Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:14 PM   #21

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Now Circuit City has low price sale on Fridays from 11AM to 4pm. I had a 12% off circular coupon and the Friday sale price.

Is this a newspaper circular with a code? I thought those 5 hours sales were Monday- Friday.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:40 AM   #22

sailboater1 wrote:
Quote:
Oh. Duh!
Ken, do you think I can take this camera on a trip and just shoot in auto til I learn, and still get decent travel pics?
Yes, definately. But R E A D the manual first. Not necessary to memorize it, but you'll be surprised at some common sense pointers in there, even for just point and shoot. You can do very well especially in sightseeing type situations, just doing the point and shoot. Very easy to gradually progress to aperture and shutter settings, or choose one of the scene settings. I've found they work well too.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:32 AM   #23

Thanks for reassurance. I called my son for advice and he said to go to a store and check out any camera you are interested in before you buy. He has a BFA in Photography and digital imaging from Ringling School of Art, and could not get a job in photography! Decided to try on his own. Did one wedding and one engagement party and has one wedding booked. Not too promising for earning a living as a photographer. He did win a state-wide contest in CT last spring when he moved there to be with girlfriend.

Anywazy, I digress. Tried the FZ30 and fell in love with it. Not big or heavy like some said. But nobody in town had one in stock to sell. This was a demo not for sale. I was able to see that I can just aim and shoot for now.

Re places where I saw the camera for about $450:

Wisetronics $409 + shipping
oneclickdigital $435 + shipping
zoommania $445 + 19
wa-wa digital - $429 + ship

I think one click is reputable. I have to check them out some more before I decide on them.
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:47 AM   #24

sailboater1 wrote:
Quote:
I think one click is reputable. I have to check them out some more before I decide on them.

read this about Onclick

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9679.html
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:58 AM   #25

Thank you so much! I read 37 reviews from another site, can't remember which one, but similar to pricehead.com, where they were the low price seller. They had a 5* rating and all 37 reviews were excellent!

Now maybe this camera is going to be out of my price range and I will have to start all over again to pick a camera.
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:07 AM   #26

sailboater1 wrote:
Quote:
Now maybe this camera is going to be out of my price range and I will have to start all over again to pick a camera.
I will probably buy from Beach Camera or Buydig. I am not ready to buy it yet and I'mhoping they go back down to 485 from the current 499.

Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:50 PM   #27

pdannett: "Let's hope there will be an FZ40 ....."

After your post, I felt it would be interesting to check the Canon, Fuji and Nikon forums in dpreview for opinions of the Fuji S9000 and the FZ30.

A prevalent view in the Canon forum seems to be that Canon dropped the ball with respect to the superzoom segment of the market and got displaced by Fuji and Panasonic.

If Canon is to recover its position, it will have to come out with a competitive product. Otherwise many Canon customers seem ready to jump ship into the Fuji or Panasonic camps.

If Panasonic is able to come up with a usable ISO400 and Fuji does not come up with IS, they will go Panasonic. If the other way round they will obviously go Fuji.

The same seems to hold true for those in the Fuji forum.

Was unable to access the Nikon forum with either S9000 or FZ30 keywords so cannot comment on the Nikon camp.

I came away with the impression there was a LOT of pressure on Fuji and Panasonic, from all over, to deal with their respective achilles heels. And neither can afford to let the other do so first ... or let Canon back in.

At the same time, there seems to be a minority view that Panasonic and Fuji will abandon the superzoom market altogether in favour of entry-level DSLR's. This gives credence to Panasonic Bob's contention that there are no plans to upgrade the FZ30. If so, the FZ line will, sadly, disappear. But this hardly seems likley in view of the considerableinvestment Panasonic mustmade in developing the product line.

These marketing issuessuggest to me that an FZ40 WILL be announced in July!!!
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:52 PM   #28

WindRowe wrote:
Quote:
pdannett: "Let's hope there will be an FZ40 ....."

After your post, I felt it would be interesting to check the Canon, Fuji and Nikon forums in dpreview for opinions of the Fuji S9000 and the FZ30.

These marketing issuessuggest to me that an FZ40 WILL be announced in July!!!
I trust you are right that the FZ[40] will be announced in July. I like my mega-zoom 30. Although Panashouldfix the low light problem. The entry level dSLR's are not what I really want. Don't like lots a lenses to carry nor the extra cost. Is there a mega-zoom dSLR coming out with IS at a reasonable cost.

StanStan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:22 PM   #29

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Don't like lots a lenses to carry nor the extra cost. Is there a mega-zoom dSLR coming out with IS at a reasonable cost.

StanStan
Kinoca Minolta's Maxxum 5D has Anti-Shake. I'm not sure about the rest of the product line. I believe it works by shifting theCCDmechanism to compensate for blurring caused by camera. I wish my old Minolta lenses were compatable with their new cameras as I have 3 of them. Drawback to KM is they are getting out of the business and shifting product to Sony so I don't know what to make of future product. As for Mega Zoom... I'm not sure what they offer in the way of lenses. I know that when I was in to SLR 35mm film, there were plenty of zooms available for SLR. I would think they is still the case, but they are probably expensive. I do recall that back in the day that it was preferable to have different lenses as opposed to a one size fits all zoom. I seem to recall that going with a zoom meant that optimum focus was only achievable within a certain range. I don't know if it is still true today since I am not familiar with current optics. Back then I did not mind carrying more than one lens, but today I'm not sure. Then there is the so called dust problem with the DSLR when changing lenses.

I'm just getting back into this myself and the more research I do, the more difficult it seems the choice becomes for me. I am almost at the point of getting a compact hi-end digicam somewhere in the 300s and waiting to buy the Panasonic DSLR. Reality is I will probably go for the FZ30 and if I really like the hobby trade up at some point by selling it on Ebay.

Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:09 PM   #30

FZ40 wish list.

Introduce new CCD or decrease MP on existing CCD to 6MP. The onboard noise correction software is killing detail.

Correct Focusing problems.

Reduces noise levels without the heavy handed software.

Reduce shutter lag with OIS II to .02 seconds

Keep noise at low levels in 80,100 and 200 ISO

Bring back the power zoom.

The FZ40 announcement should be in 5 months.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote