Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:41 AM   #1

If so when. I have a 20, passed on the 30 and am hoping for a 40 with a large CCD.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:37 AM   #2

I am sure there will be but I would not expect it to have a larger sensor.

And who knows when?

Seems that it will not be anytime soon....the FZ30 is already the best ultrazoom available.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:06 AM   #3

I am not sure if I posted this before but I asked "Panasonic Bob" when the FZ40 would be ready and received this reply:

"Sure, so as not to create any misunderstanding please use this:

"Having just returned from the PMA show, Panasonic showed all our 2006 models including the new DMC-L1 DSLR scheduled for later this year. If a replacemnet for the FZ30 was scheduled for 2006 we would have announced it. At this time there are no plans for a replacement despite all the speculation.""

Sorry for the 'bad' news!

StanStan

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:24 AM   #4

If'in it works......don't fix it!
Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:55 PM   #5

eeeeeeewwwww....well, ya it werks alright....no point in fixin the 30... b u t you know those are clever little rascals that bild these things, an there's a good chance that they can do us one better. While we wait tho you are right, thre's no end in sight to the fun the 30 will provide.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:05 AM   #6

Lets hope there will be an F40 and it will improve on the FZ30

The FZ30 is clearly a great cameraand its pleasing to so many top quality photos on this forum. However, the Panasonicguys are pretty smart and I'm sure thing will improve.

If by chance the Panasonic guys happen to look at these pages here's some of the things I'd like to see:

- Lower noise. I don't seethis as a big issue, but clearly there is the odd occasion when things could be cleaner.I really hope Panny don't push the megapixels without adressing the noise issue. For me low noise at 8mp would be better than a noisy 10mp.

- A bit more wide angle. 28mm would be great, 24mm fantastic. I find 35mm is just not enough on my current Olympus C5050 and I'm not keen on carrying around extra conversion lens's. For me one ofthe primary points of a prosumer camera like this is that it's self contained.

- A bigger screen, but NOT at the expense of the moveability. After the C5050 I just couldn't live without teh ability to do those low shots without kneeling or lying on the ground. PS My wife just got a Casio Exilim with 2.7 inch screen. It's just so great for reviewing your shots and showing friends and family immediately after the shots are taken.

So what do the rest of you think - if you can influence Panasonic what changes would you be asking for in the FZ40?

Pete

PS - this is my first post on Steves Forums and I'm here in the Panasonic threads because I'm looking for an upgrade to my trusty Olympus C5050. The excellent photos I've seen on these pages are what have convinced me to look closer at the Lumix range - keep them coming!! I'm sure I'll be a Panny owner soon - it's just a case of FZ30 now or holding on until the autumn to see what comes.
pdannatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:33 AM   #7

stnkline,

I think Panasonic Bob was perhaps being a bit disingenuous. Panasonic didn't announce all their new models for 2004 at PMA. The FZ15 and FZ20 were announced in the fall at Photokina. They didn't announce all their new models for 2005 at PMA either. The FZ30 was announced in the fall. Of course, it wasn't announced at Photokina since that is held every other year. I'm betting the successor to the FZ30 will be announced at Photokina 2006.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:33 AM   #8

I only hope the successor to FZ30 won't haVE the same CCD size and 10Mp.

Really it'd be better to have a 28-29mm with less tele and always 12x (or 14x) zoom.

If FZ40 won't have these features (especially a larger CCD) I won't replace my 1 year old FZ20 or I d eventually take a FZ30 when it's price iswell down.

I admit that, I am not the kind of person who succeedes in staying with the same camera for more than 2-3 years (with such a fast moving technology), but I also must say that -even with all the economical possibilities- I would feelreally upset If I found myself buying each new model of a camera (although every person ca nbehave how he feels to, and the e-bay market allows good possibilities for recovering part of the expenses)
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:09 AM   #9

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
If I found myself buying each new model of a camera (although every person ca nbehave how he feels to, and the e-bay market allows good possibilities for recovering part of the expenses)
I was able to recover almost 82 % of my cost of the FZ20 purchase [on EBAY of course] Now I have the FZ30K for $84. So I 'rented' the FZ20 for over a year for that $84. Not too bad!!!

I hope so: "I think Panasonic Bob was perhaps being a bit disingenuous." [in post from LUCKY]

Then I will do it again. Bring on the FZ[40?]

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:58 AM   #10

I've been thinking about the previous thread on this and I can't believe that Pana will not introduce an FZ40 in the summer. My only concern like Narmer's is if they use the same CCD and take it up to 10MP.

What they should do is use a slightly larger sensor 1/1.7" or 2/3 sensor and keep it pegged at 8MP and use the Venus III engine with it esp if it is really good at reducing noise. I would really like them to be different from the pack and push the UZ's into a new area and use say a 1" sensor. It may mean the FZ40 is a slightly larger cam than the FZ30, a drop in the zoom range becuase of a new lens design but I could live with that very easily esp if they could do a 28-300 lens and at f2.8 through the range. They could easily keep the EZ feature with such an FZ40 and keep that xtra zoom.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :idea: :G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote