Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: To transfer from Camera to PC. I normally...
Connect cable to USB port on camera. 4 19.05%
Put SD card from cam in PC card reader. 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1

Which isyour preferred method of transferring image files fromPanny to PC.,

Max.
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2

My card was out of my camera only once, and that was to test a slower card for comparison. With a cradle and USB2 I see no reason to ever remove the card. The battery has never been out either and I've had the camera for a year. It will fill my 1Gb card with power left over and I've never bothered with a spare as I needed with all my other cameras.

With a USB1 camera I would likely use my card reader as a Gig takes a while on a slow camera. But it is nice to just drop the camera on the cradle and never open the compartment.

You need a cradle choice.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:47 AM   #3

Hi Max.....I much prefer using a card reader. I have a permanent lead connected to a USB port and simply plug in the reader with the card already installed....The download doesn't use any camera battery of course and when the pictures are downloaded, Elements 4 (which I know you have) asks if yoiu want to clear the card and that is that. I bought my card reader from TEG computers in Sydney http://www.tegcom.com.au for about $8.....I also use their Tonny inks in my ip5000 printer as recommended by PC User $6.40 each instead of about $24 for genuine Canon....Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:07 AM   #4

Do yourself a favor and use a card reader......before the usb connection malfunctions and you have too get a reader...Faster, surer ,safer and if something would go terribly wrong while transferring would you rather have a $400.00 camera shorted out or a $10.00 reader?

IMHO...I see no point in worring about removing the card ,thats what they are made for ....there are times at home if I am testing settings or something similar I may have the card in and out a dozen times a day.

Also I have filled several cards a day when on vacation....I have no problem with removing the card.......But I did say that only my opinion.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:26 AM   #5

The built in card reader on my laptop is much faster then the usb on the camera. If you fill a 512 or 1gig card you will really see a difference.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:39 AM   #6

I too have an SD reader on my laptop and use it 99% of the time, it's very convenient. I recently installed a card reader on my desktop computer as well. I have never used the USB cable to get images off any of my panasonics.

One warning, I'm not in the habit of formatting the memory everytime I put the memory in the camera so I suggest that you use the safely remove memory technique in windows before taking the card out of your reader. I haven't had any incidents yet with my SD cards (knock on wood) but I have had issues with my usb thumb drive by just yanking it out when I was done.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:41 AM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
My card was out of my camera only once, and that was to test a slower card for comparison. With a cradle and USB2 I see no reason to ever remove the card. The battery has never been out either and I've had the camera for a year. It will fill my 1Gb card with power left over and I've never bothered with a spare as I needed with all my other cameras.
What camera?Do any panies have a cradle option? Fill up a a 1g card with power left over? That's one reason I prefer a reader, using up that much more of the battery for downloading.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:37 AM   #8

i use a card reader. it's faster, i don't need to drain the camera battery, and i can save files back to the card.it doesn't need a cable - plugs straight into the USB port on the front of my computer. the reader cost me $5.99 on eBay (including shipping), is smaller than a cigarette lighter, and works like a charm.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:11 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
What camera?Do any panies have a cradle option? Fill up a a 1g card with power left over? That's one reason I prefer a reader, using up that much more of the battery for downloading.
Good point – I was perusing the recent items and didn't notice I was on the Panny board.

The card has only been out of my FZ10 once, and that was to install a faster card and swap the slow one over to my Palm. But FZ10 files are small and I seldom fill my 256Mb card as it isn't my everyday snapshot camera.

The FZ10 transfer isn't too fast but the cord stays out of the way and it is more convenient for me to just plug the camera in without regularly handling the card. When I'm through I swap out the battery with the spare in the charger and I'm set to go. I've never run out of power before the download was through, but I don't use the LCD much.

I don't ever remember needing the pictures right now. Download time is effectively zero as I check my mail, the boards or whatever.

If I had a FZ30 I would shoot mostly in raw and probably regularly fill a large card. If the camera is as slow as my FZ10 I would probably use my card reader. There is a big difference between 1.5Mb images and 15Mb images.

But transfer rates from USB2 cameras are just about as fast as a USB2 card reader. I find it a lot easier to just plug a camera in than remove my card. I actually went out once with my C50 with no battery in the camera – and I have two batteries for it. I know it is a problem peculiar to me, but I am dingy enough I would eventually grab a camera without a card in it if I used a card reader. A good workflow helps, but you sometimes get distracted.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:56 PM   #10

C A R D R E A D E R Hands down. Haory old buggers like me have always got parts from computers, nuclear reactor pieces, motherboards, manuals...fish heads, half eaten sandwhiches, nubile models waiting to be photographed...stuff and more stuff all over my rather large computer desk. A L L the time. Setting my pristine, immaculate, revered, camera in the midst of that flotsam would be just asking for gravity to intervene and send it crashing to the floor. The card reader is also akin to greased lightning. And so light and small, there are no worries about it coming to grief. Another very good argument (via Gene) is the goblins directing miniscule voltages and amperages, bits and bytes, may one day run amuck. Better by far they smoke the el cheapo easily replaceable reader than the shrine with which yur megapixel goodness lights up all the members of Steve's. EEZ a no brainer...no?

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote