Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:03 PM   #1

I like taking pictures where I hike, but it is almost too overgrown and too busy if that makes any sense. Maybe the shadows are making it worse. What do you think? Thanks!
Attached Images

bridgetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:03 PM   #2

Yes, the shadows are a distraction. IMO, the eye should follow the pathway and the shadows interfere with that journey.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:08 PM   #3

On the other hand....its nice, but what do I know?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:10 PM   #4

So how do I fix this- different time??? I took it today around 5pm - closer to sunset. I need to pay better attention to these things. It might have helped if I took a different way back.
bridgetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:55 PM   #5

i agree. there are just too many distractions. having bare trees doesn't help on the best of days... a shot like that would be much more appealing in summer or better still, autumn, with the color of the leaves. other than that, there really isn't a lot you can do with this location, unless you try it on a day with light overcast... enough to give you decent light, but not enough to cast shadows. try that, and see how it looks...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:55 PM   #6

Here is an idea, Bridget....

Go back to that spot with shadows and all...

But get on your belly and shoot it w/your digcam about 4 inches off the ground.:idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:10 PM   #7

If you really think there's a remarkable shot in this scene, You will really have work to get it. With that light, the whole frame looks opaque. There are very few diffrences in contast or shades of grey in the whole shot. The branches have no symmetry, they are all a tangled unruly looking jumble. (To my eye at least) Very very difficult to pull the rabbit out of the hat in this one. Perhaps waiting for stronger light will help, maybe changing the hieght of the camera. I doubt black and white is much different than color here, as there likely isn't much other than light browns or grey. I would advise waiting for spring, get some blue sky in there. Maybe I just hit it. Blue sky in this shot might be the answer! Good luck...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:15 PM   #8

If you took the photo in color originally, then you have some options. In Photoshop, you can decide which color channels get the most emphasis when converting to black and white by using the channel mixer, so you can make the path light, the trees dark, and the sky a medium shade, or whatever variation you like. You can also do a similar effect with Picasa which is free, but it's not nearly as precise. If you like, post the original color and I can show you some examples.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote