Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:37 AM   #21

This cruise is for my 40th and mother's 70th birthdays. I thought it would be a nice way to celebrate our milestones.

I want the FZ30 RAW feature to fix my pictures. The S1 IS does not do RAW and many shots were not able to get fixed properly. My S45 RAW mode allowed me to save pictures and adjust settings. Any way to shoot in RAW mode at a smaller setting?

I read about reducing MP to increase optical zoom. I want to research more on this.

Yes, JPG is not loseless and completely uncompressed. The pictures are changed from RAW to JPG at the best quality non-compressed settings that the software would allow. You can definitely see the difference. The size was 25% smaller.

I was considering a DSC-H1 that was just JPG. Taking low light pictures with JPG did not allow me to clean them up as easily as RAW. I wish I could find a 5-6MP camera with 12X optical zoom and RAW that was not SLR. I don't need FZ30 high MP. Just wanted RAW to be able to clean up my mistakes easier. The H1 does do low light very well, according to a few articles Ive read. It handledit better than the S2 IS. What do you think? Don't want to spend a lot on a camera for a few times a year.

I usually get a camera bag for all my stuff. I will be carrying the

S45, three batteries, two 256MB sticks for it.
X-drive 3310 storage device with 80-120GB hard drive and extra battery pack for it
FZ30, two extra batteries and filters.

S45 is my backup in case the main fails, stolen, or lost.

My mother will be taking my S1 IS and Super Digibin for her use. I have three sets of AA for it. Super Digibin is a 30GB CF reader storage device. Not bad.

I usually leave the rechargers in the cabin on the ship. They don't get messed with by the crew. No tripod or monopods. Most places don't allow them. Plus, too bulky to carry.

Corpsy </forums/view_user.php?id=56487>
wrote:

I need to get to bed soon as well, but I just wanted to put these thoughts down before I did so.

If you're just doing lower resolution web graphics and video stuff, why isn't the S1 IS good enough? My mom has this camera (I picked it out for her) and it takes excellent pictures, and 3.2 megapixel is far larger than 800 pixels wide. I'm not sure there'd be much noticeable difference between images from either camera at that size. The FZ30 does have more advanced features and slightly more zoom, but I'm not sure these would make much difference to you. In fact, since the FZ30 is significantly larger, it might be more inconvenient.

If you'll be taking a lot of zoomed in outdoor pictures at day time however, you might really enjoy the FZ30's Extended Zoom feature which allows you to take 3mp images at about 19x zoom.

I don't think I understand why you shoot in RAW. The major benefits of RAW are that you can completely alter the white balance after taking the shot, and you can recover details that a JPG throws out, mostly in the dark areas, but you use software to automatically convert RAW images to JPGs. You realize there's no such thing as lossless, uncompressed JPG, right? Even at the maximum quality level, it throws out a good deal of detail, just nothing that a person can really notice, even under pretty close scrutiny. Basically, if you're using software to automatically convert all your RAW images to JPG, you might as well shoot in high quality JPG mode.

Anyway, if you do plan on getting the FZ30, here's some of the accessories I got for my next vacation. I picked up a Lowepro camera bag, the REZO TLZ 10. It was only $25, has metal hooks for the shoulder strap and a velcro belt loop. The camera fits very snugly. I bought it because I thought it would be perfect to carry the camera on bike rides, and today I found out that it was. I barely noticed I was carrying it on my 2 hour trek.

I got two memory cards. One Sandisk Ultra II SD 1 gig, and also a 1 gig Ultra II USB. The USB memory card folds in half and can be inserted directly into a USB port. If you're wondering why I got one USB SD card, here's why:

Finally, I picked up an Archos Gmini 402. This is basically like a video Ipod with 20 gigs of storage. You can play MP3s on it, watch videos, and here's the cool part, it has an attachment that gives it a USB port. This allows me to plug in the Ultra II SD USB directly to the device and transfer all my images to it while I continue shooting on my other memory card. When it's done transferring, I can empty the card and use it again. Even better, the Gmini can accept all file types, including RAW, and while it can't read most RAW images, it can certainly read the JPG files and is able to zoom up close so you can see just how sharp your images are.

The device cost me a bit over $250, and it comes with a high quality leather case with a belt loop. The attachment with the USB SD card in it can be tucked away in the case while the data transfers, so it's extremely convenient. Of course, you can later on connect the Gmini to your computer and transfer all your images. I bought it for the ability to store images, but also to keep my friend occupied during the trip. It has another attachment that allows you to plug it into a tv's video and audio ports and watch the videos on the tv at full resolution so I can store movies on it to watch at the hotel (if their tv has the inputs). I like compressing my own XVID movies, so this works out well.

mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:43 PM   #22

The extended zoom only works for JPG. RAW photos can only be taken at one size and one quality level.I'm at work right now and can't really look into the H1. Maybe I'll read up on it later.As I've said, I find that shooting RAW hardly benefits you at all with this camera as far as correcting exposure due to the noise levels. On an SLR, it's a completely different story. When shooting RAW you lose a lot of the speed and capabilities that this camera offers, so if you are serious about always shooting RAW, then perhaps the 5D would be a good choice. I've seen instances where people posted medium quality JPG images they took with their 5D that I could easily brighten to the equivilant of 800 ISO that you simply could not do with RAW images from the FZ30. The FZ30 simply does not capture much detail in the dark areas.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:58 PM   #23

No problem. Work comes first. I am at work too. I am repairing a Groupwise post office.

Still researching the FZ30. When shooting in RAW does the standard 12x optical zoom work? H1 is $100-$150 less and does most of what I want other then RAW.

[align=center]

Sensor

• 1/2.4" Super HAD CCD
• 5.1 million pixels total
• 5.1 million effective pixels[/align]

Image sizes
• 2592 x 1944
• 2592 x 1728 (3:2)
• 2048 x 1536
• 1280 x 960
• 640 x 480

Movie clips
• 640 x 480 @ 16 / 30 fps
• 160 x 112 @ 8 fps

File formats

• Still: JPEG
• Movie: MEPG VX
• Sound: Yes

Lens
• 36 - 432 mm (35 mm equiv) 12x optical zoom
• F 2.8 - F 3.7

Image stabilization
Super Steady Shot fights motion blur during longer exposures at full zoom

Conversion lenses
Wideangle, telephoto, close-up
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:18 PM   #24

Yes, the optical zoom works just fine in RAW mode.

Compared to the H1, I think the FZ30 would do better in low light. The sample images seem to indicate that the H1 is somewhat cleaner at ISO 400, while a bit smudgy and less detailed. More significant though is that while at full wide angle, its stabilizer is only reliably effective at 1/50 shutter speed, while the FZ30 is reliable at 1/13. With practise, I find I can get even longer exposures, though sometimes they take a couple tries.

I still don't believe you'll see much improvement over the Canon S1 though. For web and video, it's just not much of an upgrade. If you don't think you want to move up to SLR, I just don't know if it would be worth the money.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:04 PM   #25

Did you use the KM 5D that you recommended?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"$699.95
KM Maxxum 5D
6.1 MP
18mm-70mm f/3.5 - 5.6(D) AF DT Zoom Lens

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I would need some other lens for it. What would KM lens you recommend for darker conditions? How would this lens compare to the FZ30? It does use CF II and I could share with my other cameras. What other KM lens might I want?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can I set the FZ30 to 5MP and shoot JPG and get a better optical zoom range? It seems like you don't recommend RAW on the FZ30 for most shooting?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I do appreciate your time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:35 PM   #26

I have the KM5D and added a 50mm lens with a 1.7 aperture to the kit. (I also got a 75-300 Sigma Zoom 4-5.6 lens for tele purposes). With a 1.7 aperture, built-in IS, and usable ISO up to 3200, one can take handheld shots in almost complete darkness. It's amazing. But even at the full zoom (300mm = 450 mm equivalent),and a 5.6 aperture withISO 1600, the KM5D is a lot less noisy than the FZ30 would be at 3.7 and400.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:38 PM   #27

Which 50mm lens with f/1.7?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:40 PM   #28

Genuine Minolta, AF mount. Got it on ebay for less than $50.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:43 PM   #29

Not bad price at B&H but out of stock.

Konica Minolta USA

Price : $ 79.95

Shipping Cost

Normal AF 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus Lens

Mfr # 2613600 B&H # MI5017AF
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:01 PM   #30

Yes, that's the same one I got. Seems like they are getting more popular. I checked on ebay and they are running $60+ now.