Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:14 AM   #1

Good morning,

Why on FZ30 you cannot use f28 with a shutter speed smaller than 1/1000
(shutter speed 1/2000 can be used only from f8 to f11).

Thank in advance
Christian

christian71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:19 AM   #2

i actually have no idea why but im gona take a shot at it from a logical perspective.

i think bcse at wide fstop f2.8 the ap is larger opening to close ofcourse needing a faster speed to cover a larger area. ofcourse at narrow fstop (f11) the opening is smaller meaning the smaller opening can open and close much faster as it is a smaller area to reveal and hide again.

this is just my thoughts, dont no for sure

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:50 AM   #3

No offense you you, ken, but I think your answer seems a bit hard to understand.

First of all, the aperture is how wide the blades open for the photo. Aperture numbers are backwards, i.e., a smaller number means a wider opening. So f/8 is a much smaller opening than f2.8. I think 1ms is the minimum amount of time required to move the blades all the way out to f/2.8 and back. In order to offer the .5ms shutter speed, the blades can only open to f/8 before having to return.

Now, when is there *ever* enough light for f/8 at 1/2000? Maybe for a photo of the sun?
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the answers.

I was on the snow in a very sunny day, and since is my first camera that allow manual control, I would like to play with the field depth. so I set the zoom at 200 and f2.8 to restrict the field depth at the minimum, but 1/1000 , and the photo was over exposure, so I close to f8 (now exactly I can't remember if f8 or more) .

Thanks

bye

Christian

christian71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 2:32 PM   #5

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the FZ30. I've noticed that it seems to have both "automatic" and "P" modes. Can anyone explain the difference to me? On my FZ20, the "P" mode is pretty much the automatic point-&-shoot setting. Is it different on the FZ30?
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:35 PM   #6

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the FZ30. I've noticed that it seems to have both "automatic" and "P" modes. Can anyone explain the difference to me? On my FZ20, the "P" mode is pretty much the automatic point-&-shoot setting. Is it different on the FZ30?

jst real quick the auto mode is a very basic point and shoot systm. on fz30 auo mode controls isolevel, shutter and fstop to give you a correctly exposed image. auto mode wil usualy chose safe fstops and higer isos (if needed) to providea decent depth of field and decent shutter speed to make a general photo come out.

P mode is much more defined. The user wil nominated an iso level. then when the cam is half pressed the cam will present the user with multiple options presenting equivalent exposure. so what i mean is when u adjust the rear dial it will show u combinations of fstop ad shutter that will present you with the same exposure.

so for example if you wanted to take a cool shot of a person with a shallow depth of field in p mode. you would half press and let the cam meter and focus the situation. once it is done you will adjust the dial to show you the combination wit the wides fstop (2.8) and the cam will have the proposed shutter speed to achieve correct exposure.

so basically auto mode is just picking up the cam and shoointg. the cam wil nominate safe values to deliver a basic image.

P mode gives the power back to u as the cam will generate combinations and give you the choice to choose from them depending on the photo tking situation if you wanted hi shuter, shalow dof etc etc. Also p mode allows u more versatility in reference to adjusting white balance and exposure compensation.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:36 PM   #7

ignavia wrote:
Quote:
No offense you you, ken, but I think your answer seems a bit hard to understand.

LOL, none taken herre

im jst surprised how close i was to the actual answer. i jjust made all that up just thinking about how i think the cam works. thanks for clarifying

cheers

ken

Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:12 PM   #8

"You can also see why digicams (typically using 1/1.8" or 1/1.5" sensors) don't let you stop down past around f8. For an 8x10 print from them, you really don't want to stop down past about f4 or f5. For smaller prints f8 will be OK, but the camera makers don't let you stop down to f16 or f22 because the results would be pretty bad.

Optimum Apeture
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ffraction.html
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote