Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:51 AM   #1

Michael Reichmann, over at Luminous Landscape has posted a very interesting article on his own thoughts on what PMA2006 bought to the table.

Quote:

"The great Megapixel Race appears to be over. From the roughly 3 Megapixel Nikon D1 and Canon D30 of late 1999 and early 2000, to today's mainstream 6 – 8 Megapixel and top of the line 12-16 Megapixel models, we now seem to have reached a point of equilibrium. More Megapixels aren't what most photographers need. We need better Megapixels, and the manufacturers seem to have realized this."

You can read the rest here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...ma-30000.shtml

So hopefully, we will cameras with cleaner sensors, reasonable no of megapixels on a a sensor and thus better picture quality.

He's also got an interesting bit on the DMCL1 and 4/3's.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:02 PM   #2

I don't think he's hitting home runs on every opinion. But we should see very soon....maybe this spring or summer, where the big names are heading.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:18 PM   #3

BETTER Megapixels for the FZ40!!!!!!
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:08 PM   #4

José A. wrote:
Quote:
BETTER Megapixels for the FZ40!!!!!!
Betterbetter better MP's and please, please....just ONE more jump (maybe to 10 MP's) for me, the serious cropper! I would indeed love to see both!

Kd
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:41 PM   #5

Back when I was looking for my first digital camera. The talk was when we get up to 6 or GASPH 8Mega Pix would equal consumer 35mm.

More pixels wont help. Unless some one can cut the cost of even the medium format printers. AKA those 15 wide. Not the big Wide Format { 50" } jobs.

There are new sensor comming out that rival and exced what the human eye can capture in light. That will be the end of flash.

I am very happy with both the Panasonic LX1 and the old Olympus C2020Z. Both are outstanding cameras.

I love the article.

Now if Panasonic will just release that new lether case for the LX1!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:18 AM   #6

If I remember correctly (someone correct me, if not) those great pics we're getting back from Mars are from a 1MP sensor. There's no question that there are other considerations besides the number of megapixles when striving for good camera performance. One of those multi-variable equations I used to hate:angry:.

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:20 PM   #7

Nightwing wrote:
Quote:
Back when I was looking for my first digital camera. The talk was when we get up to 6 or GASPH 8Mega Pix would equal consumer 35mm.

More pixels wont help. Unless some one can cut the cost of even the medium format printers. AKA those 15 wide. Not the big Wide Format { 50" } jobs.

There are new sensor comming out that rival and exced what the human eye can capture in light. That will be the end of flash.

I am very happy with both the Panasonic LX1 and the old Olympus C2020Z. Both are outstanding cameras.

I love the article.

Now if Panasonic will just release that new lether case for the LX1!
Wosrt comes to worst, I know I am happy enough with whats out now. I love my FZ 30, and I know what I will buy when I get a dslr. (i'll use'em both believe me) but...give me a clean sensor and more MP's even tho I don't make big prints. I'm just a farmer. I love my crops!

Kd