Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:25 PM   #1

Quote from 'Panasonic Bob':

"Having just returned from the PMA show, Panasonic showed all our 2006 models including the new DMC-L1 DSLR scheduled for later this year. If a replacemnet for the FZ30 was scheduled for 2006 we would have announced it. At this time there are no plans for a replacement despite all the speculation."

I posted the question to 'Panasonic Bob' "Is there going to be a FZ40?"

Stan

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:25 PM   #2

WOW now thats an eye opener...:? :O talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Hopefully, it'll turn out to be incorrect as I'd really want to see an FZ40 before making a move to an L1/L1 lite or any other cam.

Harj

:roll:

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:33 PM   #3

that does sound surprising. No doubt, the 30 is a "bridge" camera between point-n-shoots and DSLR's. But what that tells me (if it's true) is that they will have the high-end with the L1 and then their compact models and the FZ7 as their go-between.

Seems that they are counting on a lot of adoption for the L1 which is pretty risky given how popular the 10/20/30's have been.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:52 PM   #4

I think the problem that the manufacturers have with the high end prosumers is the price point between them and the entry level DSLRS. If the SLRs were still around the $800-1000 price range then we would be seeing a FZ40 without fail and even the likes of Nikon replacing the aging 8800.

Cheers

Harj

:-)
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:01 PM   #5

I find it astounding that you know this already, July is the normal announcement schedule for the FZ XX line, with delivery usually in early Sept.

Especially since Panny is now the "monster of the midway" when it comes to Ultra Zooms. I don't believe they will walk away from the position they currently own.

I'm betting that your info is Wrong, big time.

LarryB

Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:51 AM   #6

Larry Bradford wrote:
Quote:

I find it astounding that you know this already, July is the normal announcement schedule for the FZ XX line, with delivery usually in early Sept.

Especially since Panny is now the "monster of the midway" when it comes to Ultra Zooms. I don't believe they will walk away from the position they currently own.

I'm betting that your info is Wrong, big time.

LarryB

I bought my FZ 30 in early August last year. (one of the first!)
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:03 PM   #7

i'd been thinking about waiting for the FZ40 as an upgrade from my FZ20 (which still takes great photos, as we all know!), but recently pre-ordered a Canon 30D. sounds like i made the right choice...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:38 AM   #8
rat

sorry to bring back to life an old thread, but i cant help but wonder. i am about to unload some cash on the fz30. if there is a possiblity of the fz40 relitively soon then i would rather wait. any thoughts?

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Quote from 'Panasonic Bob':

"Having just returned from the PMA show, Panasonic showed all our 2006 models including the new DMC-L1 DSLR scheduled for later this year. If a replacemnet for the FZ30 was scheduled for 2006 we would have announced it. At this time there are no plans for a replacement despite all the speculation."

I posted the question to 'Panasonic Bob' "Is there going to be a FZ40?"

Stan
rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:50 AM   #9

I've been thinking the same question lately and am of the opinion that there will be an FZ40 as well as the L1. They're two different beasts and Pana should know this - the FZ's have made the company a name for producing the best UZ's in the market and I doubt that they would be willing to let that go. Now personally I'm hoping that when the FZ40 is introduced its more than a few minor changes to the FZ30 - although the 30 has so many things spot on esp the ergonomics - I think we'll be seeing the Venus III engine at least and fingers crossed a new larger 2/3 + sensor . The FZ7 is too underspec'd to be the 30's replacment and the L1 is for those that want to move up to a DSLR and still want the panaleica look to their images. So there is definetely a place for an FZ40. I'm waiting to see what the FZ40 brings to the table and then will decide on whether to purchase one or go for a DSLR esp Pana's L1 if its priced reasonably with the kit lens.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:12 AM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I've been thinking the same question lately and am of the opinion that there will be an FZ40 as well as the L1. They're two different beasts and Pana should know this - the FZ's have made the company a name for producing the best UZ's in the market and I doubt that they would be willing to let that go. Now personally I'm hoping that when the FZ40 is introduced its more than a few minor changes to the FZ30 - although the 30 has so many things spot on esp the ergonomics - I think we'll be seeing the Venus III engine at least and fingers crossed a new larger 2/3 + sensor . The FZ7 is too underspec'd to be the 30's replacment and the L1 is for those that want to move up to a DSLR and still want the panaleica look to their images. So there is definetely a place for an FZ40. I'm waiting to see what the FZ40 brings to the table and then will decide on whether to purchase one or go for a DSLR esp Pana's L1 if its priced reasonably with the kit lens.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
I don't see the FZ7 as a replacement to the FZ30 either. I would love to see an FZ40, despite the fact that I bought an FZ30 two weeks ago. Having said that,I don't think we will see an FZ40 this year. They are probably doing well with their existing product line and are not ready to interfere with their current life cycle. I would also love to see a lower priced DSLR from them, but I'm sure they are going to sit back and watch the reaction to the DMC-L1before expanding the DSLR line.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote