Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:34 AM   #91

Hi Capella,

Thank you very much for your post. I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm very glad to hear about the happy ending. I'm just curious though, what was the big revelation for you? What settings did you change and what are you doing differently now?
The reason why I'm asking is that I'm still in the learning process with this camera as well and would like to find out as much as possible from people who really know how to use it.

Thanks again for your post, and keep shooting.

shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:05 AM   #92

Hi Capella,

Thank you very much for your post. I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm very glad to hear about the happy ending. I'm just curious though, what was the big revelation for you? What settings did you change and what are you doing differently now?
The reason why I'm asking is that I'm still in the learning process with this camera as well and would like to find out as much as possible from people who really know how to use it.

Thanks again for your post, and keep shooting.
----------------------------------------------

Thank you. I certainly don't consider myself among those who "really know how to use it", but I am so happy with it now that I think I'll get there.

There wasn't really a big revelation. I first had to get passed my utter disdain of the camera. I got so negative about it I couldn't see the forest for the trees. I thought it should produce in "auto" & let me learn slowly. It "appeared" to methe cameraassumed a level of skill and understanding I just didn't have.

Most of the settings I changed are wrapped around the focusing choices. People here have explained it, I just didn't "get it" - to apply it. I got away from multi-area everything.

I'll give you my settings, but I'm very sure there are many other combos and lots of good people here to explain why one thing might be better than another. Heck, I just discovered the joy of moving the point of focus around this weekend.

This is what I'm currently doing and it is working well for me for average, good light conditions. I understood the concepts of the various modes: P A S M etc., what I wasn't grasping fully is the meanings of the various menu options. The focusing modes were just difficult for me, for whatever reason. This is how I have my camera set right now:

White balance: auto

Sensitivity: 80

Quality: Fine JPEG

Metering mode: Center weight

AF Mode: Single area high speed

Conti. AF: Off

Pict. ADJ: Everything STD except saturation, which is set to high.

Image Stabilization: Mode 2

I shoot primarily in the P or A mode.

Since I had some personal help and have gained more confidence since I got it back, I'm also much more willing to change this stuff and see what I like and what I don't. I do switch to spot focusing when I'm attempting close up stuff.

You know, no matter what the fall out, (i.e. people thinking I'm crazy asloon <grin>I'm really grateful for the learning and understanding this camera brings me. Yep, I needed to divorce it for awhile and probably nobody else has went so far as to ship it off to a friend with more experience, but it was the right thing for *me*. I'm shooting almost daily and my confidence keeps increasing as I look at my shots and can say "oh this worked!"

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:07 AM   #93

Puddock wrote:

''I think that for a lot of folks the process of learning how to use a camera like the FZ30 is all the more painful due to a lack of background knowledge in photography in general.''

Yes I will agree wholeheartedly on this.

And cheers to you Capella for getting a grip on this and finally deciding not to be mastered by something you should be mastering to some degree.:-)

''To have any hope of consistent results those of us who started out years ago with manual 35mm SLRs had no option other than to gain an understanding of things like f. stops and depth of field, etc.''

Can I get an amen on that one. And I'm telling my age too. Sixty three.

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:34 PM   #94

Thank you Puddock for your encouraging comment and Andrew, I do say amen to it!!!

Although, I never actually had an SLR but I have to admit it was for good reason. They scared the heck out of me! :lol: I always had an automatic-everything type camera. Auto focus, auto advance, auto pilot...jk.

I figured I could NEVER learn a camera so complicated as an SLR. All those levers and dials labeled with obscure numbers and letters. I heard words and phrases like aperture, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, OIS, white balance, macro, and all those focuses - Spot, multible and center weighted. And what was depth of field? I would begin to shut down trying to make sense of it all. OH, and manual focus with my own fingers? This was all so "other worldly" to me.

Whenever I saw a photographer who owned one of these so calledSLR's, I likened them to scientists. To watch one of those guys work was intimidating. The bags, vests, gear, not to mention lenses. I would watch a skilled SLR operator pull out a lense longer than my arm and just step back with awe while he attached it to his camera "body" along with his flash unit.By the time he was done attaching all the limbs to this creature, I was sure he worked for NASA.

Nope, I didn't think I could even come near to understanding any of these foreign concepts.

Now, here I am with my FZ30 happily learning all the above (well, almost). This camera has made it inviting to learn these concepts. It has been a gentle beckoning to learn more about what a good camera can do. I can grow slowly or fast if I wish and still have fun taking great pictures. I am so thankful to have such a camera to learn from without being too overwhelmed.

Yes, Andrew, Amen! And again, Puddock, thank you for your understanding and encouraging comments.
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote