Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:34 PM   #1

OK, which FZ30 takes better pictures.... black or silver? LOL Seriously, any opinion on which color looks sharper? I haven't seen one in person yet, but I think I am liking the black.

On a more important note, is this camera easy enough for someone like my wife who is more into point and shoot? I intend to be the primary user, but occasionally she might want to take a shot. I am considering buying her a pocket digital and not letting her touch the FZ30.

I would like to say that this is a great site I was almost all set to buya compact digital camera... Casio EX-Z750. One of the reasons I wanted it was that is had some manual controls. I held off a bit because there was some issue with the Casio with regard to damaging the lens if the zoom was operatedand something was to obstruct the lens. Sound a bit delicate and I was going to wait for the new Casio model which addressed this quirk. Thenew Casio would run just under 400 which is pretty high for apocket digital. Then I stumbled onto all the info about the FZ30 and it looks like I can get on for just under 500. Reading about this camera has got me excited about photography again. I used to be into taking great pictures with my old 35MM SLR Minolta. That was back in the late 70's. I ended up selling it because I needed the money back then and ended up replacing with a Minolta XG1. It was similar to my prior Minolta but to many automatic features. It didn't take pictures quite as well as my older Minolta and I lost interest in photography. Sometime in the nineties I convinced myself to get a pocket 35MM. It is Pentax point and shootcamera and I hate the quality of the pictures. In fact I don't really use it, my wife does. I'm hoping that the FZ30 and my knowledge of computers gets me back into photogaphy. Back in the day, I always wanted to get into developing my own pictures, but hated some of the hassles associated with developing pictures at home.

Sorry if I got long winded but I can't wait to check one out locally before I place an order online.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:26 AM   #2

Haven't you heard?! black is the new silver! haha! :G

Seriously though, the fz30 is a great camera, i've had some learning to do with it but it sounds like you'll know your way around it just fine! and my wife will never learn how to properly use it, but she still takes great pictures - i think it comes down to being a camera that you can make as easy or as hard to use as you want it to be! That being said, panasonic has a great, easy and intuitive menu system that feels right from the get-go, which lets you be able to learn how to take great photos, insteading of having to start with learning how to use the camera itself. i'm very happy with it, i just wish we had some nice weather here so i could get outside with it more!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:19 AM   #3

meanstreak, I think the FZ30 would be the perfect camera for you because I was in almost the same position you were in when I found the FZ20 (the FZ30 predesessor) and it did just that, made taking pictures fun again. So much so, I got the FZ30 not long after it came out and it just got more fun.

milrod is correct about the wife using it. I have the same problem she just wants to turn it on, point it and take a picture. I had to get in the habit of always setting things back to automatic before turning it off in the event she wanted to pick it up. Over time, she learned to switch the focus and exposure to auto and got very comfortable with it. It's not that she's not capable of shooting manual, she just doesn't want to fuss with it.

I have always favored the black models for some reason, but it's totally subjective and the color obviously makes no difference in image capture. But, some stores will have the silver model for several bucks less because it is in less demand, if the color doesn't matter to you and you can save a few bucks, go for silver.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4

IMHO, the black looks more "serious." The only SLR (AFAIK) that's available in silver is the Rebel XT. All the others are black.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:10 AM   #5

I think black looks better but I ordered my FZ10 in silver. I take it out in my boat often and black gets too hot in the Florida sun.

One problem with the silver in bright sunlight is that too much reflects back to your eye. I don't know whether it would be as much of a problem with the FZ30 as the viewfinder eyepiece looks to be better designed.

I ended up putting an eyecup on the viewfinder which completely eliminated the problem. I like it well enough I would put an eyepiece on a black model if I had one also.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:01 PM   #6

eddie_dane wrote:
Quote:
But, some stores will have the silver model for several bucks less because it is in less demand, if the color doesn't matter to you and you can save a few bucks, go for silver.

I looked it up though Nextag. com and Beach Camera and Buydig.com have the black for less than the silver. 484 in Black 496 in Silver. Not a huge enough difference to make me decide on color. Since I plan on Black I will save a few bucks. There is a dealer called Digital1234 that has the black for 466 but I'm not as confident dealing with them. I think I'm safer spending 18 dollars more and going with a more reputable dealer.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:04 PM   #7

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
Haven't you heard?! black is the new silver! haha! :G

i'm very happy with it, i just wish we had some nice weather here so i could get outside with it more!

I had heard that rumor about the black. I also heard that it was a chick magnet but don't tell my wife.

The weather is starting to get better here in NY, but it's only March. LOL
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:10 PM   #8

ignavia wrote:
Quote:
IMHO, the black looks more "serious." The only SLR (AFAIK) that's available in silver is the Rebel XT. All the others are black.

My old SLRs were black and silver. I agree the black does have a serious look. It is also less reflective. Something toconsider when taking pictures ofwildlife so as not to spook the subject. I know this is a consideration with hunters when choosing between silver or black pistols for hunting. Of course if there is anyreflection from the lens that can't be avoided. Speaking of guns... I'll bet the camera would look great in a grey gunmetal finish.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:12 PM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I think black looks better but I ordered my FZ10 in silver. I take it out in my boat often and black gets too hot in the Florida sun.

One problem with the silver in bright sunlight is that too much reflects back to your eye. I don't know whether it would be as much of a problem with the FZ30 as the viewfinder eyepiece looks to be better designed.

I ended up putting an eyecup on the viewfinder which completely eliminated the problem. I like it well enough I would put an eyepiece on a black model if I had one also.

Interesting points and they did cross my mind. Does the eye cup add anything except to eliminate reflection?

Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:21 PM   #10

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Interesting points and they did cross my mind. Does the eye cup add anything except to eliminate reflection?

You can see the EVF a lot better without transient light from outside. A lot of people have added eyecups to various cameras including FZs and were happy with the results.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote