Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:43 PM   #1

a quick question, i set out this evening to shoot some bracketed shots with a view to creating some HDR images, and appeared to loose the bracket option.¬* did i loose it somewhere or is it not an option in RAW format.¬* is there a workaround?{/p} thanks¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*nicco
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:12 PM   #2

You figured it out, not available.....I am not sure there wold be much point anyhow as it seems to me you have over a one stop adjustment in a Raw editor.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:32 PM   #3

Autobracketing is kind of a burst mode, and the camera doesn't have the speed or internal memory to save 3 RAW images that quickly. I don't agree with genece though about using the RAW editor to simulate the same thing. If your camera produced DSLR quality images, a RAW editor would be able to recover a lot of detail, but the nature of these cameras (I'm assuming you're using an FZ20 or FZ30) is such that you really should try to get a good exposure on your first shot, especially if you use an ISO higher than 100. If you want to try it though, I'd recommend you use ISO 80 and underexpose so that nothing is pure white in your image.

You don't need to use autobracket to bracket, you'll just have to do it manually with RAW mode, and obviously it'll take a bit more time. Just take a few shots of different exposures. You'll have to use manual mode. I think you'd do better to just use high quality JPGs rather than RAW images however since there's not much to gain from using RAW, unless you're having trouble getting a good white balance.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:05 AM   #4

thanks for the replies.¬* the problem with the manual mode is time.¬* i have been trying to combine images to produce HDR images, and time means movement of stuff like clouds.¬* i will have to use stiller days. ¬*I wanted to use RAW to try and get the extra sharpness ¬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img].¬* i.¬* ierfsfd
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:29 AM   #5

Nicco, unless you try to combine different exposures within the sky area itself, I don't think that slightly moving clouds should be a problem: bracketing is usually done to capture a bright sky and a dark land, so in one exposure you'll have a well exposed sky (which should be sharp enough, considering you will be able to choose a relatively high shutter speed for it), and a well exposed land in the other. Combining them is just a case of creating a neat, simple mask that will comprise either all the sky area, or all the land area, depending on which image you stack atop.

By far the most difficult thing to do when combining exposures, is aligning them. If you shot three (automatically) bracketed JPEGs with a tripod you would have perfectly aligned pictures, but if you have to manipulate the camera between exposures to manually change the settings (or even worse, if you don't have a tripod), chances are the pictures won't be perfectly aligned, and you'll have to deal with that before thinking of actually combining them.

Fortunately, this is relatively easy to do. To start with, Photoshop has a function (Photomerge) that is quite good at aligning series of photos, even hand-held ones. And if you find it unable to align some of them, you might try the more advanced PTGui 5.7; it's a panorama maker, but since it has advanced rotation, shift & tilt compensation, it can deal with more difficult cases. It won't accept RAWs, but you can previously convert them to 16-bit TIFFs, feed them then to PTGui, and the program will even create a layered PSD file out of it, ready to be actually combined in Photoshop without any further trouble.
Koosla is offline   Reply With Quote