Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:37 AM   #1

Apart from the extra megapixel (which I'm not worried about), 800/1600 ISO (which are unusable) and better video (which I need) are there any other pros and cons?

Thanks

Chris
ckthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:11 AM   #2

I think FZ30 is far a better choice than FZ7, and don't expect much from FZ7 ISO 400-1600

nar

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:15 AM   #3

ckthegreek wrote:
Quote:
Apart from the extra megapixel (which I'm not worried about), 800/1600 ISO (which are unusable) and better video (which I need) are there any other pros and cons?

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

I went from the FZ3 to the 7 so for me there were a lot of improvements. Over the 20 you still get IMHO better handling, smaller size, and the quick navigation of settings via the joystick. For me that last one may turn out to be the biggest improvement. If you like to shoot in any of the manual biased modes you'll really like it. As for the 800/1600 being "unusable" give it time I think with some work and understanding of what it is capable of it may turn out to be a good feature. See my latest test image based on an idea Fred came up with

here --> http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=23&page=2

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:41 PM   #4

ckthegreek wrote:
Quote:

Thanks

Chris
I would go for the FZ5 instead, cheaper is better, almost the same or even better when it comes to pics, video is worst... Or wait until the price drops on the 7 if you need a "movie camera"...
But honestly, you can't really compare your camera with these two. I've got the FZ5 and noise is a huge problem already at ISO 200 if the sky isn't clear.
:roll
I'm forced to use ISO 80 and a tripod as soon the sky turns grey.
PetroL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:18 PM   #5

A big "con" to me is the lack of a hot shoe. I don't know whether the FZ7 supports an external shutter trigger or not. f not, that would be a second big loss to my mind.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:38 PM   #6

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
As for the 800/1600 being "unusable" give it time I think with some work and understanding of what it is capable of it may turn out to be a good feature. See my latest test image based on an idea Fred came up with

here --> http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=23&page=2

-Brett

Great photo posting, Brett... I'd say, for my part/uses, your 1600 ISO shot at reduced MP illustrates that it is a good feature to have available for problematic circumstances.Additional confirmations would be the same 1600-ISO/3-MP shot versus the 1600/6-MP upsizedversus the other available ISO ranges, with their Aperture/Shutter settings,so one can truely get an idea of the differentials in generated noises across the ISO ranges at low light.

This photo indicates to me itcan bea quite handy option to have and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:04 PM   #7

tclune wrote:
Quote:
A big "con" to me is the lack of a hot shoe. I don't know whether the FZ7 supports an external shutter trigger or not. f not, that would be a second big loss to my mind.
FZ7 does not have a hot shoe or trigger. However, you can still use a digital slave unit. I have the Vivitar DF200 as do a few others. When I needmore flash or a bounce Iwill just grabthat.

-Brett

P.S. Telecorder, I posted some additional test shots on the other thread.
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote