Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1

Hi all! I have just been asked to photograph a friends wedding and everything that goes with it, and I'm a little apprehensive about it. The wedding is not until September, so I have some time to practice, but I am wondering if anyone can recommend to me some essentials for my FZ20 for an indoor wedding, and the shots at Taylors falls beforehand? If you look at my smugmug profile, you'll see that most shots I take are outdoors, so this indoor stuff has me a little worried. Any tips on some techniques and/or equipment to look into would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Melissa (http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com)

PS - Equipment I already have is a tcon-14B, wcon-8B, and manfrotto/bogen tripod and monopod, and some sort of filter that I haven't ever really used - I think it's supposed to befor useon really sunny days or something, but I forget what it is called.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:02 AM   #2

You are going to need a flash attachment with a diffuser for when you can't bounce it off a low white ceiling.

And unless everything is going to be in a very bright setting you will need to rig some kind of sight to know what you are aiming the camera at. They put a hot shoe on the FZ20 and then designed it so you can't see to frame through the EVF or LCD when you use a mode appropriate for the flash with a shutter speed that won't give ghosts. Some people rig optical gun sights, but I have found that any tube with a crosshair in it held on with putty works fine. Black thread works for a crosshair.

Get a flash ASAP and learn to use it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:02 AM   #3

Oh my... that reminds me of the fact, that I've been asked the same thing about a month ago. Also a wedding in September. Still time to learn indoor shooting, but I've got no external flash yet, too. Which one can you recommend?
Oh and I use a FZ30.
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4

Leberwurstsaft wrote:
Quote:
Oh my... that reminds me of the fact, that I've been asked the same thing about a month ago. Also a wedding in September. Still time to learn indoor shooting, but I've got no external flash yet, too. Which one can you recommend?
Oh and I use a FZ30.
I don't think the FZ30 has the dark viewfinder problem with an external flash like the earlier FZs. That makes it a semi-sensible wedding camera. You do give up almost an f-stop at full zoom, but that isn't significant with a good flash.

I bought a Vivitar 285HV based simply on "power for the buck". It has a zoom head and extremely long range. For a camera with a long zoom combined with good f-stop I felt I wanted a flash with some reach. It is quite bulky. If I were going to be the main photographer at a wedding with an FZ I would buy a bracket and diffuser for the flash.

I've never been at a wedding where the photographer showed up with a tripod. Maybe one was used for some posed shots out of sight of the unwashed masses.

Even if the "honor" was bestowed on me because they couldn't afford anything better, I wouldn't show up after the wedding with only wedding snapshots taken with the built-in flash. I would get a diffuser for my flash and practice at every place photos are likely to be taken.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

The Sunpak 383 is as good as any flash for the FZ cameras.

There are others, but none that I know of that are better.

And the FZ30 does not suffer from the EVF going dark as the FZ20 does, but in all fairness most weddings I have been to are plenty light enough that you can see thru the EVF of the FZ20with the flash attached. After all people want to see the bride.

As much as I like the FZ cameras, they are not the best low light cameras.....So I would get a flash soon and learn how to use it in varying situations...it takes some practice but you will master it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. Yes, Slipe- the "honor" as you say was bestowed on me because they really can't afford anything else. This is a young couple just starting out, and I am glad to help them in any way that I can because they are great friends of mine. I just want to be able to get some decent pictures for them.

Genece - I have heard that a lot of FZ users go with the Sunpak 383, so I am leaning towards that one. If I purchase one, is there anything else I would need to purchase with it in order to use it?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:13 PM   #7

As was mentioned the stofen diffuser or a thing like this can be easily be made from a milk carton or something similar.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

diffuser

http://http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52 714&is=REG&addedTroughType=search]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52 714&is=REG&addedTroughType=search]http://http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52 714&is=REG&addedTroughType=search[/url]

And the best rechargeable batteries you can find for the flash.

And since you have time to practice there have been many suggestions for cutting the glare from the built in flash ....again a milk carton or something similar...even some semi- transparent scotch tape...but the 383 may be the best route. And you will look good.

I just saw that Blaine Mn ..I have a couple daughters in Mn. one in Robbinsdale and one in Waverly....Small world.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:29 PM   #8

Funny. I grew up in Robbinsdale - lived there for a good 10 years or more before we moved to Circle Pines (have since moved a few more times). Definately a small world! Thanks for the advice - I'll be sure to check that out.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:49 PM   #9

You will need an external flash and preferably should use it frequently bounced or with an omnibounce unitor diffusor around the reflector to prevent harsh shadows and to get a better light distribution. Atransparent whitey milk bottle could also do.

Forget available light photography, too many photos will be fuzzy due to the long shutter speeds indoors - mainly moving subjects, not your own shaking hands ;-)

Forget the TCON. Your camera has already an enormous zoom range. The WCON will be helpful during the party andfor the group photos.

Make sure you have enough empty formatted SD cards and enough completely filled batteries with you.

Bring a second camera so you can continue taking photos just in case your camera strikes, drops down or gets stolen.

Check your shots of important situations ('I do', 'You may kiss the bride' etc.) to have them 'repeated' when something goes wrong at the crucial moment.

Prepare yourself well, familiarize yourself with the premises, know the planning of the event so you know where you should be for the important moments.

Johan

http://johanbrouwer.fotopic.net

Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:24 PM   #10

Hmm, too bad, the Sunpak 383 is not available in Germany on any online shop (and I searched for quite a while).
What would be a good alternative?
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote