Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:37 AM   #51

Spy,

Being a FZ30 owner (only had it a few weeks now), I'm just wondering why your comparison shots are "that different". What I mean is that, in the last 2 pics that you posted here, for example,there is a great difference in the colour saturation, etc... For me, at least, I would love to see comparisons between "identical" shots (as much as was possible)

This is NOT a criticism as I truly like your pics but feel that (maybe) it could be giving a wrong impression as far as a "comparison" between the 2 cameras is concerned.

I also admit that, being an "amateur" photographer, even if I had the many thousands of $$$'s (or £££'s in my case), I wouldn't be able to justify that cost nor would it be "comfortable" for me to take all that hardware with me on a vacation (am planning to visit Disney next month and am only permitted to take 20Kg's of luggage with me on the plane anyway!!:-)).

I do suppose that it's "each to their own" and depends really on the financial status of each of us coupled with the photographic ability and imagination too - in my case, I'm still very much a beginner! :sad:

Best regards,

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:02 AM   #52

Using the Fz's to their finest potential depends on becoming experienced with the camera. That way you will know it's stronger points and be able to at least choose optimum settings when forced or choosing to shoot where it is less optimum. I hope to get out and about this week and using the tele add on post some good duck shots. This FZ 30 can do very well even with mallards in flight. To fairly give an accurate comparison purely for interest's sake, and not to knock either type of camera, I would really like to see identical shots...same conditions, perhaps set up a tripod, shoot with one then the other. Or some similair matched conditions. For shots at extreme ends of the photo shooting spectrum, I expect the DSLR's to shine.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:37 AM   #53

KennethD,

My thoughts exactly!!!:-)

..and certainly interested in seeing "ducks in flight" if you're lucky enough to get the chance to take that.

I suppose all of this "comparison" chat and thoughts is really a question of taste and necessity too - whilst a professional needs to "sell" his pictures for possible publication therefore requiring the very best quality (at any price), I still feel that for the "average" photographer (like myself!), the FZ30 is more than enough (in my humble opinion!).

Of course, it's nice to have a Ferrari (or Rolls Royce) but is it really that necessary to have one for 99.999% of the time???

And no, I'm not trying to start a war here - it's just my thoughts!!

Best regards to all,

Raymond
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:24 AM   #54
spy

To both KennethD and RaymondK: I have enjoyed your comments and know where your coming from. Firstly, there are several reasons why the comparison of the last two shots are quite different.I am not sure whichcol. effectthe FZ was set in when the shot was taken. It may have beenset to "off"or "warm", not sure. The 20d does not have these settings. What it has instead is "Color Temperature". A range you can set from "2800" to "10,000". 2800 being cold and 10,000 being warm.

The question is which one is more accurate in color,...not sure. I was shooting the 20d staight out of the box with the settings set by the factory. What both those pictures do show however is "detail" and I think gives a true account of what both cameras are capable of shooting that shot.

If I was going on a holiday I could not be separated from my 20d, I would however take the FZ because you could not seperate my kids from it. I would use the FZ if I needed a mega zoom shot. If I was to pack around a suitcase for all my camera gear, I would hope to be working for a magazine or two and getting paid.

KennethD, Ithink you are absolutely right about exact comparison shots. Set up the tripod andshoot from the FZ and the 20d at the same subject. Last December my daughter walked around with the FZ and I with the 20d and took "the same shot"though not really thinking about it much. From the examples I have, it is the closest thing made available to this forum that I have. Ithink you and I should get together soonto do this comparison and post our shots on this forum. What would you say to that?

Lastly,some may ask,if I shoot with the 20d, what am I doing over here on the Panasonicforum. My answer is I have come to know manyphotographers here and have made some friendships that I value. Peopleon this forum post their pictures, I really love that andenjoy looking at them. The photographers on the Canonforum do not posttheir pictures so unless I have a tech question, I don't really hang out their. This forum is more exciting to me.

Cheers!:-D
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:03 PM   #55

I don't there really is a argument here. We all agree. There is a reason why DSLR's ar more expensive. They deliver more professional shots in many, not all circumstances. But of course, there is the added price, weight and often hassle. So,everyone agreestheFZ30 is a fine camera, and delivers all that can be hoped for out of a 1/1.8 sensor. So, I don't see these different "camps" here. Man, I got to get to do my comparison shots in different settings, since I am one of the few who has both, a DSLR and the FZ30. Again, did not get a chance this weekend. Next weekend, I promise....
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:07 PM   #56

Hi there Rduve and Spy,

Why not take "identical" pictures and then see how many of us can really see the difference between them (and, of course, guess which was takenby which camera too!!)?- no,I'm not suggesting a prize of an FZ30 or DSLR to the winner though!!:-)

Well, it was only a thought!

Happy snapping!

Best regards,

Raymond
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:10 PM   #57

RaymondK wrote:
Quote:
Hi there Rduve and Spy,

Why not take "identical" pictures and then see how many of us can really see the difference between them (and, of course, guess which was takenby which camera too!!)?- no,I'm not suggesting a prize of an FZ30 or DSLR to the winner though!!:-)

Well, it was only a thought!

Happy snapping!

Best regards,

Raymond

Yes, that will be my assignment for next weekend. Hold on a few days.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:27 PM   #58

Hi there Rduve,

WOW, that was quick - just 3 mins for a reply from you - maybe Steve should set up a "chat" forum too (under different categories, cameras, subjects, etc...) - STEVE, ARE YOU LISTENING????? :G

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your pictures when you have time - I'm sure we "all" are too!

Best regards,

Raymond
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:30 PM   #59
spy

Ok folks, here we go. I have two pictures to post of my bird feeder in the backyard. The sun had just gone down so we have evening lighting. I ran both the FZ20 and Canon 20d through my noise program, adjusted the exposure of the 20d to match the FZ and adjusted the satration levels of the 20d to match the FZ through PS. The FZ normally looked more "warm" just like the two barb wire pics above. I did not sharpen, change contrast oralter any other levels. There are some differences so look close.

#1 FZ20, 2.8, Col. effects - off, White Balance - Auto
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:32 PM   #60
spy

#2. Canon 20d, 5.6, White Balance - Auto
Attached Images