Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1

Took these while I was on vacation last week.

First, a gull in flight.

Camera = FZ20
Settings = f/8; 1/160; ISO 80; 208mm (almost 6x zoom)
Attached Images

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:01 AM   #2

Second, a gull striking a lovely pose.

Camera = FZ20
Settings = f/2.8; 1/250; ISO 80; 330m (just over 9x zoom)
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:05 AM   #3

Very nice LadyhawkVA! A BIF at 6X -- without a RDS? Good job!

Looks like some nice sunny weather for your vacation. Curious, though, vacationing at Cabrillo Beach in CA or is there another one?
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:12 AM   #4

Telecorder,

My husband was at a conference for a few days. I took a week's vacation and had a wonderful time exploring San Pedro, CA. I don't get to coastal areas very often, so any beach is a treat for me.

When the conference ended we spent several days in Long Beach. I had a nice time there too and will post some pics shortly. Again, Long Beach may not seem like a treat to California-dwellers, but it's great for us inlanders.

RDS is probably in my future. It's really tricky tracking any moving creature without it.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5

Lady....nice shots and no 2 is a cutie !!!!
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:57 AM   #6

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Telecorder,

My husband was at a conference for a few days. I took a week's vacation and had a wonderful time exploring San Pedro, CA. I don't get to coastal areas very often, so any beach is a treat for me.

When the conference ended we spent several days in Long Beach. I had a nice time there too and will post some pics shortly. Again, Long Beach may not seem like a treat to California-dwellers, but it's great for us inlanders.

RDS is probably in my future. It's really tricky tracking any moving creature without it.
As a Regional Sales Manager, I cover all of southern CA, southern NV and all of Arizona so its nice to be able to have the spouse share some of my business trips (since the room is the same price whether its just me or the two of us!)

Please post your photos from the Long Beach area. There's a lot of nice venues around there, and, if the weather is cooperative, some great scenery. Long Beach is actually getting much better in its ambiance in the last few years. It has some excellent restaurants, as well.

You're correct - tracking a moving target with any P&S digi such as a Pany is way harder than one who hasn't tried it can anticipate. Beware, though, BIF shots can be very addicting and frustrating at the same time. I liken it to golf - as long as I have at least a couple of great sweet shots on the course, it keeps me coming back for more punishment and frustration! Adding a RDS system is really the only way to go as it will dramactically increase the percentage of shots with the subject somewhere within the frame.

Now that you've posted your GIF, welcome to the esteem club! Lets see more...:-)
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:31 PM   #7

Nice pastel colors in #2.

When I am at seaside they use to fly in front of my balcony, which is in turn in front of the sea.

I spotted some, last summer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote