Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:39 PM   #61

Kayceespix, I'm glad to see that your going to stick with it. I think in the long run you will find that you made the right decision and will be happier for it. As Kenneth stated "it is the person who tries, that succeeds".

Debbie, My purpose for writing my last message was that I was concerned that there would be people who were interested in buying the FZ30 that would read your messages and think there was a problem with the camera and they would look elsewhere and bypass one of the better cameras on the market. I just felt you were not being fair to the camera by faulting it instead of looking for the real problem. I think you probably would be much happier with a camera similar to what you had, and as Brett said, maybe the FZ5 would be better suited for you. As I stated in my previous message I don't think you would be any happier with the FZ20 due to it's learning curve being similiar to the FZ30. However I wish you the best of luck with whichever way you go and hope you find the camera that's right for you. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:53 PM   #62

Hi Jim -

Yes, I think ultimately I'll be very happy - and am working on expanding my understanding of the various settings. One thing I did when I first got my Oly a couple years ago was to join dpchallenge. I learned a lot from the folks there - and got some good "creative thinking" going. I think it's time for me to revisit that as it does help me with my creative eye as well as makes me learn how to get the most from my camera under a variety of conditions.

It was just helpful to me to hear that I was not alone in feeling a bit overwhelmed - I was beginning to think I was nuts, LOL!
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:25 PM   #63

Capella wrote:
Quote:
I bought it in mid-December.

Debbie

Who would rather not be shot at sunrise for this true confession, but *this* camera is not for me.
Debbie- (and to a certain extent, KayCee...)Just read all of the responses to your initial posting last Sunday and felt that I'd offer my perspective, FWIW...

I, too, had all of the dreaming and sweet anticipation of having all of these great, detailed 'blow-one-away' photos right from the start with my FZ5! That was in November 2005 and, believe me, I was sorely frustrated and disappointed when all of my attempts just weren't there...

Like you, I went back to the manual, experimented with all of the different settings etc and began to second guess my purchase. But, this much I can offer and I believe that you alluded to it in one of your postings - Some cameras may not be the most appropriate for how we shoot, how often we use itand/or how much effort we are willing to invest in learning how to use it.

When you have the time, go back and look at how many photos you've taken since first purchasing it. If you're not into the thousands by now, your time-investment in learning how to use the FZ30's capabilities is the main issue and it may just be too much camera for your usage and level of investment efforts...

I'm not sure, but my first photo started with P1010001 and I'm now, after ~4-months, at P1060063. I'm not sure if this reflects 5,000 photos or 50,000 photos in this time period (anyone help me out here?). My point to be made is that I'm just now getting occasional to quite a fewphotos to the quality level that I had hoped for when I took photo one! In looking back, I went through all of the frustration and questioning my purchase, the camera etc that you've indicated but have to finally admit, its been the camera operator that has produced the less than optimum photos and not the camera. Of course, I should point out that my usage is primarily for the hardest of the hard subjects - Birds-in-Flight and hard to get close to, movingsubjects; even with 12X and a 1.7 teleconverter.

So, FWIW, my perspective is that you're correct -the FZ30 is possibly too much of'a beast' for those that are only occasional users and either don't have, or don't want to invest in, theadequate time forlearning how to use it to produce the quality desired/seen here and elsewhere.

The FZ30 is the top-of-the-line super zoom that is capable of high quality and extraordinary photos approaching (and sometimes exceeding) quality DSLR photos. But one has to be willing to invest a minimum amount of time toobtain some level of experience in how to use any camera with advanced features. Good for you to acknowledge that its probably not the camera that is at issue. Just keep in mind that the FZ7 (or any other advanced digi model)will also require some amount of time-investment to achieve outstanding photo quality more times than not...

Your belated posting to the forum is a good example to all of us 'newbies' to not wait until we're ready to scream and throw in the towelto post and ask for help. Rather, start posting from the get go! Psuedo and real professional guidance, assistance, judgement and encouragement are what these forum's are here for and about.

Best of luck going forward with your next digi system and dopost tothe forum soon, frequent and early on to stave off one's mounting frustration in learning a new talent!
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:14 PM   #64

Debbie,

Seems worth observing at this point that the reason we buy cameras is to become better photographers, not better camera owners. A corollary, ironically, is that better cameras don't necessarily make us better photographers. And thus happier ones.

It's clear the people on this forum were touched by your plight, consider you brave for coming forward, and would prefer to have you enjoying photography regardless of what tool you ultimately choose.

As you go forward, I hope you'll look inward for what's important to you and cast a broad net. Panasonic's technology is dazzling. Yet, as Canon, Sony, Nikon, Kodak, Fuji, et al can attest, it's not irresistible for a lot of folks.

You've already held a camera that produces razor sharp images at ISO 200 and won't cause you to even think about post processing until you hit 800 and above. And of course there are other worthy dc's worthy of a close examination.

Let us know what you choose and stay in touch. We're all on a journey.

TLB39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:08 AM   #65

Just came across this thread. Strange. I had them both, the FZ20 and now the FZ30. both seem very easy to use and produce great results. I also have a Fuji F11 because it is compact and a Minolta Maxxum 5D DSLR. Previously owned a Canon G5 and briefly a Minolta Z1. I have found that all of them take great pictures in P mode if handled properly, which is basically "point andshoot."I just don't get what the problem is that could frustrate you for months, Debbie. But I do hope you resolve your problems with your new purchase. Let us know.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:27 AM   #66

Once again I want to step forward and tell everyone how much I appreciate the support, kindness and many many attempts to help that everyone has shown me. You are all fantastic people. You deserve to be proud of yourselves for community you have put together.

The photography phase of my life right now is composition and different kind of subjects. Moving far away from the standard birthday photos etc., that my albums had been filled with before. For whatever reason (me, I'm sure), I could "drive" the FZ10 with ease.

Even though it's not threaded (drat), I have opted to get a FZ20. I think it will be a good way to split the difference, so to speak. I'm familiar with how Panasonic dances, love the glass, love the image stabilazation, want very much to stick with what I know.

Please accept my heartfelt appreciation. I know I am the odd one out and certainly don't want to contribute to someone else avoiding the FZ30. This just wasn't a good fit for me. Neither was a mid-size, auto transmissioncar I had one time. I'm a five speed, Nissan Sentra kind of person

My best to everyone,

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:00 PM   #67

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure, but my first photo started with P1010001 and I'm now, after ~4-months, at P1060063. I'm not sure if this reflects 5,000 photos or 50,000 photos in this time period (anyone help me out here?).
You now have taken at least 5,063 photos provided you didn't reset the counter some where along the way.

You sure it didn't start with 1000001 ? My FZ20 did. If yes, then you have taken 6,063 photos.

P1060063

P = Panasonic

100 thru 106 = folder names, incremented one higher every 1000 images

0 = I dunno what Panasonic was thinking... it means nothing

063 = photo counter, goes as high as 999 then the folder name is incremented one higher.

ugh... FireFox seems to dislike the quotes coding in this forum. bizarre!

Quote:
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:01 PM   #68

Good luck, Debbie. Good shootin' and much happiness. You've earned it.

Tim
TLB39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:18 PM   #69

OT but thanks, Newsyl for confirming the counter question- Yes, it was started at 001 and no reset since then...

This issue was one of the items that I had hoped to impress on new owners of the FZ cameras - it does take an investment of time, a lot of photo attempts and patience with a new digi to reallyget the photos one wants straight out of the camera. If one is not happy with their initial results from the get-go, they need to understand that its probably not the camera but their lack of experience and technique.That's why its vital that someone starting out new with a 'sophisticated' system, its really important to post early and often on the forums to get help rather than wait until the frustration level is beyond repair...

I have to give Kudos to Debbie, again,for being frank and honest in recognizing that her FZ30 may have been too much for her level of time-investment available to learn and master it. There are others that are more prone to quicklyflame, bash and blame the camera as being the problem.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:46 PM   #70

Debbie:

I have not tried the FZ30 so I can't comment on it. I have been using the FZ20 for about 15 months and have learned much about photography by using it. I hope you will find it to be as good a learning tool as I have. When I started using it I stuck mostly with P and Scene modes. Now, I use aperture priority most of the time and am slowly becoming more comfortable with fully manual focus.

One thing that has helped me is to check what settings the camera selects in the automatic modes and think about how those settings affect the photos. You can set the camera to display this when you are shooting. Next, play around with aperture and shutter priorities to see how these changes affect the photos. You will end up with a dozen photos of the same subject, but you'll also get a better idea of how the variations work. I still use this method if I'm trying to decide what effects I want. Digital memory is wonderful - I can take lots of photos at different settings and decide later what works for me.

I'm sorry you've been frustrated with the FZ30. I hope your FZ20 experience is more fulfilling.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote