Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:28 PM   #1

Here are three different types of shots which I like to take . . .

Attached Images

Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:32 PM   #2

Forgot how to post, LOL!

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:34 PM   #3

And a third . . .
Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:19 PM   #4

Hi....

all 3 are nice shots...I like no 1 the best:G
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:25 PM   #5

Nice variety, Three shots, each requiring different technique.

Well captured. Thanks for sharing.

Max

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:34 AM   #6
ViS

I hope you don't mind, I took your waterfall pic and adjusted the contrast a little.

Attached Images

ViS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:14 AM   #7

Wow! I don't mind at all - that's excellent, you really made it pop. I just have to wrap my mind around the post processing stuff - haven't done much of that yet.

Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:51 PM   #8

Kayceespix wrote:
Quote:
Wow! I don't mind at all - that's excellent, you really made it pop. I just have to wrap my mind around the post processing stuff - haven't done much of that yet.

Kaycee-

Nice shots! You did great on the first one -- especially if you didn't do any post processing! As ViS showed on the waterfall, a pretty good photo to start with can really be given a good 'pop' with minimal PP...

That's been the hardest thing for me - to be more judgemental on my photos and recognize that getting the camera settings close to right on at the time of the shutter click is one of the largest parts of the battle! And I've also learned that this can only be achieved by a lot of experience in using the camera, learning from my mistakes and accumulating the experience until they are starting to become second nature when actually shooting.

I like to always suggest that one go back to the first few photos one took with their camera out of the box and compare them to the latest 'good' ones. Its amazing and encouraging when one can see their own improvement progression!

As to PP, if you haven't already, try down loading the Picasa2 program. Its free, is a good photo-folder organizer and has a pretty good basic set of easy-to-use editingtweaks that are readily seen as one is making any adjustments.I usually use it first to adjust the lighting, contrast, color saturation etc for that initial, extra 'pop'. Once I've tweaked a photo in Picasa, I then make a decision if its worth keeping the photo for later, more seriousPP'ing in PSE4 or, if not, hit the delete button...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:16 PM   #9

Hi Telecorder! Thanks bunches for your comments! I read your comments on the other thread as well, and as I said there earlier, it's very helpful to realize that I'm not alone, hehehe - I guess it's just true that misery loves company!

At any rate, as I say, I do very little post processing at this time - the surf shot was only cropped a bit - and all three pix were handheld (on OIS mode 2) - so at least I know that I can shoot fairly steadily without a tripod. (My first efforts I actually used a monopod - so I was really disgusted when they were so oof, LOL - but I think I had metering all wrong, and had inadvertently set digital zoom rather than EZ.) I've since played with EZ but have determined I'd rather shoot at 8MP and then crop.

I'll have to look into Picasa - I actually have PS CS, and have played with it a bit but am not very good - it's just got so much. Just bought a photographers' guide to CS - but as I'm a bit of a geek as well I'm also playing with adding Linux to my computer and just got new cell phones as well, so I think I'm currently on technological overload which may be why I was so stressed last week! (and in my spare time, I homeschool my daughters, hehehe - though truth be told it's really the other way 'round).
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:41 PM   #10

Kaycee-

Unfortunately, I know about techie overload, as well. Plus with your scheduled demands that you alluded to, its a wonder that you even have time to snap and post any photos!

Do try the Picasa2 software. I've had PSE4 for about 4-5 weeks and it, too, is overwhelming. I can appreciate how CS can be, as well. Most all of the newer image editing software has the amazing power to create amazing images but at a cost of being extremely complex to achieve once one gets past the basic image tweaks. One thing that I hope to eventually do more of, is to take some of my so-so or almost great photo attempts and play with the power of the PSE4 for resurrecting them into a pretty good effort (As Fmoore et al have done with converting images into oil paintings, chalks/pastels etc - This has the potential to hide a lot of the photos' minor faults and still leave the great essence of what the photo could have been... Just need that most precious of things -- more quality time!)

As I indicated, I've fast come to the conclusion that the quality of the photos out of the camera are directly related to my then-current level of my experience with the camera. Likewise, that the need for, and amount of post processing a photo needs, is in direct proportion to the quality of the original photo down loaded (Likewise, the enjoyment and satisfaction of seeing just how little time and effort in post processing can really add that needed 'zing, pop, crackle! - If I can't get much improvement with the Picasa2 editing, its probably low on my priority list to try it in PSE4 and, therefore, likely to see the big Delete button...)

That's why I really like the Picasa2 software - its easy and fast to organize/scroll/scan through the photo albums; easy to open any image at reduced (with some of the EXIF info shown), full or zoomed size; has intuitive and easy basic processing/image tweakingmenus (mostly w/ either 'Auto-whatever or slider bar adajustments for the basic tweaks); it gives an instant preview of what the tweak is doing to the photo that is easily undone, if not right; Does not change the original photo file unless one hits 'save-as' and then it saves the edited file under the file name with an added number appended to the file name (this allows one to open the original file in another photo editor without the Picasa2 edits being in place -- the Picasa2 edits are only seen when you open it in Picasa2...)

About the only thing I don't like aboutPicasa2 is that it doesn't have any way to resize and save the photo atthe lower size - say for posting beyond straight cropping. For this, I just down loaded the Windows XP Power Toy Resizer that Genece had posted about a while back (Its just a pain to load PSE4 and wait forever for it to finally be ready...)

At any rate, I'm glad that you're realistic about recognizing that your success with the photo quality is much more related to the amount of available time to invest in learning how to use it than it is due to anything that has to do with the camera!

Keep snapping, posting and asking for help and guidance! Along the way, I'm sure that you'll be posting some WOWIE photos now and then that other newbies will then be asking you - How'd you do that!

:-D
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote