Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:04 AM   #1

Been a while since I've posted. I recently bought a new fz30. Now I'm shopping aroundfor theTcon-14b. This is new ground for me, and prices seem to be all over the place, so I need somehelp....

I see they'rebidding on ebay for $90 plus; BH and Adorama have them for around $150. BIG difference there. But even bigger difference here: I've found a place on-line where it's selling new for $66.99 and only $6 shipping/handling. Can this be right? Would someone verify that this is the right lens??? And has anyone had any experience with this outlet?

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...code=oly200540
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:14 AM   #2

I don't think that is the TCON-14B cause the rear thread sizes they stat don't match up with the B's. The rear thread for the TCON-14B = 62mm, this one is 49mm, so you probably don't want this one. You can get a TCON-17 cheaper than $150, unless you don't want a 1.7x teleconverter.

polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:18 AM   #3

Oops. I figured it out. This is Tcon-14, NOT 14b. Their 14b is 149.

I'll keep shopping.

Thanks for the quick response!!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:50 AM   #4

That is the Tcon 14 and thats a pretty nice lens its very useful if you decide to stack teleconverters.

I just wanted to add this ..while the 14B was about the best teleconverter when used with the FZ20...it does not hold the same advantage with the FZ30....

There is a Nikon lens that works the best on the FZ30 but its about a 400 dollar lens...the Tcon 17 works very well on the FZ30. At least as well as the 14B and IMHO it is better.

That was not the case with the FZ20 but it seems to be true with the FZ30.

If you have not seen this maybe you want to have a look.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:01 AM   #5

Another top qualitytele to look at is the minolta act-100. It's a 1.5x converter comparable in size and quality to the 14b. It has 49mm rear threads which is considerably smaller than the 62mm 14b but the rear pupil diameter is43mm and that's what counts (14b is about 45mm?). Konica-minolta is going out of business and you can get some good deals on ebay.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:36 AM   #6

Looks like I can get the tcon-17 at Adorama for less than $100 with shipping. I like the idea of no step ring and the price is right.

Is this it?

http://www.adorama.com/IOMTCON17.html
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:08 AM   #7

I just bought the TCon 17 for my FZ30 and after having played around with it for a few days, I can honestly say that it is a great lens for the money. I got mine on ebay brand new for $89.99 +$9.99 shipping from user id "pcline". Great to deal with. I had been watching several usedlenses and for about 10 bucks more I got a new one. People were bidding them up like crazy to ridiculous prices.I've been in the market for a Sunpak 383 flash as well and used prices are nuts for those too. One went last night for $71 + $8 shipping USED (no box or manual)and I can get one new from BH for $85 shipped. Now which one would you take?:roll:

Another lens I recently bought is the Raynox HD6600PRO-55 wide angle lens. It has 55 mm threads and fits directly on the FZ30. I have gone nuts with this lens and had a lot of fun with it. I will probably use it more than the TCon... at least for now.
adamjs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:11 AM   #8

adamjs69 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought the TCon 17 for my FZ30 and after having played around with it for a few days, I can honestly say that it is a great lens for the money. I got mine on ebay brand new for $89.99 +$9.99 shipping from user id "pcline". Great to deal with. I had been watching several usedlenses and for about 10 bucks more I got a new one. People were bidding them up like crazy to ridiculous prices.I've been in the market for a Sunpak 383 flash as well and used prices are nuts for those too. One went last night for $71 + $8 shipping USED (no box or manual)and I can get one new from BH for $85 shipped. Now which one would you take?:roll:

Another lens I recently bought is the Raynox HD6600PRO-55 wide angle lens. It has 55 mm threads and fits directly on the FZ30. I have gone nuts with this lens and had a lot of fun with it. I will probably use it more than the TCon... at least for now.
I'd love to see a few pictures from both. Could you post?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:14 AM   #9

Tcon-17 for $99.95 @ www.pemaraal.com
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:30 AM   #10

corcoj wrote:
Quote:
Looks like I can get the tcon-17 at Adorama for less than $100 with shipping. I like the idea of no step ring and the price is right.

Is this it?

http://www.adorama.com/IOMTCON17.html
yes, that's the one. it's an excellent lens for a reasonable price.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote