Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:40 PM   #1

Hi, hope you can helpI got a panasonc fx9 last month after months of review reading. Very happy apart from the movie function, its fine when i use it in and around home, quality, focus and sound are all excellent, but for some reason when have used it whilst on a couple of skiing holidays the results have been somewhat different, the focus and sound are still fine but there is a pinky/purple band down the right side of all the clips taken, the brightness of the sun has no effect, its still there even in very flat light, i sent the camera back for a new one after i got back from my first trip, i was sent a another one but the new one is just the same as the first.*Is it a fault?, am i doing something wrong? or is this to be expected? I have attached a jpg taken from one of the clips to show the problemAny comments would be greatfuly appreciatedThanks
Attached Images

qwertyuiop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:24 PM   #2

Are you sure that it is not the glare of the snow ? Or some other bright flares ?

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:39 PM   #3

Are you sure they didn't just return the same camera? If that is happening at different sun angles and in flat lighting it looks like a camera fault. Does it happen with movies taken outside at home? It might have something to do with its being cold soaked.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:45 AM   #4

this shot is from the movie - right?
If so it is normal to see this pink (by normal I mean that this is not a defect in YOUR camera). When there is a very bright and very dark parts on the sceene the pink image will appera on the LCD (and on the movie). On photos this pink line must not exist - if it is there this is a defect in your camera
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:17 AM   #5

Yes this is a shot taken from the movie (the camera stores the first frame of the clip as jpeg ), and you CAN see the pink flare in the lcd screen whilst recording. None of my photos have been a problem, even in very very bright light. None of the clips i have taken indoors or back here in the UK have had the pink flare even when taken in bright light (see attachment), it only occurs when there is snow in the shot. Its definatly not a bright light thing as its still there when i take one with it snowing hard 100% cloud cover and visability is down to 20 foot.*"SUNSTORAGE" if its is not a fault, but as you say, something to expect when filming light and dark, can i do anything to limit/eliminate it????Is it a panasonic thing or does it happen"with all makes???Is it a cold thing as stated by "SLIPE"thanks again for the advicephil
Attached Images

Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:41 AM   #6

this is a problem with all cameras (as I know) I have Canon Powershow A80 that creates the same movies/LCD problems. As I know it can not be avoid. And the snow is not the only problematic area. Tyr to create a movie on an sunset but put the sun on the edge ot the frame - you will see the same "efect/defect" (at least i see it on my FZ20). Maybe it can be avoid(redused) by using an lens hood but I have not test this.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:46 AM   #7

qwertyuiop7 indicates the haze is always on the right side with different sun angles and even in flat lighting. That isn't anywhere near the same problem as getting the sun in a sunset movie. Put the sun on a different edge and the haze will be on different side.

If they really replaced the camera rather than just checking and returning it I would guess there is a problem with the cold and that particular sensor.

You might try keeping the camera in an inside pocket where it stays warmer when skiing.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:59 AM   #8

another example taken in really bad condition, visability down to 15ft * *sunlight or big contrasts between light and dark just not there.Might try to recreate the problem at home, by putting the camera in the fridge for a while, see if the cold is an issuephil
Attached Images

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:17 AM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
qwertyuiop7 indicates the haze is always on the right side with different sun angles and even in flat lighting. That isn't anywhere near the same problem as getting the sun in a sunset movie. Put the sun on a different edge and the haze will be on different side.

If they really replaced the camera rather than just checking and returning it I would guess there is a problem with the cold and that particular sensor.

You might try keeping the camera in an inside pocket where it stays warmer when skiing.
I agree. If the pink is always at the same position there is some kind of problem with the camera
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:20 AM   #10

qwertyuiop7 wrote:
Quote:
another example taken in really bad condition, visability down to 15ftsunlight or big contrasts between light and dark just not there.Might try to recreate the problem at home, by putting the camera in the fridge for a while, see if the cold is an issuephil
I will not advise puting the camer into the fridge. It may cause condens and the you may "over-cold" the camera too. Have in mind that the camera must work between 0 and 40C.