Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:58 PM   #1

I spent the day wondering if I was really more of an FZ10 or FZ7 or something person, but I went out into the world again after work and look! OK,my happy factor is increasing every time I shoot now. I'm sorry I don't know how to embed the exif info in the shots nor have I found one that will let me copy/paste. Sosome info is in the descriptions.

I did nothing to these photos. No crop, no touch-ups. Just resized. Remember, the goal was to test the camera out-of-the box, using the settings provided in the "I hate my FZ30" thread"

Debbie

http://community.webshots.com/album/548275831CoIdPZ

Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:33 PM   #2

hi Debbie,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"don't know if it'll help, but i've found that using either spot focus (for things like that shot of the nest in the branches) or the single-area focus modes work best with my FZ20. with the wider 3-area or 9-area modes, the camera may focus on any or all of the focal areas, not necessarily the specific portion of the scene you want to focus on. that may be fine for landscapes or the like, but if you're trying to get a single subject clearly in focus, that may not be the best way to do it.

i use spot focus for those times when i want to zero in on a subject against a "busy" background, or with other objects closer to me, like when i'm trying to shoot a bird among branches. for most everything else, i use the one-area focus mode.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:38 PM   #3

Squirl,

Actually, I have tried this shot several times now. Once was in the spot mode. It did a great job of capturing the nest, however left a lot of overall blur. I understand that is often desirable, but in this case I'm trying to work on sharpness throughout. The three area AF has picked it up better than single or multi so far.

I know it may sound backward, but I'm trying to get a handle on the settings I need for lots of sharpness (most of the time), then play with the creative side of things.

Debbie
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:55 PM   #4

Debbie,

I believe that if you post photos from a website album, the exif info disappears. If you post directly from your processing program e.g. Photoshop etc, the exif info is shown...Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:24 AM   #5

For that nest shot.....that is one type shot I would use MF.

Now since you see you can get good photos is the time to move to Program mode if you arre on that Red A thing and try a few of the settings I recommended ...my settings may not work for you but you will find some that will work great for you and I really doubt those Multi-point focusing things will be it.

As for posting the photos with the exif I do not think that site will let you do that...but another thing that strips exif is the "Save for web" option use save as instead.

For a program that lets you copy and paste the exif try Irfanview...it makes that simple as it has a copy to clipboard button. Besides if you get all the plugins it is a pretty good photoeditor.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6

Genece,

I have your settings list printed and have loaded the camera with them! I think it's most of the reason I'm feeling better about the shots. I'm not using the auto mode. I'm using P.

I'm still at struggling with the question: did I over buy when I bought this camera?? I will check out your link as soon as I get home. Thank you!!

Debbie
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:06 PM   #7

I do not think you overbought......it takes some time to get use to some settings ....Just change one setting and take photos for a day or so.....then change another...do not force the camera its pretty smart....once you see how good the photos can be you can start with more manual settings but I very seldom do that...I think the camera is smarter than me.

I think you have posted some very nice photos ...you really need to see how just changing where on the frame you meter can change the whole photo.

Once you find some settings you like its very easy.....My wife only touches 3 things and she takes very nice photos ..sometimes better than me and I hate that.

She only uses the on/off and the shutter button and the zoom , she does not touch anything else, she just picks up the camera ,turns it on and takes pictures.

You will just find some things that work better for you than other settings.....I can not use that C AF and I had one day in Yellowstone That all my photos were a little out of focus because that had gotten turned on somehow ,the photos were not a disaster but they could have been better.4 different bears and not a one was real sharp.

Check you photos after each setting change and see if something is helping or hindering.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote