Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:05 PM   #1

Does anyone know anything about this company? GXT is the name and the speed of the card is 150X write speed is 22MB per sec. Faster than an Ultra ll. A one GB card was on sale for 80$ Can. Just couldn't pass it up, bought many things there before, satifaction guaranteed. At the store they say it's made by Samsung, which sounded ok to me. Anyone??? Thanks...

Kd
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:53 PM   #2

I have bought many different brands of SD cards and they all worked fine....I also have some 150X cards which are fine.

If the card is indeed made by Samsung that should be good.

There are so many good deals on SD cards anymore I will not buy a card if it does not have a lifetime warranty...but I guess that does not mean the company will honor the warranty.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:26 PM   #3

Well, here we go again. I just tested this card in my FZ 30. I shot a tiff and a raw shot. I timed them. The write speed of this card was N O F A S T E R than my plain jane sandisk cards. ???? What gives? The plain Janes record a tiff and are ready for action in 7 seconds. Ditto with the 150X GXT. This is truly a disappointment. Same with raw. Around 5 sec for all. I will format the card and give'er another spin. Any ideas Gene on how to speed these times up? I am hoping the FZ 30 can take advantage of the faster cards, and I think it should. If I can not get this puppy to work faster, she's going back. Thanks....

Kd
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:50 PM   #4

I never tried a tiff with the FZ30 .....oh well I just did, 3 seconds to write a tiff and 2 seconds for a RAW.... That is with a 2gb Transcend 150X

The RAW is just a little slower with a 66X card and the Panasonic 133X card.

It is quite a bit slower with a 60 X and 32 and 40 X cards I have......My guess is your fast cards are not up to snuff...maybe a format , but maybe like Panasonic Bob always said..... all cards are not created equal.

I will test some more tomorrow but I have 3 cards that are very fast and a couple more almost as fast....and I gave the slow cards away. They were really slow the old 2mb/s cards.

Maybe if you want to try something... the FZ30 quit going to sleep ...I changed the setting several times but it only held for a little while and it would quit going to sleep. I reset the factory defaults and all is well again for about 3 weeks.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:07 AM   #5

I have stated a few times what I thought wasthe write time for different cards in the FZ30.
I have been asked a couple times this week what cards were faster and how to check.
I know they make software to measure thespeed of cards but what matters to me is how the card works in the camera so I tested these cards and while I think some of the results are a 1/10 of a second from what I have posted this is as accurate as I could come up with.
Considering I just used a stop watch.
Some of the findings I posted before were wrong ..I think because they were done in low light and the dark frame subtraction time may have varied….. these were done in very good light…for PA in the winter.

TIFF RAW

PQI 1gb 40X 4 seconds 3 seconds

Simpletech 256mb 60X 4 3

Lexar 256mb 32X 5 4

Lexar 1gb 32X 3 2

Kingsmax 512mb 60X 3 2

Kingsmax 1gb 60X 3 2

Panasonic 512 133X 3 2

2 -Transcend 2gb 150X 3 2

Now you may find this interesting or not but its the way these cards work in my FZ30.

Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:20 AM   #6

I think the only mention in the FZ7 manual on card speed is related to movies which said

"

[align=left]•When you set the picture quality to[/align]

[align=left][30fpsVGA] or [30fps16], we[/align]

[align=left]recommend using a high speed SD[/align]

[align=left]Memory Card with "10MB/s" or greater[/align]

[align=left]displayed on the package.[/align]

[align=left]•Depending on the type of SD Memory[/align]

[align=left]Card, recording may stop in the[/align]

[align=left]middle.[/align]

"

Would not the internal buffer of the camera compensate to some extent for slower cards in normal picture taking? I really have not spent much time researching this so that's why I ask.

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:47 AM   #7

Thanks for your testing, Gene. I do find it interesting that a Lexar 32X performs roughly as fast as a Transcend 150X, and yet another Lexar with the same 32X speed is clearly the slowest. I guess it's what you said: different brands and even different capacities can make an unexpected difference.
Koosla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:44 PM   #8

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
I think the only mention in the FZ7 manual on card speed is related to movies which said

"

"

Would not the internal buffer of the camera compensate to some extent for slower cards in normal picture taking? I really have not spent much time researching this so that's why I ask.

-Brett

As far as taking the photo the card means nothing but writing to the card is effected by the speed of the card......

IMHO why not have a card that writes a burst or a RAw in 2 seconds compared to one that may take 7 seconds...and I have had cards that took that long...I do not have them anymore.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:38 PM   #9

I am assuming your times are from shutter trip to clear screen and ready to shoot again. I timed the 150X GXT this way. It took about 3 sec to shoot, after which it displayed the shot, frozen on screen, and then another 3 or 4 sec to do the second half of the operation in which time the photo was displayed on the lcd but not ready to shoot until the end of the entire 7 second sequence. If I read your data right Gene, your fastest times enable you to shoot in 3 sec in tiff. I reformatted and also initiated the "clean up" process described in the manual and it had no effect on this card. Slow slow slow....slow. So, unless I can figure out some other reason why I'm getting the same times as my inexpensive plain Jane sandisks, this one will be back on the store shelf this afternoon. Their staff are quite friendly and helpful, and I think I'll ask them to pop the card in the FZ 30 they have on display to see if they echo my results. Thank you for posting your data, it is exactly what I was looking to read.

Kd
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:52 PM   #10

Sorry I cant seem to get outside the quoted area.. Anyway if you are after fast shot to shot speed I think you can disable the display of the shot on the screen. Can on the FZ-20. It will also go away as soon as the shutter button is depressed. Doesn't help with time it takes to really save the shot but it will help with the apparent speed.

Of course the speed may be limited by the camera itself. If it was designed for only x60 cards, putting a x150 card won't help. Not the cards fault, but it means that there is no reason to pay extra for speed you can't use.

BTW: gence can you tell if the FZ20 would benefit from anything faster than a x60?
Thanks

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote