Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:50 PM   #61

It seems like you are getting very odd, too warm tones from your FZ20. You're sure it's not set at the Warm Color Effect? Or maybe it's just odd lighting. The fence and its backround also had the same unnaturally warm tone. But in any case, this picture comparison demonstrates to me what is the most visible and dramatic difference in the images from a DSLR vs. a digicam and that's the depth perception, the added spatial quality, the more pronounced 3D effect, whichever way one wants to describe it, caused by the larger sensor and smaller DoF. To me that is a lot more visible than difference in sharpness, or color rendition, which I think the FZ30 excels in. In this particular sample, it seems like the contrast and saturation of the 20D image were unnaturally enhanced in an attempt to mimic the FZ20's settings. It's an odd example, because the colors are so weird and it's hard to compare something where one has no idea of what it should look like, vs' a common scene with skin tones, or green leaves, or brick buildings, etc.

So, really, it does not show much other than the improved rendition of depth as far as I am concerned.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:53 PM   #62
spy

The FZ'scol. effectswere offand the white balance set toAuto. Also keep in mind that the fstops on both were at their largest settings. The FZ being 2.8 @ 2x zoom and the17 - 85mm lens on the 20d being 5.6 @ full zoom. If I was to increase the DoF of the 20d to match the FZ, I would have to change the fstop to around 20 or higher (35) and utilize the DoF button as well.

I called my canon dealer and asked them to explain for me why I would want to play around with the 20d's "color temp." which has a range of 2800 to 10,000 and he explained that as long as I set my white balance to "Auto", the camera will automatically set the color temp.

When I took these two pictures earlier and before I adjusted the saturation of the 20d pic to match the 'warmer' tone of the FZ,the 20dwas true to what I was looking at. The FZ for some reason is just shooting far towarm for whatwas real. Not sure why. The barb wire pictures above was as drastic in color as the bird feeder was.

Also the point of focus I set for both cameras was right in the middle, bottom edge of the roof line of the feeder.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:13 AM   #63

I wonder if there is something wrong with your FZ20. I had one for a year before moving to the FZ30, and it was very true to colors. A little on the warmer side compared to the FZ30, but nothing like that.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:18 AM   #64

Here are some comparisons. First a few that show that the FZ30 can definitely hold its own and compare if anything favoribly to a DSLR in regular well lit conditions. Guess which shot is which:

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:18 AM   #65

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:21 AM   #66

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:22 AM   #67

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:30 AM   #68

Hi there Rduve,

A beginner's guess would be that the 1st pic's taken with the FZ30 (in both cases) and that's only based on "depth" of field (as I'm still trying to get to grips with all this business of "noise" that I can't really see anyway!!). DON'T tell me if I'm right or not (yet) as it would be interesting to see what the "experts" think (I'm still very much an amateur :sad.

Regardless of which one's which, for me at least, you've already shown what a GREAT camera the FZ30 is and I can see that, for me, there are still endless "experimenting" options left for me to try.

Thanks for your great pictures!!!

Regards,

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:38 AM   #69

Now here is a DSLR shot one just couldn't get with an FZ as far as perspective and background blur is concerned...

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:20 AM   #70
spy

I'd have to say that #2 is DSLR by the background blur being pronounced.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"That is my guess.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote