Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:58 AM   #1

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and to Photography. I picked up an FZ 30 not to long ago and still trying to learn how to use it. I am also trying to learn to have that eye for pictures. Here are some recent pictures I took while on lunch break the other day. Go easy on me I am still a noob at this. I hope to be talking and getting to know you all soon. Take care.

http://www.donte.smugmug.com/gallery/1247281
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:50 PM   #2

Welcome, Donte! Looking at your photos, you're off to a good start and SoCal/Newport Beach is a great locale for the 30.

One common aspect that I noticed in some of your photos is small areas of over exposure.Learning/using the Histogram will help with (The nice Jelly Fish for one). Some of the photos (water's edge with the rocks in the foreground) also show a bit of over exposure. When using the Histogram, check that the peaks aren't crowded up against either side (shadows/underexposure crowed peaks on left -- peaks to far right over exposed). Learning how toadjust the peaks withthe various modes of aperture, shutter, metering etc. will help overcome this.

I believe the FZ30 also has an option to display blown highlights, as well, that will help. Check the manual or perhaps other 30 users will elaborate.

All-in-all, though, you've started with some nice photos!
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:53 PM   #3

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
Welcome, Donte! Looking at your photos, you're off to a good start and SoCal/Newport Beach is a great locale for the 30.

One common aspect that I noticed in some of your photos is small areas of over exposure.Learning/using the Histogram will help with (The nice Jelly Fish for one). Some of the photos (water's edge with the rocks in the foreground) also show a bit of over exposure. When using the Histogram, check that the peaks aren't crowded up against either side (shadows/underexposure crowed peaks on left -- peaks to far right over exposed). Learning how toadjust the peaks withthe various modes of aperture, shutter, metering etc. will help overcome this.

I believe the FZ30 also has an option to display blown highlights, as well, that will help. Check the manual or perhaps other 30 users will elaborate.

All-in-all, though, you've started with some nice photos!
Quote:
Thanks for the help Telecorder :-)
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote