoot with a DSLR should know is that spending thousands of dollars on that special DSLR does not insure purfect shots every time. You'll still turn out your share of crappy pictures but learning the ART of photograpy will launch you past your shooting failures and you will take prize shots. :|

Below are two shots, both with the FZ20 and with the 20d. Both are outdoor, lowlight, early morning misty and foggy and the next two pics after that are indoor low light swimming shots. I also ran all pics through a noise filter just to clean them up. You be the judge.

#1 FZ20
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:21 PM   #42
spy

#2 Canon 20d
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:22 PM   #43
spy

#3 FZ20
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:24 PM   #44
spy

Last one, #4 Canon 20d - Taken in same pool, same conditions
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:28 PM   #45
spy

For sure last one, #5 Canon 20d
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:52 AM   #46

Yes, I concur. This pretty much agrees with my first post. One really has to have a DSLR to appreciate its superiority. But that's not knocking the FZ's which are great cams. Hopefully I can get a chance to take some direct comparisons under different conditions on Sunday. Might be tough since I will be watching my 3 boys, ranging from 7 mos. to 9 years....

Oh, one question, spy: Was the first FZ20 shot in sepia, or was that how the regular came out? It just seems like it's no equal comparison against the Canon shot.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:26 AM   #47
spy

To answer your question, #1 and #2 church shots are sepia. Later on today, I will go through my December 05 pics to find more comparisons between the two cameras.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:04 AM   #48

Wow, what a difference in the Sepia settings. I didn't realize that Sepia was so nuanced in the 20D. Gotta try that in my KM5D.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:58 PM   #49
spy

Let me say that Ithink the FZ line have great camera's and there are those on this forum that take stunning photos like Squirl, Tiger, KennethD and a host of others. Whether you shoot with FZ's or DSLR's, you first have it because it meets your shootingneeds. One of the many great features the FZ's have going for them is the mega zoom lens. To buy a similar zoom DSLR lens would put you back $15,000 to $30,000 dollars for a 600mm prime 2.8. 1200mm prime 2.8 will run you $120,000...the price of a house in some places. You see these types of photographers on the side lines to NFL games or Super Bike, NAScarraces.

These next two shots are again from my FZ20 and the 20d. Both run througha noise program to clean them up.

#1 FZ20.

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:59 PM   #50
spy

#2 - 20d.
Attached Images