Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:44 PM   #1

It looks like Panasonic will soon have their full line of digicams at Best Buy big box stores in the US. I was at the Best Buy in NE Philly today and they had four (4) FX01's. They aren't available on the internet yet other than from Japan via ebay at about $100 over list. Best Buy has them for the msrp of $349. The sales clerk wasn't aware of the FX01 nor did he have much regard for the Panasonic line of cameras in general. So I helped him out a bit. We checked the computer to see if the FX01 was in the system and it indicated there were 4 in the store. Not only that, almost the entire line of Panies was listed - not all in stock but many were soon to be or could be special ordered. We eventually found the FX01's locked under the counter, opened one, and the battery had a pretty good charge. I went home and brought my FZ5 back with me. He was impressed with that and soon was quite impressed with the FX01 as was I. I took around 50 shots, all indoors. Twenty or so (many at higher iso and low shutter speed so a bitnoisey)are posted along with originals at http://www.artmags.com/fx01bb/

Here is my man (he's a Nikon D70 fan) at iso800 and 1/80s

And here is the tiny FX01 in my skinny medium sized hand.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2

was curious if you tried the movie mode?
silverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:58 AM   #3

silverlight wrote:
Quote:
was curious if you tried the movie mode?
No I didn't. If you have a Best Buy near you, take a sd card with you and see if the clerk will let you take some test shots.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4

Hi Fred

I took a look at the ISO 800 full size image of the sales guy that you posted and it doesn't look too bad at all regards noise. A wee bit soft too me but nothing a wee bit of USM can't fix and it does look much better than an ISO400 from my FZ10 at full res! However, what did suprise me was the ISO400 shots frm THE FX01 - lots of noise in them so thats got me a wee bit confused as to why the ISo800 shot sgows a lot less noise than the ISO 400.

Thanks for posting those shots !

Cheers

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:43 PM   #5

I just went to best buy and bought one as I LOVE the spec's across the board, and am hoping the quality of the 848x480 video and of course great pic's is there.* will post an update once I've had a chance to spend a little time with it this weekend.Also ordered the new Fuji V10 from Amazon and will decide between these two (although the Fuji F30 coming out in May will probably be a lot better than the V10 based upon the better low-light performance and image stabilization).
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:23 PM   #6

okay.... fair to say I LOVE this cam.* Still don't know how Best Buy has these available (they got them in this week), when Panasonic direct order is saying late April availability (!!!).* They had only a couple in stock when I bought it today in NYC. I haven't had daytime yet to really test the range of quality on the photos, but like what I see so far from the photos (I'm upgrading from a Canon s500 which has excellent picture quality).* The difference I notice so far is better quality in low-light indoor settings.* Most importantly so far,*I am REALLY suprised on the upside by the quality of the video.* it was one of the important criteria for me, and am truly pleased.* The 848x480 video is suprisingly good and much better than the video I recorded using the Sanyo Xacti C6 which I tried out and ended up returning.* If I can I will post some sample video in the next couple of days.* I also really like the 28mm wide angle capability, which is useful in quite a few situations I find myself in.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:38 PM   #7

Sounds good. Thanks for the report on the video. Looking forward to some sample shots outdoors.And also verymuchlooking forward to the comparison with the Fuji F10 ( not V10?). I was very close to getting that when the fx01 was announced with 28mm wa and OIS and usable (?) iso800. Will the fuji superior sensor beat the panyOIS and "Leica" lens? Unless the fx01 totally flops (which is unlikely), the 28mm wa is the winner for me.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:12 AM   #8

Okay, uploaded some video clips from the DMC-FX01 (and will post this as a new thread as well so others can see it who aren't following this thread):

1) Distance video from deck of NYC apt, 848x480 hand-held with OIS active. 10 seconds, 15.3mb Video File 1

2) same distance video from deck of NYC apt, 848x480 at full zoom (3.6x) hand-held with OIS active. 10 seconds, 15.1mb Video File 2

3) close-range video on deck, 848x480 hand-held while walking with OIS active. 18 seconds, 28.5m Video File 3

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:28 PM   #9

That is so awesome that you got an FX01 in your hands already !!! I looked at your gallery but I personally find the lights in Best Buy to be pretty harsh for picture-taking. Have you taken any pics around your house yet? Please do share !!!
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:48 AM   #10

kimnicho wrote:
Quote:
That is so awesome that you got an FX01 in your hands already !!! I looked at your gallery but I personally find the lights in Best Buy to be pretty harsh for picture-taking. Have you taken any pics around your house yet? Please do share !!!
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't actually pruchase the FX01, just took some sample shots using my own sd card. I agree, these shots are not demonstrative of what the FX01 will do in "normal" light but I wasn't allowed to take the camera outdoors. There are some new FX01 samples and a review (in Japanese) here. I have a black FX01 on Amazon pre-order ($349)with an estimated ship date of April 4-18.