Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:46 AM   #1

Was at my usual small park today, and went all over (small place) looking for things to shoot. Funny thing, notice alot of spider's nest today. Saw a Lynx, and a small JS.

Appreciate your views and comments pls. Thanks!

FZ10+6T+Sigma CU, Ext bounce flash, F8, ISO 50 various speeds from 1/100-1/160s

#1: Guarding the nest
Pity she only has 6 legs. Lost 2 rear left ones.

#2: Another view

#3: JS Nest

#4: When hiding behind the web
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:39 AM   #2

Great as alwaystchuanye .

Love no.3 I likethe way she's looking out. Nice and sharp.

Steve
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:55 PM   #3

tchuanye great pics as usual but was just wondering do you own your own spider farm ?? ha ha ha

superb pics i'm not a hugh fan of spiders but i always look forward to seeing your pics. hopefully one day my macro pics will be as good as yours.

How close do you actually get to the spiders ?

Mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:35 PM   #4

Dear Tchuanye

there are two things which always impress me about your shots:

1) they look professional from any point of view, always sharp, well focussed, great light and colors

2) these creatures are amazing to see, and +4,5 or higher diopters literally open new worlds. Many of these species are rare or absent in Europe.

Now don't misunderstand me, but after seeing hundreds of pics from you (many I have saved on my HD) I am obviously less impressed than before, owing to the continuously equal (very high) level of your photograpy standard.
I don't think it would change very much (apart from better resolution and maybe colors transitions) if you used a dSLR.
What can instead still make the difference is to search for the particular "shooting situation":
I mean the JS in #3,4 is not as sharp and characterized and the LS, which body is fully visible. And if I had never seen a pic from you, my favourite would be #2 (although slightly ruined by flash reflection on the eyes, but it's good that stings on the legs are in focus). This would be a great shot for anyone of use, for you is just a common one...
On the other hand the JS in #3 and #4 REALLY WORKS as a photographic composition, with those big eyes in the web hole (#3) and behind the web thread (4).
These express tenderness, fear, will to hideand I would print that for my wall (although I ve never printed anything more than postcard size from my FZ20).
It is an unusual thing, which is the 3)rd element for great pics.

Indeed luck/chance hasa great part in it, I know, but sometimes it's not just it (like in the case of stumbling upon insects laying down their eggs in ordered rows or patterns, or struggling spiders, "working" ants, insects in particular posesand more strange situations) but also angle of shooting or other simple consideration can make a better pic.
I don't know the focal length, but if you had zoomed all the way in on that JS iw would have been a shot under the average, whereas as you ve done it, it really works and makes it a span above YOUR average (your "average" is already something I would judge/mark about 7,5 - 8,5 out of 10).

Thank you for your art and skill in portrayingNature

Francesco
MACROS

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:52 PM   #5

tchuanye..how you been ..I see your still producing great stuff on here...nice work as always

wILLOw
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:12 AM   #6

Steve, Willow1 Thanks for your comments!

Mark, Thanks. For my setup, the spiders are 19cm away.

wadge1 wrote:
Quote:
tchuanye great pics as usual but was just wondering do you own your own spider farm ?? ha ha ha

superb pics i'm not a hugh fan of spiders but i always look forward to seeing your pics. hopefully one day my macro pics will be as good as yours.

How close do you actually get to the spiders ?

Mark
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:16 AM   #7

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Dear Tchuanye

there are two things which always impress me about your shots:

1) they look professional from any point of view, always sharp, well focussed, great light and colors

2) these creatures are amazing to see, and +4,5 or higher diopters literally open new worlds. Many of these species are rare or absent in Europe.

Now don't misunderstand me, but after seeing hundreds of pics from you (many I have saved on my HD) I am obviously less impressed than before, owing to the continuously equal (very high) level of your photograpy standard.
I don't think it would change very much (apart from better resolution and maybe colors transitions) if you used a dSLR.
What can instead still make the difference is to search for the particular "shooting situation":
I mean the JS in #3,4 is not as sharp and characterized and the LS, which body is fully visible. And if I had never seen a pic from you, my favourite would be #2 (although slightly ruined by flash reflection on the eyes, but it's good that stings on the legs are in focus). This would be a great shot for anyone of use, for you is just a common one...
On the other hand the JS in #3 and #4 REALLY WORKS as a photographic composition, with those big eyes in the web hole (#3) and behind the web thread (4).
These express tenderness, fear, will to hideand I would print that for my wall (although I ve never printed anything more than postcard size from my FZ20).
It is an unusual thing, which is the 3)rd element for great pics.

Indeed luck/chance hasa great part in it, I know, but sometimes it's not just it (like in the case of stumbling upon insects laying down their eggs in ordered rows or patterns, or struggling spiders, "working" ants, insects in particular posesand more strange situations) but also angle of shooting or other simple consideration can make a better pic.
I don't know the focal length, but if you had zoomed all the way in on that JS iw would have been a shot under the average, whereas as you ve done it, it really works and makes it a span above YOUR average (your "average" is already something I would judge/mark about 7,5 - 8,5 out of 10).

Thank you for your art and skill in portrayingNature

Francesco
MACROS
Thanks Narmer for your very kind comments.

I agree with you this are not very excellent shots, as I personally would have preferred it to be abit more in focus. But the nesting shots were interesting to me, as I rarely see one with a spider in it:lol:.

For these JS shots, they were taken at x12, and cropped abt 50% cos it was really small. So the crop is for improvement of composition.

Appreciate your compliments! Thanks!

BTW, I will be away in Scotland (for work) from tomorrow (Mon) for a week and will not have internet access. So if you don't hear from me you know why. May post somemore today if I get any shots at all.

Will see you all next week! Heard its cold there.....

rgds

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:08 PM   #8

I hope you'll have your FZ10 with you, there.
Scotlandhas incredibly beautiful landscapes
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:52 AM   #9

I don't like saying "Wow" but Wow. Excellent work TC as usual M8t. Fine sharp work and great perspectives along with good comps. Gotta love it :-)

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:49 AM   #10

Hi Danny,

Just came back from Scotland, hence the late reply.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for looking!

CY

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
I don't like saying "Wow" but Wow. Excellent work TC as usual M8t. Fine sharp work and great perspectives along with good comps. Gotta love it :-)

Danny.