Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:29 AM   #81

Very nice flower, what kind is it? Looks like you are doing well with the FZ.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:10 AM   #82

It's a daylilly Bayourebel. They come in a big varietyof colours.

I see you've done well withyour cameraDebbie. Now that you've changed your mind, I'm sure you're having fun as much as I do with my FZ30.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:33 AM   #83

The best of all endings to an odyssey that's both unsual in its duration, twists and turns and familiar in its beginings.

TLB39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:29 PM   #84

I think as Capellahas said, what keeps me, and I think others who are mere amateurs, is how friendly everybody is and encouraging. I know I will never shot the wonderful photos most people have here and they surely are leagues above me, but it is the support and encouragement of the others and the suggestions that they make to try different ways. Sometimes they work, sometimes I forget, but it is still nice to have as a reference. And to enjoy the fantastic photos that others do take and to have the opportunity to see them. And those that also take the time to even explain basic terminologies that some of those don't know. These are the people I respect here and want to THANK so much!!!:|
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:55 PM   #85

I was embarrassed to read this thread again, but knew I had to. And then felt like I really had to admit I was wrong and share the unexpected ending- which is really a new beginning for me. I'm having a ball with the camera. Now I'll let this tread go to thedead thread abyss by posting some shot or another here soon.

Annie, I have to agree totally with you. If you are going to stumble all over yourself, this is sure a warm, supportive community to do in.

Debbie

Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:57 PM   #86

Hi Capella,

I just want to say how much I appreciate this very valuable thread that you started. I say this because I thought I was totally alone in my inability to get a decent picture without post processing the heck out of it. I didn't have the nerve to post as you did (thank you) in a forum that sung the praises of the very camera I had such difficulty with. I so wanted my camera to be what everyone was saying it was.

When I read your first posting I thought I had a twin out there somewhere. I purchased an FZ30 in Feb of '06 and after using it for a few weeks, came to the same exact conclusions you did. All the way to the point of thinking I'd made a very expensive mistake. I had all the same concerns that you mentioned and had the same reaction you discribed wondering if I could get my money back, wondering if I'd gotten a faulty camera etc.including the factor of human error.

I read all the way through your thread to today's most recent post. True to the irony of our similarity, I too had continued to experiment and try the suggestions of people more experienced with this camera. To sum up my experience, Iwent from beingready to find another camera to being so glad I hung in there long enough to find out what a fabulous camera the FZ30 really is. I have been learning a tremendous amount (on this very forum) about how to use my camera and all of it's capabilities and am now beginning to see great results most of the time rather than a couple of times. It has been so rewarding and I can truly say I love my FZ30and do not regret having purchased such apowerful camera. I'm growing a little more into it's capabilities each time I go out for a photo shoot and happily join the ranks of those who sing the praises of the FZ30!

I am so happy you hung in there with this thread (I've learned alot) and I no longer feel I'm crazy or alone for experiencing all the frustration while others experienced wonderment. I felt your pain and disappointment as I related to your plight. Now I share your triumph and excitement as you persue your hobby with new hope and anticipation to capture photos in a way you never thought possible.

Good luck and I can't wait to see your photos taken with your new FZ30.

Thank you again for such a valuable thread!

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:29 PM   #87

Teree,

I can't tell you how touched I am by your story. It's nice to know there is someone else out there that actually really understands what it feels like, to have felt like that. Your note means so much to me.

I know my expectations were too high. I had used my FZ10 like a point and shoot. Set the ISO on 80, put it in the program mode and shot right out of the box. I was thunderstruck when I couldn't do the same thing with the FZ30.

Oh well, today is another day and it sounds like we both made it through it - both did the learning we needed to do and are both happy campers now. I do sometimes feel like the underdog conquering army I look at the cam and say "I win!"

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:56 PM   #88

I turned in my FZ10 (to my daughter) for the FZ30; so I have many opportunities to compare the two cameras taking the same or similar shots, at the same time and under the same conditions.

If you are dissatisfied with the FZ30, either it is defective or you are doing something wrong. CHECK CHECK CHECK then take it back! It is a much superior package to the FZ10 - but when the FZ50 is released, my daughter will score the FZ30 :-)
madgicsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:37 PM   #89

A story with a happy ending. Good stuff.
Debbie, I hope you continue to learn about and enjoy the FZ30 for a long time to come. This thread sure was interesting reading.

I think that for a lot of folks the process of learning how to use a camera like the FZ30 is all the more painful due to a lack of background knowledge in photography in general.
The basic principles of photography apply irrespective of which camera is used.

To have any hope of consistent results those of us who started out years ago with manual 35mm SLRs had no option other than to gain an understanding of things like f. stops and depth of field, etc.

Anyone aspiring to get the best from a camera should invest some time in learning those basic principles as they apply - these days to digital.

cheers,

Max

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:21 AM   #90

Onya Max!! A camera can only make photographs, NOT photographers.
madgicsh is offline   Reply With Quote