Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:08 AM   #81

Spy (and Rduve),

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions which at least point me (and maybe other readers of this forum) in the very "right" direction.

I'm still considering that possibility of an "off-line storage" rather than the other idea given to me by "pagerboy" (but thank you anyway) only in as much as that I feel it will give me "total independency" and freedom of movement whilst on any "long" trip.

Initially, for others who may be interested on this forum, the company I have previously dealt with (UKDigitalCameras) are selling a unit which interests me (see

http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/__...F82C41002.html)

although I've now been told of another supplier who sells the unit at a much lower price (see

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/shop_deta...tName=XS-Drive).

There's a "pricematch" option offered by the company I've dealt with and I've written to them to see if they're prepared to "match" this price as it appears to be exactly the same unit. I'm more than interested in seeing what they reply to me - I'll let you know. My "final" option, of course, would be to purchase a similar unit whilst in Orlando as things "tend" to be cheaper in the USA :-)although, at the time of writing this, I'm not able to confirm this.

Thanks to all once again - I'm sure I'll be posting more on this forum again in time.

Best regards,

Raymond

RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:38 AM   #82

So if a CCD was converted to film and placed inside a DSLR, would the DSLR end up a film camera, or would it become an inbreed of miniature pixels placed upon grain from film that was in turn, treated with pixelated film from an emulsion made from dots to form an new type of format to reduce nosie and convert that to fine digital grain.

Could this possibly be the cross over of baby 35mm format to large format seen through a pentaprisim made from an EVF, turned so that it now points outward toward a reversed pixel ???

That is the question.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:39 AM   #83

RaymondK wrote:
Quote:
I'm still considering that possibility of an "off-line storage" rather than the other idea given to me by "pagerboy" (but thank you anyway) only in as much as that I feel it will give me "total independency" and freedom of movement whilst on any "long" trip.

Thanks to all once again - I'm sure I'll be posting more on this forum again in time.

Best regards,

Raymond

I had considered that option myself. That was back when flash cards were very expensive. I bought a laptop. It works really well, I can download, edit, burn to disk, clear my flash cards...etc. But now, even tho I still take my laptop when I travel, and like to view my pics that way, I also have the luxury of multiple flashcards. The prices have dropped so unbelievably, I just bought several more. Between my two cameras I now have eight. Be that as it may, it is still a luxury to be on vacation A N D still be able to view your days shots full size. Or if you purchase that device, at least you'll see them in a larger size. I would scout out a good used laptop. They are available here for a few hundred (Can) dollars. Despite the idea that storage media is cheap, it cannot match the satisfaction of seeing your shots full screen. Many times what appears to be a sweet lovely shot on the small lcd of your camera, will turn out to be slightly out of focus, or have some other undesireable flaw. Viewing them right away via laptop when you are on vacation,gives you the chance to revisit the spot, and shoot it again. I was staying in a condo complex, for 10 days, right along a wild life sanctuary, and thought I had some potential photo of the day with shots of some osprey. They looked fantastic on my lcd of the camera. Viewed full screen, they were not as sharp as I thought. Luckily I had several more days to try for better shots. It might not work that way every time as if you tour a lot while you vacation you may only get only one chance. But that's just one way laptops are great for us travellers. Had the same fun shooting night scenes and parliment buildings. And loved reshooting after checking the full screen versions. Even at night from the hotel balcony, I had the chance to fine tune my shots courtesy of my laptop. One caution. Your wife may not share your enthusiasm. If indeed she is less than excited with your hobby, do your best to avoid using this combination to excess. At one point I knew it was time to ease off the picture taking when my wife casually informed me that the last picture anyone would download off my flashcard would be the inside of my lower bowel. Hmmmm, I thought. How would that look in photoshop elements? No, even with upping the contrast and some sharpening, I still wouldn't want to edit that shot. It pains me to even think about it.:shock::O:!:

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:35 AM   #84

Raymond, you may consider going to a chain pharmacy (CVS for example) or a Walmart. Most have a kodak kiosk that will allow you to upload pictures for printing at their photolab and I'm pretty sure they will also cut you a cd of your files. I may be worth checking out.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:37 AM   #85

Raymondk,

Hi mate have a look at this,

http://store.yahoo.com/insidecompute...alpartner.html

You may be able to buy one in the US, or just get one sent over, the exchange rate is pretty good.

Baskerville.
Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:44 AM   #86
spy

nzmacro wrote: So if a CCD was converted to film and placed inside a DSLR, would the DSLR end up a film camera, or would it become an inbreed of miniature pixels placed upon grain from film that was in turn, treated with pixelated film from an emulsion made from dots to form an new type of format to reduce nosie and convert that to fine digital grain.

Could this possibly be the cross over of baby 35mm format to large format seen through a pentaprisim made from an EVF, turned so that it now points outward toward a reversed pixel ???

That is the question.

Danny.

Sounds like an interesting idea more so than a question. Make sure you patent it if you do give it a try.

You may want to design a drive system to place this new "pixelated film from an emulsion made from dots" into a DSLR which is in want of a drive system and once invented you'd have to find a corner store that has that new and improved film in stock.

I think your on something,...I mean, on to something. Let me know when your prototype is up and running. I want to buy stock.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:01 AM   #87

Baskerville wrote:
Quote:
Raymondk,

Hi mate have a look at this,

http://store.yahoo.com/insidecompute...alpartner.html

You may be able to buy one in the US, or just get one sent over, the exchange rate is pretty good.

Baskerville.
Now this looks like a decent alternative....very good for clearing your card, not too big either.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:48 AM   #88

Eddie_dane, Baskerville and KennethD,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm currently trying to see if my "usual" supplier (UKDigitalCameras) are prepared to match the price of £144 for a 80Gb drive that was suggested here on the forum (see my comments on this forum, dated 8th of March at 6:08am) as, although "slightly" more expensive than in the USA, I always have the supplier "next door" should anything go wrong with the unit.

Also, I really like the idea of just visiting Walmart (or CVS) to have the pictures burnt onto a CD (or DVD maybe?) although, being somewhere in a shopping mall, it could work out quiet expensive as my partner (NOT wife! :-)) just adores shopping!!

Anyway, to all, thanks for your comments.

Very best regards,

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:59 PM   #89

Raymondk,

The US $ as against the £ will make the unit about £110 for the 80GB unit, great if the shop will price match, but I doubt it,.

Is it not worth seeing if you can pick one up in the US right at the start of your Holiday ? must be some good Camera shops in Orlando, maybe worth emailing and getting one ready for you to pick up ?

Just a thought....

Baskerville.
Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:39 PM   #90

Hoodah thunk this would have stretched for F I V E pages? I am amazed at the number of people who posted, and the number of related topics we've covered. Some really good solid things to look at if you have an FZ 30...indeed, eh? Substitute "huh" for "eh" if you're American:lol:.

Kd