Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:11 PM   #11

Quote: "Da Nada -- 60 - 80'? Were you using the FZ7's EZ mode for extended optical zoom ratios on the hawk or not...? "

Here is a gallery I use, http://www.dslreports.com/pics/dimaging/193782?folder=0 I uploaded some perspectives to show distance. I would say 60 to 80 is close to about right. You may be able to judge better than I did.

I was sitting on a bench in all 4 shots, hand held and of course rapid fire in case he flew off.

Let me know if this helped.

thanks again Cheers

Tim JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:19 PM   #12

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
Were you using the FZ7's EZ mode for extended optical zoom ratios on the hawk or not...?
Yes, thanks.. The perspective shot does help on an idea of distance... In looking at the EXIF, it would appear that these weren't in the EZ mode but at the 'normal' 423mm zoom (12X)...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The reason I ask is that I'm contemplating moving up but am unsure whether to the FZ7 or 30... The EZ modes in both seem to give a bit more optical boost for the ranges that I find most of my opportunities when using my FZ5 + TCON-17

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As I said, the hawk photo, at 12X and that distance, turned out very well... (I'm jealous!)
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:22 PM   #13

"I wonder, how does the image quality of the FZ7 compare to that of the Powershot S2 IS ?

The Swan picture is nice, but seems sort of grainy ......"

That shot was off a bridge I used the 48x telephoto of the stock camera. I don't know about the other camera sorry, this picture was reduced quite a bit to fit the upload requirements of this forum I wonder if it did the pic in Justice? I'll add it to the gallery in full mode for you to compare. The link is http://www.dslreports.com/pics/dimaging/193782?folder=0

Enjoy

Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:25 PM   #14

Quote: "Yes, thanks.. The perspective shot does help on an idea of distance... In looking at the EXIF, it would appear that these weren't in the EZ mode but at the 'normal' 423mm zoom (12X)...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The reason I ask is that I'm contemplating moving up but am unsure whether to the FZ7 or 30... The EZ modes in both seem to give a bit more optical boost for the ranges that I find most of my opportunities when using my FZ5 + TCON-17

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As I said, the hawk photo, at 12X and that distance, turned out very well... (I'm jealous!) "

No problem at all, I mite be hitting you up for some Q's on the TCON 17 when the adapter ring come out for the FZ7 if you don't mind. Burr it's cold! out here today I'm thinking snow in the valley of Wine Country tonight! Gonna get up Early if it happens...
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:29 PM   #15

Tim-

As a suggestion, it'll make your posted replies a bit easier to follow/inderstand if you click on the 'Quote' button on the poster's section where they're asking a question. This should put the section to quoted in a grey highlighted area to make it stand out. Then, you can left click in the framed quote section and backspace out the extraneous words, leaving just their question.

Then left click on the black section just under the quoted frame and type in your response to their question... It just makes it easier for the person that you're replying to in answer to their question that its in response to them. It also makes it easier for other readers to see both the original question and your specific reply in the same post without having to scroll up to find the original question...
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:41 PM   #16

Tim JL wrote:
Quote:
No problem at all, I mite be hitting you up for some Q's on the TCON 17 when the adapter ring come out for the FZ& if you don't mind. Burr it's cold! out here today I'm thinking snow in the valley of Wine Country tonight! Gonna get up Early if it happens...
That's what the forums are about. I probably won't be able to address many questions on the mounting of the TCON-17 to the FZ adapter. From what I've read, the stock adapter that comes with the FZ7 is 52mm and you have to purchase a separate one that is a 55mm thread.

You'll possibly have two alternatives to mount a TCON-17 to it. You could use a stepup ring 52 - 55mm and use the 52mm one that comes with the camera or you can thread the TC17 onto the purchased 55mm one. In either case, you'll need to inspect the threads on both Pany adapters. If they did the FZ7 versions like the FZ5, there will possibly be a mm or two of blank plastic with no threads at the start of the adapter. Apparently they did/do this to make for a snugger fit of the lens cover.

This issue, though, creates a problem attaching things with shallow threads, like the TC17 since there is not enough thread contact between the two. In the FZ5 adapter, most sand the extra mm or so down to the starter thread, and attach a metal UV(O) filter. This gives better protection to the camera lens andaffords deeper, metal threads for the TC17 threads for a stronger, more secure connection.

Down here in SoCal, they're talking possibly as much as 2' of snow in the local mountains and snow possibly down to 3,000' elevation (I live in the High Desert and my elevation is 3001'... ;-{) But, hey, we only have to shovel it once every 8-10 years and its most always melted away by 2:00 PM in the afternoon! Other than that, I get to look out my home office window at the mountains and enjoy!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:54 PM   #17

Tim JL wrote:
Quote:
I guess I can only do one picture at a time...
Tim-

You can post multiple photos in the one post by inserting the http/URL links on separate lines (see example below - the *'s are just to keep the photos from loading/being posted in this example)... The key issue is to limit the width size (usually 800 is good) and the file size (<~165kb). The biggest issue is for those on dialup, their down loads can get tedious. If you have a lot of photos, its good to indicate in your topic title as a warning...

*http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...6_filtered.jpg*

*http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...3-Cropped1.jpg*