Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:56 PM   #1

Ok, I just got my FZ30 about a week ago and I've been playing around with it some. I've owned several other digicams, all smaller point and shoot "pocket" cameras but nothing assemi-complex and awesome (I'm having a GREAT time with this camera by the way :-)) as the FZ30. Anyway, I'm sure it's the sensor but is it normal for a camera such as mine to emit a noise like a low-pitched whirring sound when youre really close to it? You have to either put your ear up to it or the room hs to be silent. Almost sounds like a geiger counter or an old radio being tuned in. As I said, I'm sure it's probably a normal thing for the sensor in these types of cameras, but as Kramer would say, "It's really freakin' me out, man..."
adamjs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:06 PM   #2

Put the IMage stabilizer on mode 2 and turn off continuous auto focus....

any quieter?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:20 PM   #3

Image stabilizer turned off cut the noise in half. Pretty silent now but does anyone elses camera make the same noise? (the "whirring" sound inside the camera body) I just want to know that it is actually the norm and that nothings wrong with it. Awesome unit otherwise.Im guessing it's the sensor and that they all make a little noise.CAF turned off didn't do much if anything.
adamjs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:08 PM   #4

It's normal, I thought something was wrong but I checked my FZ-15 and it does the same thing.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:41 PM   #5

Put the IS on mode 2 and turn off C. AF and it should get quiet and if your like me you will get better photos as a side benifit.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:42 PM   #6

The same sound on my FZ20 (IS off, no CAF). As I know from other forums members (If I remember squirl told me) this sound is from some fan the cools the inner of the camera. I am not sure that it is from it but it exist in prety much FZ owners so the sound must be normal.
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:32 PM   #7

Wait until you get to be my age. There's lots of annoying little sounds other people complain about, that I don't hear anymore. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether I hear'em or not, except for the fact that I get bothered a lot less. High fequency sounds don't register apparently because as we age our ears decide they've heard enough, and drop the high pitched sounds from their radar. Trust me, there are lots of folks around you that will tap you on the shoulder if they think there's a high pitched noise coming from somewhere, and they think you should know. Heh heh...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:28 AM   #8

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Wait until you get to be my age. There's lots of annoying little sounds other people complain about, that I don't hear anymore. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether I hear'em or not, except for the fact that I get bothered a lot less. High fequency sounds don't register apparently because as we age our ears decide they've heard enough, and drop the high pitched sounds from their radar. Trust me, there are lots of folks around you that will tap you on the shoulder if they think there's a high pitched noise coming from somewhere, and they think you should know. Heh heh...

Kd

I'll say...ain't that the truth.

My hearing has gotten so bad that I can't hardly hear the pitch of my wife's voice anymore. She calls it "selective hearing".

I did hear something from my FZ20 but the room was dead quiet and I had to put a funnel in my ear to hear it.

Rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:00 PM   #9

adamjs69 wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I just got my FZ30 about a week ago and I've been playing around with it some. I've owned several other digicams, all smaller point and shoot "pocket" cameras but nothing assemi-complex and awesome (I'm having a GREAT time with this camera by the way :-)) as the FZ30. Anyway, I'm sure it's the sensor but is it normal for a camera such as mine to emit a noise like a low-pitched whirring sound when youre really close to it? You have to either put your ear up to it or the room hs to be silent. Almost sounds like a geiger counter or an old radio being tuned in. As I said, I'm sure it's probably a normal thing for the sensor in these types of cameras, but as Kramer would say, "It's really freakin' me out, man..."
You should hear the voices inside my head... they keep whispering.... buy the FZ30... buy theFZ30.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote