Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:58 PM   #1

I know how to crop out a subject in a photo that I want. But what exactly does one mean when they say 100% cropped. I know I can resize and and enhance a photo, but is cropping done in percentages? I missed something. I have a cropping tool, but cannot find anything that relates to percentages.

Enlightment would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:17 PM   #2

It usually means that you cropped a pic, but you did not resize it.

Most of the time, to show a pic, you resize it (making it smaller) so the final result fits the computer screen and takes less time for the page to download. Then everybody will congratulate you on how beautiful your photography is, and half of them will ask for your ISO / Shutter speed / aperture / White Balance settings.

But there's always one of us who will ask "what about the noise / detail / colour / pixels, etc. / in the original pic?" (viewing it at 100%) So, you crop it as not to load the huge image (also, as not giving away your work on the internet).

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:38 PM   #3

I liked the reply!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:47 PM   #4

In this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

<---- this guy posts some 100% crops, and also asks others to do it.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:38 PM   #5

To Jose and Raghu, thanks for your reply. As a newbe, sometimes due to different expressions, terminology of the subject, I don't always see the entire picture (pun intended). I thought maybe I was overlooking something. I am trying to learn to use the FZ-30 and PE4. All of this is much different than what I was used to. Before, all I ever did was take a photo, download and print from Windows wizard.

Thanks again.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:47 AM   #6

Hold on just a minute. Jose gave a very helpful response in plain simple English, but it didn't go quite far enough for me. It gets back to the original question: how do you know when the crop is 100%? To which I would add, how do you post it?

I use Picasa2 for routine purposes, and it has a zoom bar that goes to 100% and beyond. When I zoom to 100%, two things happen: (1) I get a tiny segement of the original photo that looks like cr*& and (2) I can see know way to save or share that ?crop?

I am developing a strong feeling that the "100% crop" is not a useful tool for the vast majority of non-professional photographers, and instead a useful tool only for a small elite who can discriminate differences among such images.
TLB39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:55 AM   #7

Actually it makes perfect sense to me, the reply.In short it just means you see the image as what it is, at 100% except that you merely crop a section out to show so as to allow others to view it quicker without having to scroll left and right.What this does is that it simply shows you the quality of the image. I believe there's no true way to find out if it's really 100% of the image that's being shown but in the case of reviews or when one wants honest and brutal criticism, people would do an actual crop of the image at 100%.I hope I'm making sense here.
GarethPhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:35 PM   #8

Jose A
Maybe you are saying this, but I have always been under the impression that a 100% crop (as opposed to just "cropped") is one in which the image is showing EVERYoriginal pixel (of a portion of the photo) on whatever screen you are using, thru cropping, not resizing.

In other words, if you have your monitor resolution set to 800x600, a 100% crop would be taking an 800x600 piece of the original, as opposed to resizing the original down to 800x600.

OK, so 800x600 is 480,000 pixels (call it half a meg for simplicity), therefore you should have to do about 12 crops in a 6 megapixel photo to get true 100% cropped images of it.

I could be wrong, but that's what I assumed a 100% crop is.

I think what's useful about it is that it allows you to see what the camera is actually capable of before you resize and let your imaging program start tossing out pixels it deems unnecessary.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote