Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1

Hi all,I am new to this board and have done a search but nothing seems to come up for the question I have in mind.I am using a Mac, OS 10.3.9 and have only got Photoshop CS which only gives me Camera RAW ver 2.4 plug-in.I managed to open the RAW file taken with my FZ30 using¬*Graphic Converter ver 5.8 to open it but unfortunately, the resolution is only 72 dpi, at 3288 by 2458 pixels. That works out to roughly 116cm by 86cm. Based on a chart that I saw, it seems that an 8 megapixel shot SHOULD be able to give excellent A2 prints and acceptable A1 & A0 prints. If I resize it to 300dpi, it ends up slightly smaller than A4 lengthwise. If so, then it's gonna be stretching it a little as far as prints go¬* if I intend to print something at let's say A1 size no?
I saved it in TIF format to open in Photoshop CS since I cannot directly open the RAW file there and certainly am not familiar enough with Graphic Converter to do more than open and save it as a TIF.What I need to know from fellow FZ30 users is that at what dpi is your RAW image in when you first open it? If it's 300dpi, how do I set my camera to take 300 dpi shots or is that possible? My Nikon Coolpix 5900's default resolution is 300 dpi so it's even weirder that a RAW image is less than that in terms of DPI.¬* Also, have any of you printed direct from the TIF at 72dpi, 116cm by 86cm and if so, were there any problems?Many thanks in advance,Gareth Phua
GarethPhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:52 PM   #2

I am not sure I can explain this in a manner that will be satisfactory to you....but dpi means nothing unless you are printing.......And you do not need 300 dpi to print a good quality print 150dpi will do but 200 would be better.

I am going to include this link that may make sense or may not. Most all camera makers use this 72 dpi for uploading but not all...Canon is one that does not but it makes no difference in how you view the photo on screen.

I use a software to upload to the computer and I can upload them in any dpi I wish the photos all look the same on the monitor but it can make it easier when you print.

If you understand it makes no difference on your monitor ,,,the Idea gets easier to understand.

http://www.ekdahl.org/test_dpi/test2dpi.htm

Oh and this makes no difference if its raw or jpeg unless yor software is changing it ...the camera does not change the dpi between formats.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:36 PM   #3

Thanks genece.Yes my concern is because I intend to print some of my shots, which are sometimes approximately A3 or even A2, which is why I am a little concerned with the lack of DPI.At 72dpi, it is approximately 116cm by 86cm as mentioned earlier, which thereby gives me close to A1 size, probably enough for my needs. However, if I do go 200 dpi, it shrinks to round about A3 size, which is where my concern is.I guess there's not much that can be done here seeing as I am spreading 8 megapixels over a given scalable size.Thanks for the link anyway. I'll need to take some time to digest it.
GarethPhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:04 PM   #4

Yes the A3 is printable at 200dpi and A2 is printable at 150dpi and I think you will like the results....if not you can always have photoshop interpolate at 10% increments to get to the size you wish......And there is always Genuine Fractuals that can increase any print by at least 4 times, which would easily get you to A1.....But keep in mind for the most part the larger you print the further away you usually view the photo from so the DPI does not need to be as dense.

If you send these to the printers its quite amazing what online photo developers can do.....I have 16 X 24 inch prints from a 2mp camera that are very nice.

I just sent some photos of my grandkids taken with a 3mp camera to.kodakgallery.com and on to my daughter and she said they are beautiful..but I really have not seen them yet. they were printed at 16 X 20and taken witha Fuji 3100. and all I did was resize them to control the crop and uploaded them.

They have been printing A2 from digital cameras long before there were any 8mp cameras.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote