Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:26 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm new to those lens hood things. Until now I never carried it with me, just because its to big to slip easily into my little camera bag without reverse mounting it on the cam. And also I don't like the look of the camera with it attached. Its sooo bulky with it, looks so pro-ish then. :?

So please, can you explain to me, when I should consider using it anyways? Which situations/under which conditions? What effect does it have?
Yesterday this came to my mind, when I was shooting from inside the train through the windows. I often had a reflection of the metallic UV filter ring on the window, so I guessed, maybe thats when a lens hood would've helped out, would it?

Thanks for your time.
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:19 AM   #2

no, lens hood must be set on your FZ30 in sunny days to give some protection agains lateral reflections which may cause flare in the pics.
Also thread it correctly with perfectly perpendicular projections, just like a "+", or you ll get vignetting on the corners of the images
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:20 AM   #3

the lens hood won't help with reflections from glass and such, but it will, as Narmer said, reduce the chance of lens flare from bright light outdoors on sunny days. also, as Narmer mentioned, if you're using the factory "petal" style hood, make sure the longer petals are at the top and bottom, not twisted to one side.

you didn't mention which model FZ you're using,but if you don't like the "pro-ish" look (i suspect most of us don't mind that very much! ), you might try using a collapsible hood that you can fold back while on the camera when it's not in use. it works quite well,but is a bit more inconspicuous on the camera when it's folded back.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:15 AM   #4

Well, the "without reverse mounting it on the cam" leads me to believe that it's an FZ30. And Narmer, the FZ30 lens hood clips on, and it has a tab-slot thing at the bottom so that it can only be oriented one way. And yes, squirl, you can fold the hood back on the camera, but then you can't turn the zoom/focus rings.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:28 AM   #5

The more I read these threads the more I realize how difficult it must be to design the perfect camera.......Myself I never take the hood off.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:49 AM   #6

If you see his posts history you know he uses a FZ30.

You re right Genece.

I still have my FZ20 plastic hood, which gives me no problem with Nikon diopters (I thread one inside the hood, then the 72-62mm step down ring and the 5T outside) but it gives bad reflections with the 72mm UV filter on it and blocks flash:

definitely one of the worst tool ever projected for a digicam
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:03 PM   #7

Try this:

On a sunny morning, put on your sunglasses, and look anywhere with the sun falling directly over the sunglasses.

Now use your hands or a cap to make a shadow and cover with that shadow your sunglasses.

See the difference?? this is exactly what the lenshood makes to your camera.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:34 PM   #8

ignavia wrote:
Quote:
And yes, squirl, you can fold the hood back on the camera, but then you can't turn the zoom/focus rings.
interesting... the collapsible hood i have doesn't fold back nearly far enough to be a problem... i guess the zoom ring on the FZ30 is a lot closer to the front of the lens than i thought...

this problem, of course, is why God invented push/pull zooms! :G

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:21 PM   #9

Thank you all, for your answers so far.
Yes, you're right, I'm using the FZ30.
I already thought of that lens flare reducing effect, but is it really the only thing it is good for? No other uses? Personally I like lens flares very much, so I guess, I can leave the hood off from now on. I tried shooting with it attached today, but it was a cloudy day and thus I didn't see any effect.

So thanks again, I'm putting this thing back into the box. And the box into another box and .... :lol:

Happy shooting!
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:46 PM   #10

The lens hood is indeed important with sunny day outdoor pics. It helps provide a more accurate light meter reading by blocking light from entering from side, and above, angles into the lens, thus aiding in preventing underexsposed pics.

Take the lens hood off when using the built in flash. If you have a external, elavated, flash, the hood isn`t much of a problem.

The closer a UVfilter is to the objective lens ( the first glass where light enters the lens) the less of a chance for flare. Good multi-coating on the filteralso helps a great deal alsoin reducing flare, and in proper light meter reading.

Why the pedal/scalloped shapeon the entrance of thehood? The lense is round. Pics are rectangular. In order to evenly distribute light, thru a round opening,to a rectangular shape, designers had to "trim the corners" of the round opening. Kind of a way of hammerring in a roundpeg into arectangular hole.

S`later, JH
John H is offline   Reply With Quote