Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:34 AM   #11
rat

well how bout the release date. i heard that the FZs are usually released in July.

if this is the case, how come we have not at least heard the announcement of a new model yet?

any thoughts?
rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:02 PM   #12

Agree that Panny will announce an FZ40 end July. Going by the user forums:

The FZ30 occupies leading market position in its class based on great Leica lense, O.I.S., wide focal range, slick user interface, fast processing ... but it loses big time on sensor noise.

As one major competitor, Fuji S9000 wins on lower noise - with the larger 1/1.6" Super CCD - but loses on lack of IS, unfriendly user interface, smaller focal range, poor LCD articulation. When it announces its new model end July, Fuji may well introduce IS (using the needed lense redesign to increase focal range), streamline its user interface and improve LCD articulation - thus neutralising much of the FZ30's competitve advantage.

Other competitors can also be expected to announce product improvements.

To stay ahead, Pannywill deal with the noise issue - probably by going to a 2/3" sensor (as has been suggested in this thread) to yield agood ISO 400, usable 800 and marginal 1600 (like Fuji). Although camera size would have to increase to accommodate larger sensor & lense, it could likely still fit within a 4" x 6" x 6" footprint (still no bigger than an entry-level DSLR). The result would be a really killer camerato be announced about 20th July - which I will eagerly buy when it becomes available in September!

It's fun to speculate!
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:06 PM   #13
rat

any links to where you found this info?

WindRowe wrote:
Quote:
To stay ahead, Pannywill deal with the noise issue - probably by going to a 2/3" sensor (as has been suggested in this thread) to yield agood ISO 400, usable 800 and marginal 1600 (like Fuji). Although camera size would have to increase to accommodate larger sensor & lense, it could likely still fit within a 4" x 6" x 6" footprint (still no bigger than an entry-level DSLR). The result would be a really killer camerato be announced about 20th July - which I will eagerly buy when it becomes available in September!

It's fun to speculate!
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:20 PM   #14

Pana's new product release cycle is twice a year - the FZ3/5/7 announced in Feb of each year and the FZ1/10/15/20/30 in July/August. Usually there's been no new info on the cam right up till release although with the 30 the cam's design was "accidentally" published in a South American paper by Pana a couple of weeks before.

Regards sensor size, the only way we'd get better noise levels even with a 2/3 CCD is for Pana to keep it to say 6-7MP and coupled to a larger newer lens. The only real issue with the 2/3 sensor is that Pana don;t manufacture one and the 2/3CCD used in the LC1/D2 is assumed to have been sourced from Sony.

HarjTT

:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:53 PM   #15
rat

another question,

do you guys think it would be wise to gamble and wait and see IF they release the FZ40 in JULY or do you think i should dive right in and purchase the 30. I am trying to avoid kicking myself in the head 3 months down the line saying that i should have waited for the 40...

also, about what price range do the new FZs usually start at?

i know this is all speculation...but it never hurts to ask for opinions....

Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:50 AM   #16

I think we've all been in this situation:roll: the only advice I can give is when do you want the camera? now or in 3 months time?, no matter what or when you buy there will always be something "better" in 3 to 6 months time:-) In my case I jumped from a 5mp Minolta 7Hi "backwards" to a 2mp FZ1/2which cost me about 1/5th of the price of the Minolta but gave much better images, then when I needed to makelarger prints I bought a Fuji S9000 which here in the UK was a lot cheaper than the FZ30, big mistake!, lot's of problems with soft images and colour balance.

Now I'm using both the FZ30 and the FZ1/2, I could have waited until the FZ?? comes out but the FZ30 does what I want now. No doubt when the FZ?? comes out I'll take a long hard look at it butfor nowI'm more than happy with the FZ30 :-)
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:40 AM   #17
rat

very true...thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:41 PM   #18

Another thought. As others have said, if sales are good and appear to be able to hold up a bit longer, Panny may be trying to 'skip' a cycle while working on providing more in the next upgrade. It would make sense, especially if this involves putting a larger sensor into it. I'm betting they hold things 'tight' while keeping a close eye on FZ sales and 'holding' an upgrade 'announcement' in the wings if needed.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:29 AM   #19

As a former owner of the FZ30, one thing for me is sure: Panny MUST adress the noise issue in their ultra zoom flagship. It is unacceptable to have such poor results in low/medium light. Other than that, the FZ30 was a dream but I just couldn't bare getting the grainy pictures I got, even at ISO100 or ISO80. The FZ30 is absolutely superb in good light but otherwise awful. So I dumped it and got myself a Nikon D50. If I were to get a P&S now I'd go Fuji all the way because of their superCCD sensors which are damn right amazing.
Looking back, the only worthy digicam in terms of noise that came from Panny was the LC1, which was great in terms of image quality, specs and design. Unfortunately a bit expensive and thus very rare.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:46 PM   #20

Do you know who made the 8 megapixel 2/3" CCD in the Olympus C8080?┬* dpreview gave it high marks re: noise and I wonder if an updated version this sensor is now available to Panasonic for a potential FZ40?┬*Guess┬*we'll┬*have┬*to┬*wait┬*'til┬*end┬*Ju ly┬*to┬*find┬*out!HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Pana's new product release cycle is twice a year -┬* the FZ3/5/7 announced in Feb of each year and the FZ1/10/15/20/30┬* in┬* July/August. Usually there's been no new info on the cam right up till release although with the 30 the┬* cam's design was┬* "accidentally"┬* published in a South American paper by Pana a couple of weeks before.

┬*Regards sensor size, the only way we'd get better noise levels even with a┬* 2/3 CCD is for Pana to keep it to say 6-7MP and coupled to a larger newer lens. The only real issue with the 2/3 sensor is that Pana don;t manufacture one and the 2/3CCD used in the LC1/D2 is assumed to have been sourced from Sony┬*┬*HarjTT
Quote:

:?
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote