Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:38 PM   #51

Hi Debbie! I haven't been keeping up with the forum for a few days, but just have to say I'm so glad you started this thread! I too have been more than a little frustrated with my FZ30 for many of the same reasons you have it appears - yet I *LOVED* my FZ20 which I lost due to theft mid-January. I started looking immediately and couldn't wait to get the FZ30, thinking that it would be a piece of cake to use.

Well, it ain't been easy for me either - and I'd begun to think that I had a bad camera as well. Like you, I like to shoot in program mode as well (I take surfing pix and outdoor stuff primarily) and while my pix would look great in the viewfinder, I'd come home and download and find poorly focused and just plain bad images. Who'da thunk this would be so much harder to grasp than the previous incarnation?

At any rate, I decided after reading through the manual *again* to just reset it to default and shoot strictly auto. That's what I've been doing for several days, and I'm generally very happy with my images now.

I'm just hoping that I can get a grip on some of the manual settings and be as comfortable with it as I was the FZ20.

At any rate, I'm going to try some of the suggestions offered here as well.
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:48 PM   #52

Kayceespix,

Well, in spite of all the best efforts of everyone here, I just took the photographs and I'm going to throw my FZ30 out on Ebay tonight. I am so glad to hear you loved your FZ20 because that's what I'm going to replace it with. I also loved my FZ10, but unfortunately sold it to fund the darn FZ30.

I have now struggled along with this camera since December 14th. I've given all the time and energy I am going to give to it. If this means I'm a more happy being more of a point and shooter, so be it. I want to have fun with my hobby, not beat myself to death and wonder from shot to shot what will come of it. I tried to get in the spirit of the thing because everyone was so wonderful here. Call me an FZ30 failure if you will, but I'm going to go for the FZ20 and be happy again.

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:13 PM   #53

Debbie - sorry to hear that, but I hear ya! I'm trying to make this work now, and I'm feeling a bit better about it - but if I weren't trying to make this more than a hobby, I'd probably go back to my FZ20 in a NY minute!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:41 PM   #54

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=23&page=1
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:21 AM   #55

I'm really surprised to hear a few of you are having problems with the FZ30! I think your being too quick to blame photo failures and poor performance on the camera! The FZ30 is a great camera and stands head and shoulders above anything else in it's price range. The camera can only do what the operator has it to do. I don't think it's right to say a camera is defective or incapable of taking good pictures when 99% of the time a poor quality picture is due to how the photographer used the camera to take the picture. That's like a driver who gets a lot of tickets saying it's the car's fault !
Debbie, I don't think you will find the FZ20 any different, or easier to use than the FZ30. The FZ30 has more features and a larger sensor but both have to be used properly to take high quality pictures! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:49 AM   #56

Sometimes the best way to learn is to experiment. Tackling an experiment beyond your capabilities can be ruinous. To gain more experience with different equipment can not be a bad thing, and in the end the results will all lead back to where you left off, perhaps for another try after experiencing successes at a less challenging level. Sooner or later, as is proven to be the case, it is the person who tries, that succeeds.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:26 AM   #57

Hi Jim!

I actually agree completely - after all, it is a poor workman who blames his tools! I really have always figured that I'm the problem - not the camera, but frankly, as I went to the FZ20 from an Oly C-750 I found the transition VERY easy and loved the FZ20 immediately. I was just shocked to find that three weeks after losing the FZ20 when I got the FZ30 I felt that I'd forgotten everything I ever knew. I tried setting everything up as I remembered using the FZ20, and nothing worked as well as I remembered. My first batch of surf pix came out totally blurry. I figured out the problem, and moved on - next batch, slightly less blurry. Played around with a bunch of different things, but none of my shots seemed as clear as what I was getting before, and I figured with 8MP they should be noticeably better. I just was at a point last week when I began to wonder if there was a problem with my camera - but resetting to original defaults and shooting at automatic has pretty much convinced me that I've just got to take it slow in figuring this one out - so really, in my case I realize it is a learning curve and I'm gonna stick with it. I think there are just a number of upgrades to this camera that seemingly are straightforward (i.e. the EZ feature and the focus/zoom rings) but which added just enough more capability to make it a little less user friendly for those of us who never really got the basics of 35mm SLR's. I'm still learning - but not giving up!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:39 AM   #58

Just to clarify,I don't want to leave folks with the impression that I lay the blame for my failure on the gear. I'm sure it sounded like that at the beginning of this thread. I don't find this camera to be user friendly *for me*. Maybe if I had never had an FZ10 I would assume all digitals had this learning curve. But I did have one, I want to go back to that level of fun with my hobby.

I'm looking at FZ20's now and tossing around the FZ7. I love the panasonic line. The FZ30 is just more than I want to deal with because for me the shots are hit and miss - because of *my* lack of ability or whatever.

I make 4 X 6 prints and an occasionaly 8 x 10. If it's true that your hobby should be fun, then trying to learn this camera is ebbing the fun out it for me. And has been for several months. It took a long time for me to even make this true confession.

I'm just not as good as all of you, OK. I'll accept that. You have an end user amongh you who has never been happy with the choice they made, so has opted to fall back.

Debbie
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:12 AM   #59

Capella wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at FZ20's now and tossing around the FZ7. I love the panasonic line. The FZ30 is just more than I want to deal with because for me the shots are hit and miss - because of *my* lack of ability or whatever.

I'm just not as good as all of you, OK. I'll accept that. You have an end user amongh you who has never been happy with the choice they made, so has opted to fall back.

Debbie
Debbie,

First off it's not about being as "good" as anybody else. Some people just work better with different tools.

As for the FZ7 I love it, however, it will not have the same controls and operation that your 10 had. If you are interested in the smaller size FZ series then take a hard look at the FZ5. It has the same operations as the 10 and 20, sans the manual focus ring. But it does have some nice handling features and improvements. This is the camera I would recommend for you to try. The 20 is great but look at the FZ5 first.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:57 AM   #60

Thanks Brett,

I don't mean to come off sounding pathetic or defensive "not as good", but for several months I have been feeling like my IQ was sinking

Thanks for tip.

Debbie