Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1

Taken today in rain and through glass door
Attached Images

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:09 PM   #2

another
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:10 PM   #3

and another
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:33 PM   #4

considering the abysmal lighting and slow shutter speeds, plus the glass and rain, these came out rather well. your shutter speeds were between 1/50 and 1/80... pretty slow... and apertures from f3.3 to f4.0. given that, and the intervening glass and rain, i wouldn't worry about the soft focus and shallow DOF... now if you took those shots without the glass and on a sunny day and had the same results, THEN you'd have something to worry about... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:48 PM   #5

Considering the very limiting conditions (window glass, overcast, rain, etc) the camera seems to be doing a pretty good job. Focus isn't that bad and the dof is what it is. Is the trouble you're having getting the hands in the foreground and the birds in the background both in focus? That isn't going to happen at 8x zoom gien the distance between the hands and the birds around the pole. Your only solution would be back off on zoom to increase the dof to the point where both are in focus and crop. The results may still be dissapointing.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:42 AM   #6

The extra window makes the image "inclear" because the light refracts into it and the colors messed up. But the most important thing when using the zoom is the distance to the subject
I made a lot of tele shots and come to this conclusion - always try to have DOF >= 0.5 m. this will give you enought field to have "not so good" focus but good DOF and the shot will look sharp.
for 72mm focal lenght and F4 for my F20 the distance must be at least 8m. If I take a shot from a closer distance I do not expect from the shot to look good. Some times it happens if I am lucky enoght.
In your shot there are a lot of subjects (many birds and the fontain) so if you have the one bird in focus the rest and the fontain will not be and the image will not look good. If thre was a single bird then it is possible if you are lucky to have smaller DOF and a good shot. Here is an example

F5.6, 72mm, 1/100s, distance to the subject ~2.5 m at this parameters the DOF is only 0.07m but the image looks good. If in the back of the bird was another bird (or even part of it) - the shot will be bad IMO
Attached Images

sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 2:03 PM   #7

Thanks for the critiques. I reckon maybe I was expecting too much. As squirl points out, the lighting was not the best and the distance from the door to the birds is approximately 10 feet to the hands and 30 feet to the feeder pole. I have yet to learn the techniques in post processing.

fmoore, you are right in that I thought it would all be in focus. I am trying to find the best way to set the focus in the menu. I tried manual on a few shots but found it to be very touchy.

sunstorage, I see also what you mean in that the dove is very sharp but the field beyond the bird starts to blur.

I thank all three of you, as this helps me to better understand.

Jerry