Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:30 PM   #11

Debbie

At least try my suggestions

1. put the ISO on auto....will deal with the Dynamic Range in a minute

2. Put the metering on center meter and vary where you meter.

3. Use 1 area fast focus

4. put the camera on 4/3 ratio ..I have no problem with 3/2 but others have.

5. Turn off C AF.

6. set contrast to med or low

7. put NR on low.

8. Do not use MF until the other stuff has fallen in place.

9. do not use that program shift until you have all the other settings working for you..just vary where you meter.

I do understand that we all use a camera differently but since you are having a problem at least try these suggestions.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:34 PM   #12

are you waiting until the square turns green to say the subject is in focus before takig the shot? (half pressing)

i know its a silly question but gota ask to be sure

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:35 PM   #13

good focus outdoors

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:36 PM   #14

good focus indoors

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:39 PM   #15

and good focus on dimly lit indoors using flash and af illuminator

I just centre weighted focus seems to be the best i think

you can check out my exif info, i think its stil atached. but all taken with fz30. no real thinking involvedjust playing arnd with the cat

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:39 PM   #16

genece,

A laundry list! That's exactly what I need. And Sunpac thank you for doing something similar. Genece, I have set the camera per your instructions. Are you saying I should should in the red "auto" mode, rather than P??? I thought auto shut down a lot of those options that you pick. I never shoot in auto. It just seems wrong

I feel so much better I'm so glad I worked up the nerve to talk about this.

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:41 PM   #17

hope this helps
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:02 PM   #18

Capella wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying I should should in the red "auto" mode, rather than P??? I thought auto shut down a lot of those options that you pick. I never shoot in auto. It just seems wrong
Of course not the red automatic mode. That one is only there for the situation, that you want to give the camera to a stranger to take a picture of your group somewhere at vacation
Please don't use it. P Mode is what you want if it has to be a quick shot. It leaves you with more settings, but not too many to take care for.
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:19 PM   #19

Leberwurstsaft wrote:
Quote:
Capella wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying I should should in the red "auto" mode, rather than P??? I thought auto shut down a lot of those options that you pick. I never shoot in auto. It just seems wrong
Of course not the red automatic mode. That one is only there for the situation, that you want to give the camera to a stranger to take a picture of your group somewhere at vacation
Please don't use it. P Mode is what you want if it has to be a quick shot. It leaves you with more settings, but not too many to take care for.

i feel the same way. i usep mode most of the time when i cant be bothered using the manual mode. p mode will give you great results. the whole idea is it is ment to present you with various fstop and shutter combinations that will give you the same exposrure at the end of the day. so you just chose lo f(2.8) for shalow dof or visa versa depending on wat effect you wnt.

but i do agree with other comments on changing your focus as centred and wait until the box turns green. Im not to sure about the metering as this is a case by case setting. But i usually use centre weighted which will alsmost always guarentee good exposure on my main subject usualy guarenteeing good saturation and so forth

ken

Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:44 PM   #20

Yes. There is now enough here for you to digest. Do follow these suggestions. In the end you will know one of two things. Either where you are going wrong, or that (hopefully not the case) you found yourself a rare lemon in this marvelous camera.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote