Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:33 AM   #1

Received the FZ7 yesterday, I'm very happy. Have not had much time to work with it yet, I'll try to post some samples soon. To address a few points that may be of interest.

- Build quality is as good as any Panasonic I've seen.

- Handling is excellent, the slightly larger size compared to FZ3 is nice.

- 2.5 LCD is just huge, would have been even nicer with higher rez.

- Stock filter adapter threads go all the way to the edge.

- High angle LCD mode, it works! I don't need tilt/twist with this.

- High sensitivity mode, works but not your first choice for detailed images.

I would have no concerns using the stock adapter for just about any lens I would be inclined to own. The only thing I see is that they really made it longer then it needed to be. Even with the final step or two that the lens extends at full zoom the adapter could be shorter. Maybe by 2mm or so, but I don't have a DCR-6600 so can't tell if the extra length will be a problem for that lens. I really like the fact that this adapter doesn't attach over the lens body, it threads right into the front of it. Makes A much nicer appearance and also smaller in diameter.

If I can get out at lunch I'll take some pics.

-Brett

P.S. I have tested the attachment of both the Oly c-180 and ricoh 200m and they seem to work just fine. The Oly will have light fall off in the corners until 12x but buy using the 4mp ez setting most of that is gone. The 200m seems good from about 5 or 6x up. These were both attached directly to the stock adapter without any filter in between.

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:58 PM   #2

I didn't have very good light for these but here are a few images. This one is resized only.
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:59 PM   #3

This one is same building at 12x. Resized only.
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:00 PM   #4

Last one crop with no resize. I'm looking forward to warmer weather!
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:36 PM   #5

bmccoy, thanks for sharing your thought on FZ7, I don't own FZ7 yet, but plan to get it soon, hopefully by 9 Mar :idea:
The sample look very clear
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:24 PM   #6

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
- Stock filter adapter threads go all the way to the edge.

I would have no concerns using the stock adapter for just about any lens I would be inclined to own. The only thing I see is that they really made it longer then it needed to be. Even with the final step or two that the lens extends at full zoom the adapter could be shorter. Maybe by 2mm or so, but I don't have a DCR-6600 so can't tell if the extra length will be a problem for that lens.
Thanks for the feedback, Brett. If there is vignetting with the dcr6600, it looks like there's room to get it closer with some sanding. How about posting a shot with the ricoh 1.5x attached at full 12x zoom with a link to the original.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:10 PM   #7

Well Fred,

I don't really have much to show yet. These two live a few miles down the road from my home. I was pretty far away, used full 12x and the Ricoh. The sun was going down to my right and I was facing south. Not a very good setup for a clear pic. For what it's worth here you go. I don't have a place for the full sized one, but I will post some more samples when I get something worth looking at.

-Brett
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:13 PM   #8

Here is the center subjects full size.
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:25 PM   #9

One more this time using the c-180 + about 1.8 digital zoom. This is full frame resized only.
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:18 AM   #10

bmccoy, I think the most interesting thing about this new camera is its High ISO functionality. I understandthat ISO 800 and 1600are not a wonder of engineering, but a software emulation - anyway I think this is the most intriguing think in this new camera.

So could you please post a couple of pictures with that Higer ISO? If you could also preserve EXIF information - that would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote