Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:58 PM   #1

Has anyone bought or used a Lumix FZ7 here ?

I need some opinions and impressions, because I am seriously thinking of getting one after reading Steve's review.

The LCD on my Powershot S2 IS is too small, I think the FZ7 has a much bigger LCD, and also better optical stabilization on long zooms as well.

Any opinions ?

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2

I have one, so far I'm very happy. I upgraded from an FZ3, for me that was a good choice. You may want to look over the following posts.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

-Brett

Just do a search on FZ7 and check the box to search in this forum.
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:28 PM   #3

Thanks for that - I will have to ask you for advice on suitable lenses for the FZ7 later on.

Cheers !

Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:29 PM   #4

I just today received my FZ7, and haven't even had a chance to use it yet. I'm very excited to take some test pictures with it!

Steve
cheeseflavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:20 AM   #5

Can you tell me how the camera performs, and also post some pictures in macro mode, full zoom etc. ?

I am about to give up my Canon Powershot S2 IS for a Lumix FZ7, so all the details you can give me is much appreciated.

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:13 AM   #6

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
Can you tell me how the camera performs, and also post some pictures in macro mode
Macro is a one of the few weak points of the fz series. It works well at wa (1-2x zoom) up very close (2cm)and at full 12x zoom ("telemacro")from about 3ft away. In between those extremes, macro mode on the fz's is pretty much non-functional. You have to move back as the zoom is increased, which negates any magnification. Fortunately, the use of an accessory close-up lens solves this. Depending on the diopter power of the close-up lens you will be able to take shots from a fixed distance (from about 12" away with a +3 diopter lens) throughout the zoom. IMO, a good dual element achromatic is one of the most useful add-ons you can get for the fz series.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:09 AM   #7

I'm very sorry to hear that it is macro challenged. (political correctness, you know)

I just ordered The FZ7 with the intention of replacing my Olympus C-5050. :sad:

I use the C-5050 strictly for macro shots (Ebay and such) and my FZ30 covers the rest of the playing field. :-D

Oh well.....that's what I get for jumping the gun! :angry:

Can anyone suggest an adaptor that will allow the FZ7 to function in macro mode?

Thanks,
Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:02 PM   #8

The canon 250d is an excellent +4 diopter lens. It comes in 52mm and 58mm. The 52mm would be just right for the fz7 stock adapter. There are a couple of nikon 4t on ebay. There are currently in very short supply and may be soon discontiued. See the nikon 6t thread here. the 4t is a +3 diopter achromatic with 52mm and will also be perfect for the fz7 stock adapter. The fz30 will also benefit from a close-up lens. It has 55mm threads, so you might consider gettingthe 55mmolympus mcon40 (also +3) and a 52-55mm step up ring to use it with the fz7. Another excellent lens is the +4 diopter raynox dcr150. It comes with a snap on adapter that fits any diameter 52-67mm. Its disadvantage is its small diameter which results in vignetting below 3-4x. Other than that it's an excellent choice. The dcr 250 is the +8 diiopter twin of the 150 but the shallow dof makes it difficult to work with.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:28 PM   #9

Would you please advise the main improvements over the FZ3. Is the low light framing much better?

Thanks, hinsonrose
mischinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:38 PM   #10

How does the Powershot S2 IS measure up against the FZ7 ?

Image quality, focus, etc. ?