Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 24, 2006, 6:39 AM   #71

Hi,

I was browsing these forums and decided to join so I could post on this topic.

About a month ago I bought a FZ30 and have been generally happy with it.I knew about the noise issue in advance and it's not been much of a problem. Even in a low lit aquariumwith a slower shutter and a steady hand I have been able to capture nice images without using the flash.

I do feel that some of my pictures are not as sharp as they could be and I was wondering if it was 'user error' since a lot of people tend to complement the lens on it's sharpness.

I will try the suggestions posted in particular the ones posted by genece.

By the by - I took a picture of a snowy field - sent it in to my regional TV news station and the picture was shown on the telly - I'd only had the camera a week!

Dave
dbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:20 AM   #72

I recommend using the Manual option as soon as you can guys..

Nothing wrong w. following the light meter and setting the settings yourself.
Youre give more control off the bat as well.

And don't be afraid to use the Manual focus button. You can't trust the Auto-Focus for everything.

God. I can't wait for my FZ30. I hate the stupid manual focus BUTTON in my A80.
And I hate always having to use AF. It seems that the camera is doing all the work.
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:30 AM   #73

Debbie, I've bought my FZ30 3 weeks ago andhad the same problems asyou do. Soft and poor quality images. The problem it was not with the camera, it was with me. Since then I've learned to hold the camera steady, prefocus by pressing the button half way down and voila! beautiful pictures.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:42 AM   #74

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
Debbie, I've bought my FZ30 3 weeks ago andhad the same problems asyou do. Soft and poor quality images. The problem it was not with the camera, it was with me. Since then I've learned to hold the camera steady, prefocus by pressing the button half way down and voila! beautiful pictures.
I'm so glad you you are happy with the camera! I'm thrilled for all of you who are. It wasn't a good fit for me. I sent it to my friend in another statewho in turnsent me his pristine FZ20 and two Olympus lensesfor it. I'm having a ball with it. It has the familiar fit of the FZ10 I previously had. Because I did have the experience of the FZ30, I feel much more comfortable with playing with the settings. I don't regret the experience and Idon't regret "changing my mind". The pressure is off and I'm having fun with my hobby again.

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:05 AM   #75

Awesome, I was looking at the FZ20 at Henri's while in Toronto and its only $500 instead of the $900 for the FZ30, I'm glad you are happy taking photos again. Just wondering how far the lens on the FZ20 extends. Just wondering about the battery pack, how long does it last? I have AA batteries with my Canon S1IS and would rather have that option, is there a battery pack that i could use my AA's?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:36 AM   #76

There is no one camera for everyone....A fellow has been communicating with me Via Email for a couple days.....He may be in this thread as I do not know his username...

But over a few emails I have discovered he has been in Photography a long time and knows much more about it than I ever will.

Now the punch line ..he has a FZ1 ,FZ20 and a FZ30 and he does not like the photos he is getting from the FZ30...he sent me some samples and IMHO the FZ30 photos are better than the FZ20 photos he sent, but he likes to view them at 100% and does not feel that way at all...

So its different cameras for different people.

And its made me aware thatwhat I consider a great quality photo, someone else may not like at all.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:30 PM   #77

You can give yourselves a collective pat on the back. This has been a great read for me, good opinions and fresh outlooks, well done, all.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:00 PM   #78

Remember this golden oldie?? I started this daunting thread and thought I would follow up.

Short answer, of course - USER ERROR. However, I had developed such a horrible attitude toward the camera that I literally shipped it off to my friend in another state for three long months. During that time I spent a month being glad it was no where near me, then the rest of the time learning the language of the digital menu system with the help of my friend. Reading a manual is one thing, stepping through all those focusing andmetering options with someone at your side is quite another. I'm not usually the dumbest rock in the box, but my attitude got in the way of my ability to apply effort. I refer to it fondly as "the boat anchor".

It's home now and guess what? I love it. I have grasp it. I'm getting the awed and amazed shots I had expected in the beginning. I have notrun into any difficulty picking "settings" that meet my visuals.

You all were so wonderful when I was on my psycho rant and could see more clearly than I, that I wasn't working hard enough to try and understand. I didn't just get it back yesterday. I've been out on some very long shoots about five times since it returned home. I learned. And the camera is wonderful. I'm so thrilled to have come to this place and freely admit it was never the camera - always I was my worse enemy. My deepest appreciation to everyone who supports this board and made their best effort to support me.

Debbie

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:52 PM   #79

And so, we are so patiently waiting to see some photos, Debbie. No way you could do worse than I have and still do.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:55 PM   #80

I've never posted a shot before, and I'm sure you do fine! I'll give it a try. If there is a big blank nothing, you'll know I didn't do it correctly - LOL

Debbie
Attached Images