Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: To transfer from Camera to PC. I normally...
Connect cable to USB port on camera. 4 19.05%
Put SD card from cam in PC card reader. 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:04 PM   #11

I am with KennethD.

Also, when you hook your digcam to your PC, an unanticipated PC failure/power failure may adversely affect your card or worse both card and digcam.

Also, though viruses have not yet infected digcams (to my knowledge), if you are on a strange PC (say traveling), a card reader gives you one layer of separation between the strange PC and your dig cam.

Yes, do wipe hands on shorts before removing inserting card if dining on FEESH, peet-ZA!!! :idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:20 PM   #12

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
I am with KennethD.

Also, when you hook your digcam to your PC, an unanticipated PC failure/power failure may adversely affect your card or worse both card and digcam.

Also, though viruses have not yet infected digcams (to my knowledge), if you are on a strange PC (say traveling), a card reader gives you one layer of separation between the strange PC and your dig cam.

Though the chance of a power surge, spike or outage are unlikely, they nonetheless are possible and using a card reader to avoid any possibility of exposing your camera to the effects of any power surges or outages is a very good reason among the others listed here to use a card reader...considering their cost, i can't see why anyone wouldn't use one...

but the portion of the above quote regarding a card reader providing any type of extra layer of 'serperation' (ie; security) between camera and pc isincorrect... although at this place in time a virus could be written to disrupt the embedded firmwareof a digital camera, what would the motive for gain be? there wouldn't be any substantial gains produced by the amount of effort expended unless someone wanted to target a specific individual...thinking of a card reader as any kind of extra degree of seperation is erroneousas a card read also has no firewall characteristics incorporated simply because there are no threats...maybe in the future as things evolve, but not at this place in time...

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:17 PM   #13

""use a card reader...considering their cost, i can't see why anyone wouldn't use one...""

Well, the camera ships with a USB cable. Dont come with no card reader!

But the voices have spoken. So its off to buy a card reader, today!

cheers,

Max

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:37 PM   #14

Purddock...don't get me wrong, you are correct in saying the camera does come with a usb cable, so why not just use that?...one of the main reasons i can say is that most cameras support USB 1.0 and the transfer rate is slower than buying and using a card reader that's rated at USB 2.0 when you've got a SD card full of about 200 8mbs pix...just remember, if you go the usb 2.0 route, you'll also need a usb 2.0 cable to link between the reader & your pc, i think the one that came with the camera is USB 1.0...or you can go with a firewire card reader and of course need to buy a firewire cable along with the reader and you'll have make sure your pc is capable to run usb 2.0 or firewire...

sorry if i sounded a little flip with my 1st response to you regarding the card reader......it can get a little complicated very quickly...:-)
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:17 AM   #15

Use either one. No big deal if it works for you. I use a card reader since I have three cameras with three different types of cards, I can justpop any of them into my constantly connected multi-card reader, but if it's easier for you to hook up the camera to the USB board, why not?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:19 PM   #16

Hi all

It's a card reader for me hands down. after using my dimage A2 usb cable for a while it eventually stopped working.

Laptops now come with cardreaders built in great for people who have cameras that dont use Compact Flash cards.

I use a cardreader not only for my camera but for transfering files from computer to computer. Handy bits of kit and not too expensive either.

Mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:52 AM   #17

wadge1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all

It's a card reader for me hands down. after using my dimage A2 usb cable for a while it eventually stopped working.

Laptops now come with cardreaders built in great for people who have cameras that dont use Compact Flash cards.

I use a cardreader not only for my camera but for transfering files from computer to computer. Handy bits of kit and not too expensive either.

Mark
Yes indeed. Do not overlook the convenience of tranfering pics from one computer to another. I also do this all the time. Card readers being so inexpensive I have one for each computer. Super way to shift your work from here to there.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:50 AM   #18

I use the camera most of the time since when I plug it in and it makes a new folder with the date and copies all the pics(not too quick but real easy). I use card reader to transfer pics to sd card to get prints made. If I have both cards filled or need the camera in a hurry its the card reader.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote